The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Made a simple spinning wheel:

That looks sweet :wub:

The wheel it a bit blocky, which can be explained by it being made from small wooden beams, but it seems the number of sprokes and wheel parts don't match up, every other is floating free. You either need more sprokes or less parts or so :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The wheel it a bit blocky, which can be explained by it being made from small wooden beams,

It can also be explained by the desire to keep the model less than 1000 polys.

It can also be explained by the desire to keep the model less than 1000 polys.

I didn't say being "blocky" was bad. Just that the current blocks and the sprokes don't rhyme.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You're saying we should actually integrate the fact that it's not perfectly round into the gameworld by making the edges part of the construction. I'm saying we should assume it's round in the gameworld and that it looks slightly less round in reality because of poly restrictions. I think players are capable of using a little suspension of disbelief (if not, they're going to have a hard time with our six-sided goblets and octagonal stools).

You're saying we should actually integrate the fact that it's not perfectly round into the gameworld by making the edges part of the construction. I'm saying we should assume it's round in the gameworld and that it looks slightly less round in reality because of poly restrictions. I think players are capable of using a little suspension of disbelief (if not, they're going to have a hard time with our six-sided goblets and octagonal stools).

Did you accidentily mix up "gameworld" and "reality" above? (Otherwise the sentence makes no sense to me :)

Anyway, this is not really important.

• 1 month later...

Now that I'm starting to get into mapping, I'm letting my map direct my modeling. I'm trying to create a lot of easy-to-slot-in decorative architectural stuff, like the image below.

What would you call something like this? Is there a technical name for those little additions that jut out?

post-9-1226345021_thumb.jpg

Aren't they called awnings?

Looks good btw

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Now that I'm starting to get into mapping, I'm letting my map direct my modeling. I'm trying to create a lot of easy-to-slot-in decorative architectural stuff, like the image below.

What would you call something like this? Is there a technical name for those little additions that jut out?

The German word is "Erker":

http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=...r&relink=on

Not sure if the translations are correct.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_window

Note that in medivial times (as shown in the example from "Burg Eltz" in the German wikipedia) the erker was for the chapel because over the roof of the chapel there should be nothing except sky (e.g. no other storey) because it should have a "contact" to god above. (That's what they told me :)

Nice model. :)

Aren't they called awnings?

Not quite, an awning is a covering rather than part of the architecture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awning

Yeah, I agree that looks closest.

Now now, we don't want to name things incorrectly here, let's keep it professional guys.

?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I don't think I'll name it bay_window, since it could just as easily not have any windows in it. It's really a way of extending the room. I'll probably just call it "jutting_out_room" or something.

• 3 months later...

We need a few more commoner heads, so I put this one together. It has five skins--two with leather caps for commoners (right), two guard versions with chainmail (left) and one with a cloth coif (center) that could be either commoner or guard.

heads2.jpg

It's commoner_head03--I'll add it to the head wiki shortly. I've got another similar one on the go as well and it should be ready in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another commoner head. It uses the same texture as the citywatch, but the expression and shape of the face is different, and I've added ears and the back of the head. I've got one more version I'm going to finish with hair, and then that will be it for 1.0.

heads9.jpg

Nice. Think I'll go through now and see what variations we have including attachments. I've decided to go for an uncomplicated mansion heist so I'm looking for any that can be used as servants as well as guards around the house. Might have to use the nobleman though.

Think I'll go through now and see what variations we have including attachments.

Yes, I was experimenting with attachments on heads, but was getting crashes in ragdoll state. I think that was fixed in the meantime but I haven't gone back to check yet.

I'm looking for any that can be used as servants

The commoner is the default servant character, though he needs a few skins. That will probably be my next job. I have a nobleman model almost rigged for the new skeleton but I'm not rushing that as it could be a while before the new skeleton is usable.

We need a few more commoner heads, so I put this one together. It has five skins--two with leather caps for commoners (right), two guard versions with chainmail (left) and one with a cloth coif (center) that could be either commoner or guard.

heads2.jpg

It's commoner_head03--I'll add it to the head wiki shortly. I've got another similar one on the go as well and it should be ready in a few days.

This commoner_head03 doesn't look like in the above pictures - more like a builder head. And how do we set skins on heads?

Also there is something on the wiki about removing inherited attachments but I can't see, for instance, the hat on one of my commoners listed so I don't see how to remove it.

This commoner_head03 doesn't look like in the above pictures - more like a builder head. And how do we set skins on heads?

If you're getting a builder head then the entity hasn't been entered properly--at some point it became the default 'error' entity, rather than the old black box. Did you remember to remove the spaces from the name?

Also there is something on the wiki about removing inherited attachments but I can't see, for instance, the hat on one of my commoners listed so I don't see how to remove it.

None of those images use attachments. They're all built into the mesh and are 'removed' by using textures/common/nodraw.

And how do we set skins on heads?

You can't, as far as I know, because they don't show up in the editor. That's why I'm creating a separate entitydef for each skin:

entityDef atdm:ai_head_commoner03
{
"inherit"	"atdm:ai_head_base"
"model"		"head_commoner_03"
"skin"		  "heads/commoner_03_default"
}

entityDef atdm:ai_head_commoner03_eyepatch
{
"skin"		  "heads/commoner_03_eyepatch"
}

entityDef atdm:ai_head_guard03_chaincoif
{
"skin"		  "heads/commoner_03_chainmail"
}

entityDef atdm:ai_head_guard03_clothcoif
{
"skin"		  "heads/commoner_03_clothcoif"
}

entityDef atdm:ai_head_guard03_chaincoif_eyepatch
{
"skin"		  "heads/commoner_03_chainmail_eyepatch"
}

We'll probably have to do the same thing for attachments.

Shall I change the first one to _01 to be consistent?

The name of the model shouldn't make any difference as the mapper only uses the entitydef.

Ok, here's the last one, with three variations. While I might play around with some attachments, that's probably all the heads I'll do until after release.

commoner05s.jpg

For those interested, that's:

Citywatch heads: 4

Generic Guard heads: 11

Builder Guard heads: 3

Nobleman heads: 4

Commoner heads: 9

You can see them all at: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...vailable_for_AI

Also, I've made a little compass to take care of tracker entry #0001527. I was going to poke around and get the needle to rotate the same way the inventory one does, but I don't really have the time at the moment. Someone else can feel free if they're interested.

In the meantime, I was wondering where mappers think this should go. Should it be player equipment (it doesn't really look anything like the player compass, but it's probably the model that will be used for the inventory object in the world) or should it be nautical?

post-9-1235609008_thumb.jpg

Nearly impossible to categorize the compass

Not strictly player tool because it would be the only one that isn't used and if it were set up like the player compass then the needle would have to face forward and the model rotate around it so the cover would obscure it at the front. But this folder does have the advantage that it keeps the compasses together and it is a personal tool.

Not really a nautical compass which are more subsantial - more of a personal land compass.

Mechanical\instruments ?

Misc ?

Tools\Instruments and move the drawing_compass in there with it?

The new heads are fine. There is now a good selection and some good character faces but I might look today at producing two more skins mainly to re-colour the tunics.

Also, it must be possible to make those gallery images stack vertically so the names can fit on one line and thus not include spaces? That is a real pain even when you know about it. With the text at the side of the image it should look OK, left or right.