The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

A few more new things for the release map: a simple peasant chair and some fruit.

fruit.jpg

Cool, but I'd have made the pears more yellow-greenish instead of red - right now they look like pear-shaped apples :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There are many varieties. :)

Ok ok so we need skins :P

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The low poly one just has a square with a transparent texture for the leaves, so if you look at it on an angle it looks terrible. The higher poly one (I don't think 266 polys is a big deal, especially since less than half are shadowcasting) has separate leaves. Mappers have a choice this way. If the weeds aren't going to be particularly noticeable, then the lowpoly one is fine. If they are, then the other is available.

dandelions2.jpg

OK, I guess the leaves are more complicated than I thought. I think on the detailed ones the leaves could be as low as 4 polys, then they could still be V shaped.

The stem could deffinately be 4 sided, maybe 3. Either way they look good.

Great looking apple and pear too. I guess if I'd get back to work you wouldn't keep 'beating' me to the punch. :) I had those both planned for awhile.

I think the skin looks great on both. In fact I think we could double up a green and yellow skin for both too. Sure in real life they do have different textures but in game I think it's negligable. One thing that could make them look different is give the pear no specular and the apple a good shine.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Edible apple inventory object anyone? When used, it gets "eaten" and... wait for it... replaced with an apple core.

omg realism

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Edible apple inventory object anyone? When used, it gets "eaten" and... wait for it... replaced with an apple core.

omg realism

Your mission, should you accept it, is to find all 127 apples strewn across the city and replace them with apple cores. Good luck, and try not to belch to loudly. This message will eat itself in 5...4...3...2...1...*crunch*

omg realism

Don't know why exactly, but that quite appeals to me. So many times in Thief missions we pinched apples, and ate them right away or took them with us, never to see another trace of them. In contrast, picking one up off a table, eating it, and then setting down the eaten core, seems that it would rock for some reason. Flag it as noticeable loot, and you're set. ^_^

"Hey! Who did this?!"

"Alright, that's it! Which taffer ate my taffing midnight snack?! I am so going to kill you now!"

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I love your dandelions, though they appear to be suffering from z-fighting with their own shadow-volumes:

post-244-1204932112_thumb.jpg

I think this is because you've modeled both sides of the leaves coplanar to eachother; the shadow-volume from the back-face z-fights with the front-face. Probably the easiest solution would be to turn off shadows for the leaves (if missing shadows aren't noticeable for 4 of the leaves, will they noticeable for the other 4?).

Also, you don't need to model both sides of the leaves; it's generally better to rely on the twosided material keyword for that (twosided even automatically turns off shadows to prevent exactly this problem).

I love your dandelions, though they appear to be suffering from z-fighting with their own shadow-volumes:

That's odd, I've never seen that happen on my system.

the shadow-volume from the back-face z-fights with the front-face.

How is that possible? If they're coplanar, they can't cast a shadow on each other--or at least they shouldn't be able to. There are lots of models that have coplanar polys that don't seem to have any z-fighting (at least on my system, but I don't see it for this model either). Do you notice this for other models?

edit: I tried a few experiments, lighting them from weird angles, and I can't duplicate that problem. Anyone else notice it?

If you crouch down and look at the model, you still don't see any z-fighting? (the screenshot above is from citybeta, at the start)

It's possible for it to cast shadows on itself, because the two sides of the leaf face opposite directions but occupy the same position: The problem is that the bottom side of the leaf is casting a shadow, and the top side is (barely) intersecting with that shadow.

Overlapping coplanar faces can be ok when they have identical triangles, but the shadow volume is calculated slightly differently on the GPU so its triangles are slightly different from the leaves' triangles which causes z-fighting.

Can you point out which other models have overlapping coplanar faces, and I'll describe if I'm experiencing any problems?

More than one of the AI models have coplanar faces--the citywatch tunic bottom is one I know off the top of my head. I'm fairly certain the breastplate.lwo does as well. I know there are lots of other ones.

I'll fire up citybeta and check that one out. Crouching, or moving the model up into the air, does not cause z-fighting in my model testmap.

edit: Nope. I tried crouching, circling, and everything short of noclipping--no z-fighting at any angle (though I did notice some z-fighting on the floor at the top of the stairs). Odd.

Anyone else see this?

I can see this on the dandelions, although it's subtle. Seems to be a similar problem to the one we had for the weapon metal shaders with twosided + forceshadows. Maybe it depends on the graphics cards whether this can be seen or not?

Very nice model though. :)

Maybe it depends on the graphics cards whether this can be seen or not?

Well that's not exactly ideal. Models might look perfectly fine on one card and be messed up on another?

Have you noticed this for any other models, Angua? I can fix this one fairly easily, but there are lots of other models doing essentially the same thing.

I made a series of dirty windows for the releasemap. They're darker and grimier, and actually look more like horn than glass (polished horn was often used for windows when glass was too expensive). There is a version with broken panels as well on the end.

windows1.jpg

I've gotten a little tired of seeing the same door textures over and over again, so I made 4 new ones. All of them were made by making slight modifications to existing textures in the model folder. I haven't added them to the door models yet.

doors1.jpg

I've gotten a little tired of seeing the same door textures over and over again, so I made 4 new ones. All of them were made by making slight modifications to existing textures in the model folder. I haven't added them to the door models yet.

I like them, especially the first "plain planks" one is very very useful!

Something Fidcal said about bowls made me realize that we actually didn't have any regular, kitchen bowl models. I went ahead and made some. Three different sizes, two skins, and a version with stew in it. I also made a new wooden spoon model, with a long serving version and a small eating version. That should spice up our kitchens a bit and looks more appropriate for the release map than fancy silverware and china plates.

bowls.jpg

Something Fidcal said about bowls made me realize that we actually didn't have any regular, kitchen bowl models. I went ahead and made some. Three different sizes, two skins, and a version with stew in it. I also made a new wooden spoon model, with a long serving version and a small eating version. That should spice up our kitchens a bit and looks more appropriate for the release map than fancy silverware and china plates.

Very cool as usual! :D The spoon and bowl look a bit edgy, tho, is there a way to "smooth" them so they appear rounder? Maybe by using "smoother" normalmaps or something?