The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

I think I already did upload an empty version of at least one of them, didn't I? In any case, I can do that, but if you don't want to wait you can just make a skin that sets the plant material (name in DR) to noshadows.

Cant quite tell on my phone, but Are you sure you've got the doors facing the right way?

Yes, probably a missing file. Is this using SVN or your own pk4? Do the doors look correct on the normal stove?

If the stove is working on SVN and not in your pk4, then you're missing a file. If it's not working on SVN, then there's a file I didn't upload.

Check the console. It should tell somethig about a missing texture.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

In my tests with 10 AI and 2 lights, I was getting a 5-6 FPS boost, and most of the 10 heads weren't using LOD yet. Since each head is over 1000 polys on its own, I imagine I can get another 3-4 from them.

• Like 1

could you make some more book row models

Added another alternate version.

I've created three different LOD versions:

High poly (within 80 units on Normal) 5972 polys, 3403 shadowcasting

Medium (within 250 units) 5012 polys, 1877 shadowcasting

Low (beyond 250 units) 2328 polys, 847 shadowcasting

Why stop there? If I remember correctly there are 7 or so possible LOD stages. Low poly models don't have to be pretty so they can be easily created with automatic decimation.

It's only a model...

I actually did make one more lower stage this afternoon (1954 polys, 423 shadowcasting). But trying to reduce it further winds up with all kinds of messiness, and I don't have time to do them carefully by hand if I'm going to be doing all the AI. Someone else is welcome to come up with even lower versions if they like.

• Like 1

It is very good to see the LOD stages getting used, especially for the AI. :wub:

Four stages are probably enough - it is unlikely that you have more than a few AI so far aways that them having 1000 less polys will make a difference. Unlike a forest or other types of objects. And four stages is still miles ahead of one stage :)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Springheel, could you please post a comparisation between the stages with show_tris on?

It might be an idea to explore the possibility of an extra-high-detail stage, for players with the hardware, and close-up shots in cutscenes. Not sure if a 12K (compared to the 6K) tris version makes a difference, though.

In any event, very nice work.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax