The Dark Mod Forums

C777 Application

New Horizon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You must somehow place the cameras. This you must do anyway. What I don't know is, how you, as the mapper, can know which areanumber a given room will get, as this IMO is decided when the map is compiled. If that is the case, it might even be worse, because it could happen, that if you add some new rooms, the numbers may shift and you would have to reassign everything again.

Gerhard

@Sparhawk: The user doesn't have to know the area number. If they place these "data objects" (actually we could just put the data on the camera) in each area, the objects themselves can look up and record what area they're in when they spawn (after the map is compiled). Then they enter pointers to themselves into an array that's indexed by the area number, for easy retrieval during gameplay.

From the mappers perspective, they place the camera in an area, enter whatever data they need on it, and that's it. (You might possibly need a data object in addition to the camera if the actual camera is not in the room, if it's looking in from another room or something, since the data object has to be in the area for this to work).

Ah! That sounds good then. I think a restriction like this, that your camera must be inside your room, might be acceptable.

There is already a func_cameraview entity, that seems to do basically what you need. It has to be extended though. Isht, do you want to do this? Since you know already a lot about visportals, it might be easy for you.

Gerhard

Yeah sure, I can do that part, it should be very similar to soundprop. I don't know how to actually change the camera view once we know which one to use though (unless it is basic scripting), so I might need help at that point.

I have no idea how the code structure of c777's mod is set up, do they have a global object like us or what? If not, I could put everything in game_local.

@C777: Is that an okay restriction that the camera must be within the actual bounds of the room, i.e., not looking in from outside through a doorway or through a window? (Well, you COULD do these things, but you could not have the place it's looking in from also have another camera view location). I.e., camera looking in from skylight where there is nothing else around the camera and you can't get there, would be okay. But if you had a camera looking in from the next room, and when you enter that next room, you want the camera should switch to another position, that would not work.

We could do some kind of manual override setting on the camera in rare cases like this, you would put the area number on a key/value of the camera and that would override which area it applies to, over which area it's in. The default behavior would be the area it's in though.

No, you could break a room up into two areas with a visportal and have two cameras if you want. All I'm saying is, the data object that associates an area with a camera must be placed within the area. If we make the "data object" the camera itself, that means the camera for a given area can't be placed outside that area look in from another area.

• 3 weeks later...