The Dark Mod Forums

Springheel's Stuff

Springheel

Sweet! I thought it looked genuine, just asked if you needed more.

May I ask where you got it from? I find this interesting, because I don't recognize the large sigil, dunno what that would invoke. I'm sure I've seen the key somewhere else before, but damn me if I can place it. The alphabet used *squint* ... looks like enochian.

Yeah, that batch was from the 18th C. magician Michael Scott. I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got if you wanted to send it my way...I'm always looking to add to my collection of reference pics. :)

Well, those with pretty pictures are:

Agrippa's Occult Philosophy I-IV, Abratel of Magic, and Of Geomancy

The Liber Juratus

The Heptameron

Solomon's Veritable Clavicles and of course the Lemegeton Clavicula

Abramelin's Sacred Magic (although that only contains those funky letter squares)

Dee's Hieroglyphic Monard and Misteriorum Liber Primus

Frater Achad's incredibly boring Anatomy of God and his Chrystal Gazing (sic!)

A few of them are PDFs though, so I would need to get the pics out first. Agrippa is along with Solomon's Keys the most useful resource.

Trivia: Id used a few sigils of Agrippa's Occult Philosophy Book II for their teleporters in Doom I

Edit: This site has a nice overview of the most common magic fonts.

Here are some more readables--a handwritten journal and some posted notices. I think I'm done with readables for now.

readables3.jpg

Posted Notices

Personally, I'd rather we lean our palette more towards dirty and washed out than vivid and oversaturated. It fits the theme far better, and helps combat D3's innate stark metallic sheen.

...this is what we should be aiming for as far as the general look of the mod is concerned.

I had a look at Spring's and Renz's mockup side by side, and I have to say I MUCH prefer Renz's colours. It's toned down to a nice medium between "fantastically bright" and "realistic".

Compared to Renz's style, I think some of the other stuff I've seen is looking a bit cartoony.

When we actually do encounter a room lit by a fireplace with warm colours, it will have more impact in a colour scheme more like Renz's. I worry that everything is already too vivid looking, so a nice fireplace room will just look like every other room.

I tend to agree with you in that case - the colors of the mansion theme I used for those rooms were oversaturated and that's actually not what I wanted to go for. The reason for this is my crappy LCD monitor

I "fixed" the colors of my LCD now so that they look more like on a CRT, but I'm planing to put a new CRT somewhere beside my LCD, just to check if everything's right.

That's what I said in the CRT vs LCD thread - all the graphic designers I know have both - the LCD for general use and the CRT for checking colours.

I had a look at Spring's and Renz's mockup side by side, and I have to say I MUCH prefer Renz's colours.

The colours are exactly the same. It's just darkened with the contrast bumped up a bit. That's a lighting issue, not a colour issue.

As far as I'm concerned, all the maps thus far are looking great.

I like them both, as they could be used for different applications. I feel Renz's look richer and higher quality (in a name brand vs. generic brand) way. But that doesn't mean there's no room for the more vibrant ones Springheel has for certain areas or maps. For example, Spring's could hange outside of castle-like structure over a street. I guess in terms of 'where to use,' I feel Spring's seem more 'outdoorsy' to me, while Renz's seem more for interiors. But this could just be personal opinion or tastes.

The richness of colors just seem of higher quality in Renz's, whether it be through lighting or whatever. Tomato red versus royal burgundy (I just made that color up). Grass green versus dark forest green. That's the only way I can describe what I'm seeing/feeling as I view them on my CRT...

Here are a few new non-loot plate skins (BT's original on the right).

plates1.jpg

This brings us to over 50 skins, making our prop total for unique items over 100.

Too much like loot, you mean? Hmm, it's possible. It would be quite easy to move this skin to the loot model. It's one of those grey areas...I wouldn't immediately assume it was loot, myself.

What do others think?

What would a NON-loot plate look like then? Currently, our loot plate is gold and encrusted with gems.

http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/models/d...loot/plate1.jpg

Compared to that one, these look pretty drab to me.

I've been working on the seating now, coming up with different colour combinations...here's a green set.

Green Seating Set

Oh, I noticed when putting this together that our wine bottle models seem awfully small.

Here's a cream dining chair and sofa to match the armchair, and a red armchair to go with the original red set.

Cream Set

seating_red.jpg

While I was at it, I did up some silver coins to go with the gold.

silvercoins.jpg

• 4 months later...

Here's a loot version of the wine bottle. That puts us up to 14 different loot models, not counting skins.

wineloot.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here's a city watch banner. Thanks to SD for the mesh. It actually comes in two sizes, one small (below) and one about twenty feet high for outdoor towers or gatehouses.

post-9-1158107284_thumb.jpg