The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Actually Blackthief's holiday pic is a good example of that, he's doing his diffuse textures with a palette that'd fit easily in T2. It'd look great in T2, but in D3 it almost has a cel shaded quality to it. You have to tone down colors because of the way D3's renderer works.

I tend to agree with you in that case - the colors of the mansion theme I used for those rooms were oversaturated and that's actually not what I wanted to go for. The reason for this is my crappy LCD monitor - I bought it because I haven't enough space on my new desk for a 19"" CRT and for a long time (actually until some weeks ago) I haven't noticed that the colourtemperature was off - that made everything look washed out and so I raised saturation without actually knowing it. Some weeks ago, when the discussion in the Off-Topic started I checked my textures on the old CRT and was totally shocked :rolleyes: everything looked like illuminated with a red light - after some tests I figured out that the "red lighting" was caused partly because something's wrong with the red color on my CRT, but also because my textures were too saturated.

I "fixed" the colors of my LCD now so that they look more like on a CRT, but I'm planing to put a new CRT somewhere beside my LCD, just to check if everything's right.

BTW I'm going to post some screens of the entrance hall soon - I created a new set of mansion textures for it, that fits to the otherone, but isn't that "redish".

Personally, I'd rather we lean our palette more towards dirty and washed out than vivid and oversaturated. It fits the theme far better, and helps combat D3's innate stark metallic sheen.

Generally undersaturating yields better results in D3 if you're wanting to go for more earthy tone. Like throwing a somewhat muted red texture into D3 will give you a more "RAHH RED" look, but if you wash it out a bit it usually looks like something far more fitting for a Thief like game.

Thanks Columbo, I'd never have realised that.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I agree with Sparhawk. I actually find BT's mansion very nicely coloured. The red tones gave it that warmth that was missing from TDS. We just have to make sure we're using colours realistically. Poor objects would certainly be undersaturated and washed out, but there's no reason why rich, mansion wallpaper or decorations can't have bright colours as we've been doing thus far.

Phew! I'm gald you agree, because I always thought they look awesome, but when I read his comment about the red being off, I thought, maybe it just looks awesome for me and like shit for everybody else, as I'm colour blind in that area. :)

I already had such encounters where I designed a user interface with colour markers. And when I presented it to a client, he asked why I was using such an ugly colour scheme. :) Well, since I anticipated something like that, I wrote it such that the user could assign his own colourscheme and I explained it to him, but what looks good for me, doesn't need to look good for others.

Gerhard

• 3 weeks later...

Btw, can anyone think of a reason NOT to do the following?

Rather than go with 30 separate painting models, I thought we should just keep one of each size, and make ALL the other images available as skins. That gives more variety, since an FM author who wants a small painting but the picture from one of the large models could do it. It also gives me the ability to give a slightly descriptive name to each painting, since you can't see the image in the editor preview window (just the edge of the frame). It also means that if we add more skins in the future, FM authors won't have to guess which of the 10 small painting models have extra skins and which don't.

Can anyone see any reason why this would be a bad idea?

It doesn't really matter. Editing a skin file and editing a materail file is the same difference.

Nice books BTW, I knew you'd be good at texturing you lazy bastard.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ok, I've replaced the separate models with skins for the paintings. So now we can use all 30 images with each of the three sizes. It will also be much easier to add more whenever we like.

I'm working on a bunch of readables at the moment. Here's a magical scroll, an Inventor's Guild scroll and a Mage's spellbook.

Readables1

Glad you like them. :) Here's a few individual pages, along with an illuminated book (perhaps a builder bible).

Readables2

Those look awesome Springheel!

Btw, I have a nice collection of sigils, signs and symbols from "genuine" occult books*. Pretty low-res, but they could still do for inspiration if you want. :)

Oh, and I especially love the DaVincian look of the schematics.

*Along with the occult books in e-form, if anybody is intrested. Most are very, very boring though.

Actually, those symbols and designs *were* from a genuine occult book. I have a library of them myself. ;)

And the Inventor scroll was definitely Davinci. He's the poster boy for our Inventor's Guild. I'll post a couple more readables tonight...I'm having trouble getting the normal-maps for the nails working on the posted notices.