The Dark Mod Forums

C777 Application

New Horizon

I bumped into C777 on the unforseen consequences forum. He needs some help and is looking to exchange services with us. He will skin our back logged models and in exchange he needs some coding for his mod. I'll let C777 post his work for you.

im making a silent hill mod, i need someone to code the camera, if you guys can make an entity or something so i can fix the camera like resident evil, the camera follows the player, but u can also switch to 1st person to aim, but u cant move when you aim, thats the 1st thing :) if u guys can do that it would be great

I don't know how difficult the above request would be, but if any of you coders would like to interject that would be fine.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sooo..... any coders out there :D ??

so what should i do for you guys?

Well, we can't guarantee that we'll be able to do the coding work for you unfortunately. It might be too much work for us to pass off to someone right now. Anyone we have coding at the moment is pretty much up to their eyeballs. :)

We'll see what they have to say though.

I think we likely have around a dozen or so models to skin.

Well, we can't guarantee that we'll be able to do the coding work for you unfortunately. It might be too much work for us to pass off to someone right now. Anyone we have coding at the moment is pretty much up to their eyeballs. :)

We'll see what they have to say though.

I think we likely have around a dozen or so models to skin.

<_< just show me the models

have you played games like resident evil and silent hill before?

the camera is far from the player and it shows you the whole room

and it follows the player around, you know what im talking about? (sorry for my english)

im thinking if u could make an entity that will act like a camera that follow the target entity around

and you can switch to 1st person

have you played games like resident evil and silent hill before?

the camera is far from the player and it shows you the whole room

and it follows the player around, you know what im talking about? (sorry for my english)

im thinking if u could make an entity that will act like a camera that follow the target entity around

and you can switch to 1st person

Doesn't the doom 3 Third Person camera do this already? You can bind a button to let you switch from 3rd to first person on the fly.

Yeah that sounds like the mapper would define a camera location for each room (you could use the location system), and then you'd have the first person fire button switch the camera and immobilize the player's feet. That should be possible. I don't think I have enough free time to do all the coding right now though. Maybe Sparhawk can suggest some options, he knows about switching camera views and stuff from the lightgem.

I think that should be doable. You would simply switch to third person and put the camera and view orientation where the reference entity would be. The biggest problem IMO would be how to define the camera position and angle, but I think it should be doable. However this means that the camera will not be moved. For every room you will have a fixed camera position watching the player moving around.

I just see another problem with this. You can't use a single camera position for it, because you will have positions where the player can't see what he is doing, so you need multiple locations per room. I wonder how you trigger when the camera should be switched to another one. I think this is not exactly trivial to do. And I also don't really know how how to determine when the camera should switch to another room, but maybe this is the same problem as having multiple cameras in one room.

Gerhard