The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

So what do you get if you just have a regular nobleman with no skin? He should look like the shiny green one. If he doesn't I've missed a file somewhere.

Ah that's it. I think that might catch a few out as some AI have a selectable default skin so it looks like selecting green is the default because going back to the original it looks the same. Oh well. I missed the boat on that one.

Maybe I'll make a slightly darker editor image for that one, as that might trip some people up.

Ok, I'm uploading my furniture set_01. You've seen some of these before. Basically it's a set of furniture that shares the same seven skins, so that mappers can create a consistent decor in their maps. Individually they're not the most beautiful models I've ever made, but they're designed to be functional, re-using existing wood textures and with separate doors that can be set to open where appropriate.

The set includes:

1. Desk

2. Flip Desk (open & closed with separate door)

3. Chair

4. Bench

5. Flat Bench

6. End Table

7. Dining Table

8. Dresser

9. Tall Cabinet/Wardrobe (open & closed with separate door)

All but 1&5 are visible below.

set01_3.jpg

Sweet. I just put some of em in my map, looking good.

I found two little things

Shadowy Z-fighting

post-2207-1241658250_thumb.jpg

a missing "piece". You can see this is the model viewer in DR as well.

post-2207-1241658281_thumb.jpg

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

The first one I already caught (just didn't upload yet) but I hadn't noticed the second one. Thanks. :)

Glad I could help :D

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• 2 months later...

Ok, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish this in time (weighting the shoulder shawl was a bitch) but I've gotten the priest rigged to the new skeleton. That means he'll be able to sit and sleep and play all the regular animations the other characters can. And he won't have those awful mitten hands.

I've made two entities, a civilian (the current one) and a combatant that has a golden hammer attached.

I still need to make the priest hat an attachable object, and then I'll finish off the heads. Oh, and he won't cast a shadow yet as I haven't added a shadowmesh.

priest1.jpg

After 1.0, it will be trivial to turn this mesh into a mage character.

Sweet :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yay, more characters! :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The right head seems to be a tad to small for the body, but the rest is of course cool. :) It would probably be easy to add a few colour-varying skins for that guy.

Do builder priests cast magic?

The right head seems to be a tad to small for the body,

I agree it looks that way, but I'm pretty sure it's just perspective, as the two heads are virtually the same size.

Do builder priests cast magic?

At the moment, no. I was toying with the idea of trying to replace their "bottle" projectile with an imp fireball, but as I don't know much about projectiles I think that would take me more time than it's worth. If it's just a matter of copying over an entity or something, and someone doesn't mind doing it, I think that would be a cool little effect. But anything beyond that will have to wait until after 1.0.

IIRC there's just a spawnarg for the AI's projectile. Should be an easy change.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Would builders really use magic? I see them as opposed to magic generally. If they throw anything other than small hammers it might be hard to differentiate them from mages. Perhaps something with a holy aspect could be devised but hard to see what.

Fire is considered somewhat "holy" in Builder mythology, as it is necessary to shape metal and build tools. The wiki refers to some priests being able to call holy fire. Obviously, "miracles" that come from God are different than "sorcery" that comes from evil instruments of darkness...even if they happen to look similar. ;)

One man's miracle is another's evil magic :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I'm going to abuse this thread here. :)

@Springheel: we have a few files where I don't know what to do about them.

skins/test_springheel.skin

skins/test_shadowmesh.skin

materials/springheels_characters.mtr

materials/springheels_old_skin_series.mtr

Can we safely leave them out or are their contents referenced by any models we release?

I'll have to check the skins. The other ones are definitely used. I'll sort them into the appropriate spots.

More specifically, there are problems with the following files:

WARNING: Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/guards/citywatch/leather_tunic02

WARNING: Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/guards/proguard_02/skins/proguard02_chainmail_worn

WARNING: Couldn't load image: tdm_commoner_tunic_greenish

WARNING: Couldn't load image: tunic_inside

These are referenced in test_springheel.skin

WARNING: Couldn't load image: models/md5/chars/thief/thief1_local

Used in springheel_characters, models/md5/chars/inventors/engineer2/engineer_collar/ties

file was removed some time ago

WARNING: Could not find head entityDef atdm:ai_head_commoner03!

used in atdm:ai_guard_brute and env_ragdoll_guard_thug

On a side note: I just made a test map with all (well, most) available characters and their skins as well as all the heads. Man, we do have a lot of variety now! :) It's test/ai_skins.map

Yeah, the springheel files contain some experiments that didn't pan out, which is why I like to keep all the stuff in those particular files. I'll move out the things that are working and needed, and then the rest of the file(s) can be removed from the package.

Yeah, the springheel files contain some experiments that didn't pan out, which is why I like to keep all the stuff in those particular files. I'll move out the things that are working and needed, and then the rest of the file(s) can be removed from the package.

Excellent, thanks.

On a side note: I just made a test map with all (well, most) available characters and their skins as well as all the heads. Man, we do have a lot of variety now! :) It's test/ai_skins.map

Great! Are all of these also to be released? Or in other words, could we split it up so we have a map which only contains AI that is to be released? That would be very helpful as I could use it to automatically check that the package we build doesn't miss a material/skin/tga etc. file.

Edit: An updated startpack.map would contain such a list,too, right? Since we already use startpack map to test the package, getting it updated would also serve the purpose. But having another reference map can't hurt :)