The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

That's one stove I wouldn't mind owning, even if it would be a chore to heat.

My family had one of these when we lived back in Ierland, its not that hard to heat. Unlike a regular fire once upto to temperature it keep that heat for a lot longer - due to all the lovely cast iron.

The new stove reminded me that the large couldron and couldron_large needs some skining, the chamberpot & small couldron skin work on them. So springs if you dont have any objection i will creat the skin entry for those two items.

the chamberpot & small couldron skin work on them. So springs if you dont have any objection i will creat the skin entry for those two items.

I changed the uvmap to get those skins to work, so I'll need to do the same for the larger cauldrons...I will probably add a couple more polys to round them out at the same time, so maybe wait on the skins for them.

Also how do you do these models? do you draw the textures yourself or pull them from othersources? because the work is all very high quality (not doubting your ability just curious)

One thing I always do now is work from reference pictures of antique objects. Then I usually look to see what textures we already have that can work (reusing textures helps reduce loading times and mod bloat). If we don't have anything suitable I'll go searching online for things I can use, though I usually only use bits and pieces of things rather than taking entire textures. The pattern on the stove doors is actually pieces of a clip-art border, modified and then run through a nvidia filter, for example.

I've also discovered the power of dirt decals to simulate ambient occlusion. The top of the stove is perfectly flat, but there are a couple decals there that make it look like there is a raised area with round lids (a detail I learned about from studying reference pictures).

post-9-0-70127200-1406377572_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I will probably add a couple more polys to round them out at the same time, so maybe wait on the skins for them.

I've already updated the tdm_gen_metal.mtr file, but one thing I noticed on all those related models and the new wall shelf is some texture stretching.

Cool, will this cause any problems if the player uses the spyglass to zoom in on AI?

The worst that will happen is you'll see a lower-poly stage, and the transition from one to the other is more noticable. It also depends what you have your LOD settings at...if you don't want to see the transitions even through the spyglass, you'll need to set your LOD setting to High or Very High.

Here is a shot from the edge of the transition to LOD stage 2, looking through the spyglass on Normal setting. You can see some differences, but you have to look for them.

My approach in general is to have transitions just a little noticeable on Normal. One step higher and they're barely noticeable.

post-9-0-25676900-1406592600_thumb.jpg

Could you make a model with placeable doors? like I did for the square stove

Ok, I've added an open stove and two separate door models...I'll leave it up to someone else to make them a prefab.

Also fixed the uvmap on the cauldron and large cauldron...I don't have time to make higher poly versions right now, but the skins look decent.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use the model viewer in DR, it lists the material shader names used by the model being viewed.