The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Ok, I've uploaded a version with a number of skins (30 bottles, 203KB). It's designed so that two models will fill a rack. You can offset them slightly and use skins on either or both to keep things somewhat varied.

The image below has the default texture on the right and the primarily green skin on the left.

post-9-0-41338700-1417567505_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Springheel,

This is a bit of a random request, but would you be interested in making an alternate skin for the player hands?

In my upcoming two-part FM the player is a Builder novice and it would be a nice touch if the black/green/brown of the player hands was reskinned for red and white.

What do you think?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...
Is there a version of that with a seperate window/s..? and is theree matching ceiling and or floor segments..?

There's a version with just a hole where the window is, so mappers can insert their own window.

The floors and ceilings are just brushes. The same facade concept could also be done with them, but I'm not sure the payoff would be as large...I question how much attention players pay to the floor or ceiling.

I've got 12 different segments complete and will probably do one or two more to flesh out this set. The nice thing is that future segments would be relatively easy to make by modifying existing ones.

I've got 12 different segments complete and will probably do one or two more to flesh out this set. The nice thing is that future segments would be relatively easy to make by modifying existing ones.

Excellent. Even a basic set is often enough: Ulysses for example used only

1x plain wall

1x window

1x doorway

1x niche

1x arch

for the mansion part. If you use different skins, the modules are even more useful.

The only downside with such a high quality AAA modules is that it will make challgening to mix modules and hand-built sections without making the detail contrast apparent. But that is a very minor downside... ;) Having these modules will be great: with them, almost ANYONE can create good looking mansions.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

That's a nice list already! One addition would be important: a niche of some sort. Large enough to fit the player, a decorative table or a statue.

A niche large enough to have a gameplay effect. A variant with an open end would good too, so that the mapper could put anything into the bottom of the niche: a doorway, a secret passage, or a small room-like alcove.

It is a sneaking game and you need to have small hiding spots here and there. Plus a good-looking niche adds nice variety for a long corridor made of same modules.

Just a suggestion for your consideration.

Clipper

The "deadend" piece can work that way, although I can see the value in something a bit smaller. Shouldn't be hard to do.

Is that a single module? Looks really good!

Just a note, though, that modules should be as elementary as possible. So that one could construct a variety of staircases for many purposes from smaller pieces.

Having a large single module removes that freedom: your layout is fixed and it may get repetitive if all stairs look the same. Good stair modules are difficult to design overall: the module will always be func_static, but the AI must walk on it, so the mapper must build monsterclip to allow movement anyway. Also, the more solid details your stairs have (the small extension tip on the top of the stair), the more jerky AI/player movement is on the stairs. I recommend you test if there is jerkiness in AI/player movement. I had to completely redesign stairs for U1 when I did the modules, just because of this.

In the end, I decided to generally avoid making model stair modules. It is perhaps more handy to have worldspawn stair templates with func_static decorations (stair tips, carpets). Worldspawn core makes the stair automatically traversable for the AI, and the deco fs can be turned non-solid to allow smooth movement.

Clipper

Is that a single module? Looks really good!

Yes, thanks. Obviously it's not as generic as other modules in the kit, though now that I have the most complex version, cutting it into reusable pieces won't be difficult.

Wow!! Did you do the knobs in DR too?

The entire thing is done in Lightwave.

Wow those Module models really make the cut! Is it possible to save the textures outside of the model so the mapper can adjust them as needed and you wouldn't have to do so many skins?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Is it possible to save the textures outside of the model so the mapper can adjust them as needed and you wouldn't have to do so many skins?

No, that's the one downside of using models--you can't adjust them without modelling software. Mappers can make whatever skins they want, but they can't adjust the orientation or spacing of the textures.

Extremely impressive, these assets easily match those in T4!

Yeah, I really wish I had a time-machine and could show a few of these screens to the TTLG crew back in the days

when the TDM development threads were filled with naysayers. Anyone who claims that TDM can't look like gritty enough

after seeing these is just being hard-headed.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm working on some external modules, and just discovered something pretty neat.

One problem I've always had in maps is simulating light coming through windows. Putting a light in front of the window illuminates the front of the windowframe, which never looks quite right, since the light should be coming from behind the window--it winds up lighting up the faces of the window frame that shouldn't be lit.

Well, with a model window, when you don't put polys on the other side of the glass, and then put a light behind the model, presto, the light shines through it just like a real window. Below is a single light in behind the facade. The edges of the stone are lit properly and light is cast into the street just like it would be in real life.

To be honest, that begs for some sort of light texture. That illumination seems to be very unnatural, I'm afraid.

You usually get somewhat better looking solution by putting a projected light on top of the window, that casts a light texture on the floor. The light texture I made from the original window texture:

nmSoshR.jpg

This has been made like this:

lpBndfY.png

Quite simple setup, once you have the light texture. Projected light casts the light texture on the floor. The point light illuminates the window so it looks like light shines on it from the outside PLUS it gives the gameplay effect of illuminating players right in front of the window. The light shaft is just the final touch and not absolutely necessary.

• Like 2

Clipper