The Dark Mod Forums

The Builder Theme

Schatten

It's nice, it's very Ennio Morricone, but I don't hear any connection with the Builders.

If you hadn't said it was the Builder's theme, I certianly wouldn't have thought of the connection while listening to the tune.

For the Builders I'd image something more industiral sounding, with a beat created by hammers striking anvils, and some organ music.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Aha, but some searching reveals that the piece used in Tetris is "The Korobeiniki" or the Peddlers, which is a Russian folk tune over 150 years old. It's probably public domain (unless Michael Jackson bought the rights to it or something ridiculous like that?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korobeiniki

As for Schatten's piece, I like it. My only critique would be that repeating the Korobeiniki melody gets a tad repetitive. Maybe if it could be played with a different instrument the later times, or a variation on it, or something. Or it could speed up like in the folk dance and Tetris version, but that would probably screw up the tempo of your piece. :)

I don't know, since Tetris on the original Gameboy is one of the best selling video games of all time, isn't everyone just going to think "Isn't this the Tetris theme music!?" Only Russians are likely to think, "Ah, the old Korobeiniki! It's been a while since I Khorovoded to that..."

The music also features in The Deer Hunter and on the Ali G Show. It's a fantastic tune, but maybe the intertextual pop culture reference mean we shouldn't use it as the Builder Theme? I'm all for giving the Builder culture some east european influences though, they do seem very Soviet. :)

WinAMP will play .OGG files with the right plug-ins. So, will Windows Media Player (again, with the right codecs). It just won't allow you to use tags under WMP, but it still plays them.

http://tobias.everwicked.com/oggds.htm

That link will get you basic OggVorbis support under Windows Media Player.

You are right! That is Tetris music. The tune is instantly recognizable as the old Russian composition. I like the "goth" twist to the music, but it's still too busy for Builder's music. Again, try something original as that is what we are trying to do with everything possible (even if we are sort of "remixing" the whole game itself).

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Oh people, this was meant as a joke, which just died a most hideous death.

Yeah, it's the Tetris theme. I thought it was funny because of the Tetris<-->Building thing. I never seriously meant this for use as the Builder theme or anything other in the game in first place, that's why I posted it seperately and not in my ambient thread. Plus the :wink: smiley.

Gah I'm such a sad nerd... :(

Oh people, this was meant as a joke, which just died a most hideous death.

Sorry for spoiling your joke! That should teach you not to crack jokes with such a humorless bunch. ;)

I like the music a lot though!

I still think we should mix in some Russian culture with our Builders, along with the more Catholic culture we see in Thief. The Builders remind me of communist russia, with the hammer on the flag, the red clothes, and the work ethic. I can't believe it's taken me so long to make that connection! :)

I think it's worth trying to find cultural roots in the real world for all our factions to make them more convincing. The Mage culture could be more Arabic, the Pagans rather Pictish, the Necromancers Romanian, and the Inventor's Guild could be Victorian Britain and/or new world American (think an entire factions of Benjamin Franklins, all armed with kites).

What do I need to download to listen to .ogg files?

WHAT? You've never even listened to our stuff!? :D

Anyway, winamp will play ogg files, no need for a plugin. (If you're not running winamp 2 that is)

And for the record, I thought it was pretty funny, heh :) We should put it on the next soundtrack, as a "bonus" track.

Shit. I looped Tetris music for an hour while mapping last night??

:D Thank you, that just made my day. And for the record, I was listening to Tetris music for two hours before I made that. While... playing it. The gameboy version.

I did mention I have a thing for retro-gaming, aye?

Macsen:

In terms of organisation/structure I'd place the Builders more in the fascist corner. But you're right, a little russian flavour would become them - we just mustn't overdo it. Maybe I can try and carry a bit of the feeling into a serious ambient.

In terms of design, there's already much there - industrialisation, work as a political dogma, the big statues, the symbols... and if we go with stereotypes, the stern, melancholic character would suit them, too.

Goldfish:

It's a bit short for OCR, isn't it? (And it also lacks the obligatory UNZ UNZ beat j/k)

Darkness_Falls:

Actually, I pictured the WRATH OF THE MAN-SMITH, flinging giant geometric stones with increasing speed from the heavens to smite the heathen!

Anyway, winamp will play ogg files, no need for a plugin. (If you're not running winamp 2 that is)

I thought I had listened to .ogg stuff previously, but the last two things posted I couldn't open with winamp.

I think it's worth trying to find cultural roots in the real world for all our factions to make them more convincing. The Mage culture could be more Arabic

Scrap that, I just spent an hour trying to find any good Arabic music. Maybe they're hiding it from Western eyes, all I could find was cheesy pop. :ph34r:

Romanian music is fantastic however. Anything played on the fiddle would be great for the Necromancers. Some kind of Danse Macabre.

I hope that's a joke too...that fiddle bit sounded like a Looney Tunes chase sequence.

Actually, I pictured the WRATH OF THE MAN-SMITH, flinging giant geometric stones with increasing speed from the heavens to smite the heathen!

You know, someone could make an FM with this music playing, and have a 3d-tetris puzzle where 3d tetris pieces keep coming down a chute, and you have to pick up, rotate and arrange them, and if you don't place them fast enough they explode in your face! Best FM ever.