The Dark Mod Forums

Darknessfalls' Sounds/ambients

Darkness_Falls

I'll just use this thread to house all my future audio work. If you'd rather I create new threads with more descriptive titles each time (e.g., "Noisemaker Arrow Sounds"), let me know.

Per Ishtvan's request, here are some noisemaker sounds:

Noisemaker Clicks (OGG)

Noisemaker Flight (OGG)

Let me know if you need anything tweaked or re-done here.

EDIT: Also, I'd need to hear this in-game to know if it sounds okay or not. Can someone slap a noisemaker arrow into a map and tie it to these sounds? Any of this can totally be modified. The Flight sound was created in memory of Thief 2. I never really understood how guards were deaf to the flight sound a noisemaker arrow made, and I doubt we'll have an in-flight sound like this, but it's a start anyways. I just threw it in, in case you were wanting to test the flight sounds, too.

Cool, sounds good. The new D3 soundengine handles reverb itself, so you shouldn't need to put in quite so much reverb IMO, but it will work fine for now. (Like you were saying, when tested ingame I think it would be a bit strange to hear that much reverb if you shoot the arrow 5 ft away from you in a small carpeted hallway).

I would like to create a noisemaker weapon for testing, but I can't until a modeler creates an idMoveable compatible collision model for the broadhead, as described in this thread: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3314

Right now I just get an error about the arrow having no collision model when I try to use it as a moveable in the noisemaker.

Created a new ambient track. I did this with the Oboe sound, as I remember there being an Oboe'ish ambient track in Thief 2. I imagine this track might go well with distant ocean waves crashing in the background.

* Solitary Theme - 100% Volume / No Fading Intro - 2.2MB

* Solitary Theme - Same, but intro starts softly and slowly gets louder - 2.2MB

* Solitary Theme - With a simple test beat layered in, to demonstrate it could be layered w/ some other ambient - 2.3MB

Thanks Ish, I agree about the reverb on the noisemaker. I just remembered that I think Thief 2 has some reverb to it by default, too -- though probably not as much. I kinda liked that it was a ubiquitous sound like that in T2, though. I'll try to create a few different variations of the clicking and flight noises, once we have it in-game to test.

Okay, the noisemaker is ingame, so you can see how it sounds, DF. Thanks a lot for the sound. IMO it is still a bit heavy on the reverb. Right now mappers aren't putting in reverb in their maps, but they should be! So eventually reverb will be handled by the map and shouldn't be needed too much on the sound :)

The volume may need tweaking as well, but that can be done easily within the soundshader file. (sounds/tool_fx.sndshd). Just be careful you don't set it too loud and blow out your speakers, 'cause there seems to be no internal safeguard for that. A good rule of thumb is +8-10 dB makes it sound twice as loud.

I didn't put in the flight sound 'cause I wasn't sure if we wanted it to have a flight sound.

Just wanna say I'm still around. Gonna check your stuff now DF, process the other things I have from Sax and Schatten and upload to CVS.

Ish: if you wonder what i did with the tools shader, well, I was going to change the name of a file you uploaded, then realized there was no point, then proceeded to rearrange all the entries in alphabetical order :P

Noisemakers usually play some wonky little sound when they're fired. We should probably include it.

I think it might be better to leave it out, personally. If you fire it while near a guard, he might hear the sound of the arrow launching but be too far away to hear it where it lands, sending him searching in your direction.

I think it might be better to leave it out, personally. If you fire it while near a guard, he might hear the sound of the arrow launching but be too far away to hear it where it lands, sending him searching in your direction.

It's not meant to be a "launch" sound, but an "arrow swooshing by" sound. A different one than the standard arrow_swoosh. (Hence the name nosearrow_flight)

Edit: heh, nosearrow.. :)

The noisemaker flight sound in T2 doesn't seem to at all be heard/recognized by guards. I think it's generally assumed that its a sound for the player to hear to differentiate it from other arrows, but that it's not something that is noticed by AI. If we're to utilize a noisemaker flight sound, I would hope we'd do it the same way as T2 so that guards won't be alerted by it.

I think I would kinda like a flight sound, just because. But right now, I'm not heavily leaning either way. Thanks, Ishtvan, for getting it in-game; I'll try it out tonight. I also figure the reverb on the clicks will need to be eliminated or greatly reduced.

Ish: if you wonder what i did with the tools shader, well, I was going to change the name of a file you uploaded, then realized there was no point, then proceeded to rearrange all the entries in alphabetical order :P

Do whatever you want, the sound files are yours, I'm just adding some placeholders. :)

Re: Flight sound

Currently it does play a sound in flight, but it's the same sound as a regular broadhead.

[EDIT]

If it doesn't activate until it fires, I don't get why it should have a different flight sound than a regular arrow. You would want it to be quiet until it hit if it were to be useful. I know it was in T2, but it never really made sense to me there.

Yep, it never made sense to me in T2 either. Come to think of it, guards not noticing that sound is like guards not seeing the blue light trails behind arrows in T3 :) hehe. I still think we should build the functionality of a different flight sound for noisemakers, just in case we need it or FM'ers need it. I can see how it shoud maybe get a slightly different *whoosh* -- one that's maybe quiter, coolor, or somehow more streamlined than a regular arrow whoosh. Or if the shape of the arrow is drastically changed to match concept art or something, we might want to tweak the sound a bit. The T2-style flight sound as it exists, though, doesn't make much sense to me; never has. But I must admit, I have grown to kinda like it in T2 ;) I could do without it though.

The noise arrow flight should be set to be unheard by guards, just like the other swooshing noises.

If it doesn't activate until it fires, I don't get why it should have a different flight sound than a regular arrow.

Depending on the design, it would probably sound a bit wonky compared to other arrows, but the flight sound is just there as a nice effect I think.

I still think we should build the functionality of a different flight sound for noisemakers, just in case we need it or FM'ers need it.

Don't worry, vanilla D3 has that covered already, all it takes is changing a value in a def file. @NH: Yeah I could see maybe a slightly deeper "whoosh" or something, but I wouldn't think it would be radically different or whistling or anything.

I guess we decided that the special arrows will fly slower than the broadhead too, so it might make some sense to give all of them a lower pitched whoosh sound or something.

Just tested it in-game, and that's pretty neat. I sat atop some crates in the Warehouse level and watched guards get attracted, somewhat, to the clicking sounds. There's definitely way too much reverb; I'll fix it; and will also ramp up the volume a bit. Might tweak it in other respects a bit, too.

I noticed the clicking sound file repeated several times, probably too many? -- since the clicking seemed to go a little long. What do you think? I know, we're still testing so little things like this don't matter much and maybe it's not worth it to mention now.

I've confirmed I would like to see the flight sound get in there eventually, too -- so I can test different sounds we might use there.

The T2-style flight sound as it exists, though, doesn't make much sense to me; never has. But I must admit, I have grown to kinda like it in T2 ;) I could do without it though.

It only made sense IMO, if you think that it emits a kind of hypnotic sound. This is also supported by the rings that are spreading out from it. I never considered the noise arrow sound to be a regular arrow sound.

Gerhard

I noticed the clicking sound file repeated several times, probably too many? -- since the clicking seemed to go a little long. What do you think? I know, we're still testing so little things like this don't matter much and maybe it's not worth it to mention now.

I set the sound to loop for the duration of the noisemaker. We can tweak the noisemaker duration to whatever we want, right now I think I have it set to 25 or 30 seconds. We'll want it to last for some time so AI can home in on it, since they won't know exactly where it is when they're still a few rooms away.

• 1 month later...

I still haven't fixed the noisemaker reverb. My apologies. While tweaking the noisemaker sound, though, I created this clockwork winding/unwinding sound that might work for a camera or something. It winds up at the beginning, and winds down at the end; and has some randomness built-in throughout it to make it sound not completely like a simple, cheesy loop. My intent was to have this running in the background of the noisemaker arrow's clicks, but it sounds a little to electronic for that, imo. Which is why I mention it maybe be used for a video camera or something. It's purposely quiet so it is subtle.

I was re-thinking the time duration you made the noisemaker last, Ishtvan, and it being like 20 or 30 seconds is actually a good idea. I remember the time seeming too short in T2 sometimes. It's really necessary to distract the attention of guards for a while, because you have to sneak around (move slowly) in Thief. My revised noisemaker looks like it was going to go for about 30-35 seconds. Anyone have any problems with this?

Anyways, here's the clockwork sounds...

* Clockwork - Winding (OGG version) -377 KB

* Clockwork - Winding (MP3 version) -663 KB

Doesn't it currently go for about 30 seconds? Most comments were that it was too long.

Thanks Gildoran :) Yeah, SH, if you're referring to the current noisemaker sound in TDM -- I commented on it seeming to long; as did a couple others I think? Maybe when the sound is finalized, then, we can address how long it should go -- as it will take gameplay tweaking. It should be fairly easy to tweak the duration in the finalized sound file if/when that is necessary. I'd hate for it to be too short and barely have any gameplay advantage; but I'd hate for it to be too long and annoy people. It will need good testing. I wonder how long T2's goes. I haven't timed it. Does anyone have any opinions on if T2's seemed to be "too short," "too long" or "just right" for you?

I'm not sure how long it should go, it's up to the sound designers if they want to make a longer sound that plays the whole time, or we could make a shorter sound and loop it if it needs to be longer. I guess the only real gameplay impact of the length is how likely AI are to home in on it, and we haven't even written the AI behavior for hearing sounds from a few rooms away that they can't easily locate, so we might have to wait until that AI behavior is coded to judge how long they'll take to find it, and then pick a time according to whether we want them to find it.