The Dark Mod Forums

Sniper Elite Anybody?

sparhawk

Anybody playing sniper elite? I read a review in one of the last GameStar (german game mag) and the rating was not so good. The tester said it is boring because you have to run around carefully (Thioef anybody? ;) ) and try to not get seen before you get your kill. Well, what do you expect from a sniper game? Of course you have to move carefully. A sniper is not a tank, and I would be pissed off if I have to run around like in Call Of Duty. So I got the game nevertheless, and I must say I like it. I'm always a bit annoyed that sniper missions are so few in most shooters, so this is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Yeah, I know that snipers are not liked in online games either, because they tend to camp and are annoying to the "action" players. But personally when I snipe in an online game, I try to do it "real". So I don't camp in one place to long and then shoot the unsuspected with the MG. I try to get them down with as few shots as possible, which is what a sniper should do, after all. :)

And of course - as Thief player, the sneaking around is not boring to me. Quite on the contrary! :)

Gerhard

I haven't played that one, but your description is making me remember playing MoHAA and FarCry. I played both of those as a slow, methodical sniper (when possible), and it's a fricking blast. :) And, I think the most memorable moment for me in Hitman (1) appears right in the first mission - rooftop of a neighboring building, assembling my sniper rifle, and lining up that unsteady scope-zoomed view till it's perfect... wait... hold breath... *pop* and the target drops. Then get the hell out of there quick before anyone spots me. Good stuff.

Some people shouldn't be journalists or critics. They're supposed to give an objective, openminded review of something but this is rarely the case.

Snipers aren't liked in FPS death matches because people want to run in guns blazing without being shot from where they're not looking (oh boo hoo).

Sniper Elite is one of the best games I've played last year. I really liked the stealthy aspects and also the graphics were surprisingly nice:)

Also a cool function is the bullet cam, when you will get a one shot kill the camera follows the bullet in slowmotion to the point of impact.

Another good thing is that the AI tries to flank you and sneak up uppon you from behind, and not straight running towards you:)

Only drawback is that there seems to be noo Karabiner 98 in the game, kind of a pitty, like that rifle very much. But starting with a G43 makes up a lot:)

Hidden and Dangerous II is one of the best games I've played ever. It's nice and realistic, and you can snipe as much as you want.

Cobra 6

I heard Hidden & Dangerous 1-2 were good sniper sims as well, although it's probably a bit dated by now.

[EDIT: Nevermind, that wasn't a sniper game, was a squad based strategy game. Whoops.]

HD was pretty cool, but it was bloody hard. I never played HD2 though, I guess I should get a copy. Doesn't matter wether it's old, as long as it is good gameplay. :) I liked that you didn't simply run up to your enemy and tried to blast him with force.

Gerhard

Some people shouldn't be journalists or critics. They're supposed to give an objective, openminded review of something but this is rarely the case.

I intende to write here a letter about this. But from the journalistic point of view I think the articel was ok. The gameplay was described accurately, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it. In Gamestar they have the article and a seperate column where they can write their opinion about it, so it is ok if she says she doesn't like it there. After all, not everybody likes the same. :)

Snipers aren't liked in FPS death matches because people want to run in guns blazing without being shot from where they're not looking (oh boo hoo).

I know. But it's still fun. :) Even though I also like the action. It changes from time to time.

Gerhard

There are people in FPS games, they think that going head to head is kind of how "real man do it" and sniping is for cowards. IMO a pretty funny concept, considering how much "pain" you get from going head to head. Exactly zero, since it is a game and not reality. :)

Gerhard

Yeah that's the mentality behind sniper haters.

I read about a quake mod that was made to make them explode if they didn't move. The description said "After 3 seconds of no movmenet they get a warning. After 10 seconds they get gibbed for being a talentless pig." Which just further shows the mentality - all you'd have to do is keep stepping slightly left to right to avoid the penalty.

I was wondering. There are some things I don't like. Not enough to make it stop playing, but it's still annoying.

1. When you are proning and you switch to the sniper zoom, then the guy always gets to his kneeling position.

2. The right mousebutton always switches to sniper zoom, but I prefer to have it on the middle mousebutton and use the right for backpadeling. It seems that this is hardcoded though, so is there some way to change this?

Gerhard

Oh man, I loved camping--especially in Counter-Strike. It was a really fun "style" of play until admins became more forceful and votekicks were implemented. It was especially fun in as_oilrig :)

It seems that whenever online gameplay became more restrained, and you were forced to play "the right way," there would be another fun aspect of the game that would lose its amusement. Nowadays, players have it hardwired into their brains that anything other than, in Counter-Strike, for example, rushing is sinful. The only reason being is that they're too damn impatient to wait a few minutes. They're all too damn serious and have lost sight of what the essentials of a game are.

Though, I guess a lot of the stuff I liked to do back then was contrary to the likes of many others, but I sincerely know that those times of play were the most fun and hilarious. Team killing is probably my favorite way of playing *gasp* :rolleyes: . The early and good versions of Day of Defeat were perfect for this, and likewise with early versions of Desert Combat. It wasn't so much as the fact that they didn't always enforce team-kill penalties, but just in accordance to how the game mechanics worked.

When I get a chance, today, I take on a more discrete form of team killing, like following a newbie sniper on a 5 minute treck to get to an opportune sniping point, and then stabbing him in the back as soon as he lays down :) . Well, maybe that's not discrete, but you get what I mean; it's a big contrast from taking the Scud Launcher in Desert Combat and launching it on your own base :D . For some reason, I have a big fetish for pissing really serious people off B) .

Edited by woah

I used to play counter strike at my local LAN cafe a while back, but they (everyone else there playing counterstrike) would always play this one map which was little more than a room with a couple of pillars. Gameplay typically lasted a few seconds before you were killed, there was no chance to play strategically, it was literally a case of who was lucky enough to survive long enough to get a health pack and get a few more shots off before dying. Needless to say, I did not find this at all fun, especially when there are plenty of counter strike maps out there that allow for very strategic, cautious, perhaps even realistic gameplay.

I get much more enjoyment out of camping and sniping, or flushing out a camper or sniper, than just blindly running around with guns blazing. I just don't get why such people are so against campers etc - it is a legitimate survival tactic, and one should feel no shame in using it to win a deathmatch game.

Team killing? Woah, sounds like you have latent psychopathic/serial killer tendencies, dude ;)

It's funny when people always camp in the same spot though, and then get really mad when you change positions and counter-snipe them. They're like "how did you know I would be standing at the top of the fort in UT Facing Worlds like I have for the last 5 rounds?? Cheater!!"

I will say that it does kind've suck in a game where you get X number of lives and then are out for the round, and the last two people left alive are both camping and making no urge to engage eachother, then the other 30 players get to sit and watch a timer count down from 5 minutes. Or even more frustrating, 1 person camping, 1 person afk, no dead-to-living messages. The irony is if the camper actually moved from their spot, they would find the last afk person on the other team and win the round.

I used to play counter strike at my local LAN cafe a while back, but they (everyone else there playing counterstrike) would always play this one map which was little more than a room with a couple of pillars. Gameplay typically lasted a few seconds before you were killed, there was no chance to play strategically, it was literally a case of who was lucky enough to survive long enough to get a health pack and get a few more shots off before dying.

These types of maps are surprisingly popular. Seriously, those people who enjoy that fit squarely into that "neanderthal FPS gamer" category that oDDity coined.

These types of maps are surprisingly popular. Seriously, those people who enjoy that fit squarely into that "neanderthal FPS gamer" category that oDDity coined.

My DoD clan server has HUNDREDs of fantastic, fan made maps complete with working artillery, airstrikes, incredible textures and images, realisitic sounds like German radio broadcasts and Elvis tunes on the radio.

What maps do we spend 1/3 of the time playing? Freaking Aztec and Dust, two of the most poorly designed maps around. Both are heavily unbalanced against the terrorists, which means the Axis in Dod. The cops/allies have have two routes to the middle of the map and they almost always end up holding the middle and winning. I scream and bitch about it every time we play, everyone agrees they are unbalanced but everyone still votes for the goddam things.

Woah, nothing personal bro but if you TKed me like that on TFC, I would haunt you like a bad case of herpes. Especially on a map where you are depending on your team to cap flags or hold a particular position, TKing is not cool.

It's funny when people always camp in the same spot though, and then get really mad when you change positions and counter-snipe them. They're like "how did you know I would be standing at the top of the fort in UT Facing Worlds like I have for the last 5 rounds?? Cheater!!"

I will say that it does kind've suck in a game where you get X number of lives and then are out for the round, and the last two people left alive are both camping and making no urge to engage eachother, then the other 30 players get to sit and watch a timer count down from 5 minutes. Or even more frustrating, 1 person camping, 1 person afk, no dead-to-living messages. The irony is if the camper actually moved from their spot, they would find the last afk person on the other team and win the round.

Yeah, when you get two campers with similar play styles as the last two players left, it is pretty much stalemate time. Very frustrating if you are left to just spectate, but that only goes to show how effective the strategy is - campers (& conservative, tactical players in general) are usually the last to be killed off. When I play and I find myself in the situation where it is me and another camper, I usually switch to seek and destroy mode, flushing out camping spots with grenades or whatever I have to get the camper out in the open where the match can be finished off quickly, one way or another.

Me and my 2 brothers and one of their friends, all played Unreal Tournament at our LAN on the weekend.

I love how it has a "fake death" button, where your character lays down and pretends to be a dead body.

I also love how the shadows actually hide you. (I can see why Theivery was based on UT)

When I played "stealthy", this consisted of finding dark spots and either standing there, or laying down if I needed the extra cover because of sillhouetting.

I got the jump on people many many times this way.

This also came in real handy when when it looked like I was going to lose a fire fight. Amongst all the circle strafing I would keep trying to get behind them and duck into a dark corner and lay down. At least 90% of the time this worked, because they assumed I escaped. The other 10% they got a lucky hit in by shooting randomly.

But I still suck at FPS death matches in general. My younger brother Brent always wins, my youngest brother Justin gets about 75% of the kills Brent did, and I always get about 50% of the kills Brent did. (And Justin's friend is in the same league as me).

Those kill ratios maintain pretty much throughout the whole session no matter what, give or take a few.

When I play and I find myself in the situation where it is me and another camper, I usually switch to seek and destroy mode, flushing out camping spots with grenades or whatever I have to get the camper out in the open where the match can be finished off quickly, one way or another.

Yes, this is what any non-sociopathic person with even an ounce of consideration in their body would do. :)

@Domarius: Oh yes, the fake death button has led to some great hilarity in UT. Esp. in mods that are more in the line of one shot kills, although it was generally frowned upon. You could almost imagine the person's expression changing to one of terror as they see your corpse rise up with a weapon while they're sitting there reloading the shells their shotgun one by one. :)

• 12 years later...

Up!

Sniper Elite 4 is AWESOME and I recommend it to every taffer out there (in the shadows :D )!

Of course play SEV2 and 3 too!

Also MAJESTIC necroposting & long-dead-thread summoning skill display :P

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.