The Dark Mod Forums

Happy New Years!

New Horizon

Aparently your computer works, otherwise how would you post that message? I suppose it's not your first day with a computer, so it repeatedly and demonstratebly works. Now go ahead and do the same with god.

Which ones exactly contradict each other? Also, I guess oyou are aware, that we don't kneo everything at the moment, so science is an on-going process.

Well, if believers wouldn't claim that it is to be interpreted litaerally then it would probably easier.

Preciesly. (hello!) Science isn't about saying "This is the truth, its about saying this is the best explanation we can come up with given the current data, and it's liable to change as we learn more.

Religion is about saying This is the truth. If you don't like it, we'll kill you. Amen. Unfortunately, people tend to like the latter as it gives them some sense of certainty - a sense of continuity, regardless of the fact that its senseless and brutal. People like to be led, they don't like to think...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, you people are all fiery and excited to get down on people of faith, and it is quite humorous. Why do you care? Did your parents force you to go to church when you were little or something? Do crusaders come to kill your family? Why are you so uptight?

Thousands of people have been tortured and murdered in the name of religion, especially those who dare to contradict it (like scientists). When was the last time a war was started in the name of science?

The bible is full of contradictions that is true, but I don't understand why anyone would think it was a literal work anyway

Neither do I, but apparently many people do - including the current president of the United States apparently. People are right to question whether people with such poor reasoning ability should be in positions of power.

Science is a tool that can be used for good or evil, but is not inherently either. Science has been used in war for evil, and even though no war has started over science, the chance is there, perhaps over something like stem-cell research and cloning.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Medicine is also a branch of science of course.

It would be fair to say science has helped more people by a long way than it has harmed.

And of course, you can easily kill someone without using any science, but you can't heal anything serious without it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Thousands of people have been tortured and murdered in the name of religion, especially those who dare to contradict it (like scientists). When was the last time a war was started in the name of science?

So we are upset about the spanish inquisition stilll? Or is it the crusades?

Many people do good things in the name of religion as well, though idiots such as some tsunami aid workers give them a bad name (they made the kids join their church supposedly or some such crap I don't know the details.

Sparhawk the laws governing quantam mechanics and the laws governing larger systems often don't jive. That is why people keep wanting to find GUTs (grand unified theories).

And btw if you dislike Bush that is fine, but I don't see how berating people on the board will do much. (Although as a funny side note, I think that it may be illegal now due to stupid legislation here)

I did not vote for Bush, I think he is a first class moron, and that he is also an evil person interested in brining wealth to his cronies, he used religion as a way to win people to his side. Kerry is religious, he goes to mass etc but he did not wave it around and prance about saying "I am religious vote for me" Perhaps he should have, though it seems catholics don't fare well in the white house.

Out of curiosity, have you read the Bible?

I have, in fact! I read it cover to cover when I was 17!

It's one of those books you have to read at some point to 'get' references in other literature. Many books are so like: The Odyssey, Heart of Darkness, The Mabinogion, Lord of the Flies, the Koran, War and Peace... and so on.

Anyway, you people are all fiery and excited to get down on people of faith, and it is quite humorous. Why do you care? Did your parents force you to go to church when you were little or something? Do crusaders come to kill your family? Why are you so uptight?

You're new to the concept of having fun with a debate, aren't you?

BTW WTH does this have to do with new years?

Absolutely nothing, this is the off-topic thread.

god-jesus.jpg

"~Please be warned!!~ ~A misguided soul...~ ~All shall hear the word of Jehovah~~~ ...the word of Jehovah...~"

...Only someone who has not been to lots of science classes would say it requires no faith. After receiving a university degree in a science you would likely change your mind. ...

Sorry, I have degrees in Biology and Anthropology, and I am a professional scientist. No faith required.

I have also read the Bible (numerous versions) cover to cover, as well as the Apocrypha, the Koran and the Talmund, and various other texts. I get pissed of by Fundamentalists and zealots who try to infect innocent young minds with their filthy rubbish, so I feel it is important to know my enemy well.