The Dark Mod Forums

T3enhanced - Enhanced T3 Editor, Now Available.

New Horizon

Have your download nitro ready, it's a big one.

installer.jpg

Right click and save the tutorial PDF. It's essentially the same as Komag's current version, but has T3EnhancED specific details.

KomagTutT3EnhancED

The self installing editor package. Make sure you are using a resume capable download application.

T3EnhancED

The changes likely won't be too staggering at this point, but I hope they are enjoyable.

Changes: At least what I can remember. :) Sometimes I forgot to log things over the last year.

Buttons removed from books/ pages - simple expansion of the active button area on either side of the book. Just click on either side of the page/book to turn forward or back.

Classic Hud - love it or hate it, I brought it back because I believe it belongs here. It's as much a part of Thief as stealing.

Loot Shimmer - Replaces Loot Glimmer. Not as noticable from longer distances.

Wall Hug Bug - Fix included of course

Fatigue limited to overweight and drunk - For Gameplay balance.

Holy Water Arrows - A mix of classic and new. You can carry them in inventory now. They no longer time out.

Inventory Keys - No more automatic opening of doors

Inventory Lock Picks - Doors can be pickable or unpickable. You as the FM author decide.

Inventory Books - another nice community fix

Classic Sounds - Like sitting in front of the fireplace at home, some of the original sounds just feel good.

Edible food - A bit more world interactivity

Auto Blackjack - Disabled

Xbox/ PC texture folders merged to save space - separate folders contained some overlap. All file paths now point to the pctextures folder.

Minor reorganization of Trigger Scripts - mainly addition of T3EnhancED scripts.

T3EnhancEd scripts.

Sounds have been extracted and put into folders. Dummy .wav files created to allow proper rebuilding of schema meta files.

Player movement tweaks Modified Static Mesh Browser

By Default T3EnhancED will run the game in windowed mode with sound when you press the 'joystick' key. To play fullscreen with the xbreboot option (included) You will need to alter the user.ini

There are likely some minor adjustments here and there that I have forgotten, but they wouldn't be noticable as they were just tightening things up.

Next up, I'll create a patch to convert the T3 'game' installation into a T3EnhancEd ready installation.

Oh, and for those of you who are thinking it...NO, I'm NOT a TRAITOR. :) Dark Mod is still my primary focus.

I don't think you are a traitor. :P

In truth I believe that once TDM comes out all the people who have been working with T3Ed with all its limitations will be all "Wow, THIS is the thing I've been waiting for." It's an excellent stop-gap for them (and me :) ), and will keep interest in Thief mapping going.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Have you completed your TDS odyssey now are do you have anything else planned?

Yes, that's it...and that's all. I will consider compiling further enhancements into the installer if people submit them to me, but as for my own personald TDS development. I'm finished. I've been picking at this on and off for an eternity. :)

The last thing I need to do is whip up a little self extracting patch to bring the TDS game install up to date with T3EnhancED. That way FM authors won't have to worry about packaging all the custom materials in their FM's.

I've now written my question, erased it, thinking it was answered, and now I'm rewording it. :)

So, for those who want to play enhanced-built missions, but don't have the enhanced install, they'll need a patch? But in truth, authors could just distribute their assets as normal, right? I know you can't answer for everyone, but it could cause a split if people can't use the missions without a big download or a patch which some have and will resist. Especially if it changes the game, which some people want left alone.

Idea: If a patch is to be the way to go, make it a simple zip? Gives the user much more control over what they do with it.

Edit: Assuming that's possible... hrm. Okay, well, I'll work something out either way I guess. Just want to be able to get enhanced versions going for missions, and then get back my versions when playing normal. I'm sure many people will want that.

I've now written my question, erased it, thinking it was answered, and now I'm rewording it. :)

So, for those who want to play enhanced-built missions, but don't have the enhanced install, they'll need a patch? But in truth, authors could just distribute their assets as normal, right? I know you can't answer for everyone, but it could cause a split if people can't use the missions without a big download or a patch which some have and will resist. Especially if it changes the game, which some people want left alone.

Idea: If a patch is to be the way to go, make it a simple zip? Gives the user much more control over what they do with it.

Edit: Assuming that's possible... hrm. Okay, well, I'll work something out either way I guess. Just want to be able to get enhanced versions going for missions, and then get back my versions when playing normal. I'm sure many people will want that.

The patch is a binary patcher, so I'm hoping it won't be too large. I let the program compare a vanilla, unaltered install of T3 with my enhanced versions of the files. Based on the differences, it only builds the changes I have made into the patch file. People wishing to play Enhanced FM's will need a fresh install of T3, with no changes. The patcher will back up their installation files so they can revert to Vanilla any time they wish. Unfortunately, that's as simple as I can make it. I can't give direct control over what does or doesn't go into a T3EnhancED install, otherwise the levels won't work properly.

Okay, then if I understand, could separate packages be made available?:

-a binary which makes changes to files like the gamesys or schema files, or whatever

-a zip package which contains the custom textures, sounds, scripts, or whatever

That way, we can use the assets for whatever missions we need them for, and this saves the major bulk of size in download and distribution, and the patching is isolated off to the side, so that people can just back their files up if they need (because they have neither vanilla nor enhanced). My problem is, I couldn't run Minimalist for long before I wasn't able to run the editor at all anymore. I was doing nothing more than starting to rebuild my lost map, no scripting or anything, and suddenly it all went bad. Any map I would load would crash as soon as I moved the mouse. So I had to go back to vanilla + my few mods. And as you know by now better than anyone, T3 and the editor are a *bitch* to get set up. Would hate to have to go through all that all over again. Plus, I'm a single folder player/editor. What then?

Okay... this is getting really complex. :(

Okay, then if I understand, could separate packages be made available?:

-a binary which makes changes to files like the gamesys or schema files, or whatever

-a zip package which contains the custom textures, sounds, scripts, or whatever

That way, we can use the assets for whatever missions we need them for, and this saves the major bulk of size in download and distribution, and the patching is isolated off to the side, so that people can just back their files up if they need (because they have neither vanilla nor enhanced). My problem is, I couldn't run Minimalist for long before I wasn't able to run the editor at all anymore. I was doing nothing more than starting to rebuild my lost map, no scripting or anything, and suddenly it all went bad. Any map I would load would crash as soon as I moved the mouse. So I had to go back to vanilla + my few mods. And as you know by now better than anyone, T3 and the editor are a *bitch* to get set up. Would hate to have to go through all that all over again. Plus, I'm a single folder player/editor. What then?

Okay... this is getting really complex. :(

Ahh, I see where you're coming from. While the editor 'can' be run in a single folder, it was never meant to function in that environment and as I've been told by several developers, the editing tools were never intended for release outside the studio at all. What we got was a quickly cleaned up version of the inhouse tools. I guess we're lucky it even works. Minimalist was never tested within the editor, which is no doubt why it busted everything up. Unless you're really running short on space, I suggest the separate install method. The installer doesn't support single folder installations.

As for multiple install options, not likely. I really wouldn't know where to begin separating things because some assets depend on each other to work correctly. The primary focus is to keep everything self contained within the two packages...editor for FM authors, patch for players. I'm hoping that the patch will be less than 100 megs, but I haven't finished putting it together yet..so I can't say.

Something like that could indeed come to ones mind, every now and then. ;) Not that *I* would think something like that :rolleyes: Never!

I would, and then I'd add 'hang the bastard'.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Understood, and that's great. When I did run Minimalist I remember thinking, "wow" and then I saw the better frob and the keys and the hud and I was quite amazed. What I mean above specifically, is applying all of my "personal" tweaks. That part is a nightmare - that's the part I'm hoping I don't have to undo.

I'll probably just end up keeping my custom T3/editor folder, and then having a vanilla T3 install for enhanced FMs. Or something. :mellow:

I'll probably just end up keeping my custom T3/editor folder, and then having a vanilla T3 install for enhanced FMs. Or something. :mellow:

Yeah, you're no doubt going to have to do that. Sorry. T3Ed just doesn't lend itself well to being mod friendly. Another thing I should add, is that the enhanced editor doesn't require the user to make a copy of his T3 install. All the files needed to run the editor as a stand alone application are included. The only exception is that the original mission files have been removed. If I had included them, people would essentially have gotten the retail game for free...and that would be bad. :laugh: Ion storm included the actual retail executable in the package anyway, the largest addition to this package would be the full collection of extracted sounds.

Once the schema metafiles are compiled in T3EnhancEd, I think the folder will weigh in at around 200 megs smaller than the Vanilla T3 installation. I think when I first started, the editor installation was 3 gigs vs. the 2 gigs it is now.

*from my post at TTLG* WELL SOD IT ALL! There were a few very minor things I missed before compiling the installer. Nothing horrible...just some font sizings that I forgot to tweak. If you have already downloaded the installer, don't worry...I'll post the tweaks or perhaps a patch later. I would suggest people hold off on downloading for another day or two. Sorry, I thought I covered all the bases.