The Dark Mod Forums

Footstep Sounds In Darkmod

Darkness_Falls

When I view the CVS'd Darkmod > SFX > Movement folder, there are a bunch of footstep sounds. But in listening to them all, none of them seem to be what gets used in-game in the Darkmod maps. Where are the footstep sounds that are actually being used in-game located? I'm trying to test some footstep sounds I'm working on and need to swap them out. I've tried the Warehouse and aitest3 maps so far, seeing if different maps used different footstep sounds, but I don't think they do; I think all maps use the same footstep sounds so far. I just can't find the actual OGG files.

They get used, but texture artists still have to put the right materials in their floor for the right footstep sound to play. Otherwise the "default" footstep plays, that is the D3 one. If you listen carefully though, the wood floors should be playing the wood footstep in that folder, and stone, and some carpet, but there are still a lot of floor materials that still need to be set up correctly to play the different sounds.

If you want to test some you're swapping out, make sure the floor is stone or wood or something, and then swap those out. To overload the default one you would have to edit player.def, and replace the footstep soundshader reference for "snd_footstep" with a soundshader you write yourself (they're not that hard).

Okay thanks. It'll take me a while to figure this all out (I know, I just tried after your post). But while I try to figure this out, it occurred to me that we should just have a test map created for all the floor textures and have them properly reference the CVS'd sfx > movement files. Would someone be able to whip one out? This would allow me/us to test the sounds more quickly, modify and test them again, etc.

What should the test map look like? Well, IMO, it should be an open, 9-square grid. Each square is maybe 10' x 10' or so. Each square has a different floor texture on it. The player starts in the center square with the wood floor texture on it, and the other 8 squares surround this with the other 8 floor textures, respectively (carpet, grass, gravel, metal, snow, stone, tile, water). Each square would ideally be text-labeled as to what it is, similar to how the distances show up on the ground of the Archery Range test map. And also having a ladder somewhere nearby so we can test the ladder sounds would be great, too.

By having this grid, we're able to test all the 9 or 10 current movement sounds we have. I'm not sure if 10' x 10' will be big enough for the squares, since they should have a bit of room to allow for running, but you get the idea.

Actually it does look like there was a problem with the latest .pk4 on CVS that caused our surface detection system to fail. That's why the default footsteps are playing all the time and arrows aren't sticking in wood right now. We're looking into it right now, so should be fixed soon.