The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

You don't need to illuminate the with with a point light, though. You can create a custom shader and use blend add for the illumination. Adding parms allow to manipulate the brightness of the window if the shader is used on fs.

Regarding the texture manipulation on model. You can indeed not manipulate the texture on the model in DR, but you can create a custom shader and manipulate the look there. Shaders allow for rotation and translation. Not optimal but better then nothing I guess.

Regarding stairs. Beneath teh fact that the steps need to be monsterclipped, fs steps also need nodrawsolid textures so the correct sound gets played when ai or the player walk upon them. In this sense it may be the best approach to only create models for the railings etc., and for the rest you can use worldspawn prefabs. Or you create a prefab containing the monsterclip and nodrawsolid surfaces to be used with the model.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

ou usually get somewhat better looking solution by putting a projected light on top of the window,

Well, the pointlight your example creates precisely the problem I'm trying to avoid--the window bars are clearly being illuminated from in front of the window, not behind. But if you don't use the pointlight, the edges of the window frame are not illuminated properly.

A different light texture would probably look better in the example, as it could simulate bars and other details, but that was just a proof of concept shot.

Steve, yes projected will illuminate player, but the point light will give a more accurate lighting in front of the window.

Mircea, this is more suitable for decorative windows. Interactive ones could use simple real lighting. I.e. when window shutters are closed no light passes through. When the shutters are opened light seeps out normally from the inside.

Spring, could be a matter of taste, but I do not find the front lighting problematic at all.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

lpBndfY.png

Quite simple setup, once you have the light texture. Projected light casts the light texture on the floor. The point light illuminates the window so it looks like light shines on it from the outside PLUS it gives the gameplay effect of illuminating players right in front of the window. The light shaft is just the final touch and not absolutely necessary.

I have been using this arrangement for ages now, I think I was the first o use it (I think there is a tut post somewhere)

@Sotha, you can use a normal point source for the projection as well, just more the origin to where you want it.

Spring, could be a matter of taste, but I do not find the front lighting problematic at all.

I'm sure taste enters into it. :) The projected lights look great, and in examples like yours where it's very soft moonlight coming through, that approach is fine. But in dark environments where you're looking at a brightly lit window, it bugs me when the light is in front instead of behind it.

Even if it is unrealistic, it is useful to light up your architecture and bring out those interesting shadows. Besides, light does get scattered IRL as well. Depends on what kind of effect you are looking for.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yes, moving the light_center will affect both the falloff and the shadow behavior without changing the size or orientation of the light volume.

I had a few rants around here about the need for a better way to control this for compound light entities.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Same in DR, you just place the volume where you want it and then move the origin.

I'll have to test this but I don't believe the light_center moves with the origin or it does but moving the origin moves the whole light volume

with it. At least I recall struggling with it before. I guess the workaround is to set the light DR to vert mode and grab the light_center vert from

my recollection.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Another place they can be used in regular brush-based architecture is to hide sharp-edged corners:

post-9-0-31813300-1420852859_thumb.jpg

Looks great!

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

I love minor, subtle details like that.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm starting to appreciate that the more of these we have, the more we're on par with any commercial game. I think they'll be empowering and motivating for mappers too. That's exactly what I was thinking playing Dishonored. I wish I had those funcstats.

I hope you, and hopefully others joining the cause, keep this up for different categories of buildings, church, castle, shops, sewer, different economic strata houses, etc.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Is there a wiki article on how you created this standard yet? Would be really cool to see others get into making pieces that can be used in combination with yours.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

Is there a wiki article on how you created this standard yet? Would be really cool to see others get into making pieces that can be used in combination with yours.

Just a post in Sotha's modular building thread. If there's enough demand I could write up something.

I'm starting to appreciate that the more of these we have, the more we're on par with any commercial game. I think they'll be empowering and motivating for mappers too.

That's my hope...the easier we can make it for maps to look good, the better for TDM. I'm a bit relieved that these modules can still be useful even for mappers that don't want to build with them exclusively...you could build entirely off-grid with brushes like normal, but just use the module pieces as accents and corner pieces as demonstrated above. For example, the wall segment in the pic below took ten seconds--I just drew out a random-sized brush, and added two corner piece modules to each end. Ten seconds, and it already looks great. I imagine it would take only ten minutes or so to map out an entire castle wall with this technique.

post-9-0-80828500-1420907860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1