The Dark Mod Forums

Gramophone Model

Magnesius

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many polys is it?

It is the high poly version (1384 triangles); I am currently creating the low poly version. Also, I am creating an alternative texture - just for the case the shop AntiquePool.de won't let us use the shop picture as a texture. They already have received a mail from me, let's see...

I didn't get a chance to look at it yet (HD problems) but that might be too many polys for a prop. We usually do a high poly model to use for making the normalmap, and then a low poly version for the actual game.

I didn't get a chance to look at it yet (HD problems) but that might be too many polys for a prop. We usually do a high poly model to use for making the normalmap, and then a low poly version for the actual game.

Agreed, 1324 is way too many for a simple in-game prop like this.

It's a good-looking model though, if it can be renderbumped onto a suitable low-poly version it would make a good addition.

I am on it (until now, I was pretty busy with my university application).

Posting this here:

I had some time for retexturing my gramophone. It looks different now, and there won't be any copyright problems. The shop did not respond to my email; surely it is easier for them to say "no" in this manner. The new model has the name "grammo2.ase".

However, it still consists of 1300 triangles - and although I have a 'decimate' function in Blender 3D, using this feature would delete the entire UV mapping of the mesh. Of course I have spend some time on creating the UV mapping, so I am open to all alternative suggestions for decimating a model in Blender while keeping the texture mapping! Perhaps you are using a different modeling program and are able to create a low poly model.

I have already completed the normal mapping - the model has only to be simplified (from 1300 triangles to ~600). Can you do that?

I don't have any modeling knowledge at all. Perhaps someone else will volunteer.

Don't ever decimate a model. EVER.

What you need to do is to create a completely new, low-poly model with a new UV-map and then renderbump the high-poly model onto it using either Doom 3's internal renderbump or an external program like ORB.

Alternatively you may be able to submit the high-poly model to another modeller and persuade them to do the renderbumping and low-poly model generating for you.

You have no choice. When you remove polys, you have to re-do all your UV coordinates, since they are essentially a property of polys.

That's a pity. By the way, here is the new gramophone texture:

new0yd.jpg

1) Sharper lines

2) More detailed logo "His master's voice"

4) Area with the most polygons. I will take care of that part soon.

Also, the new texture should not cause any open copyright questions.

Edited by Magnesius

New version:

ingame9bl.jpg

I have managed to delete 551 triangles, which were not in exponated areas of the model. It consists now of 833 triangles; a value that should be sufficient for ingame use.

@ Orbweaver: I did create the normal map from the texture itself, using the nvidia plugin for image editing programs. It creates nice "bumps" as well. However, I will try to get into your method soon with a new model.

I suppose my gramophone model is now finished. Springheel, I will send you the most recent version; let me know if you encounter any problems with it!

I've added it, but currently the textures don't display. The model is called grammo3 but the material is grammo2, is that correct?

I've added it, but currently the textures don't display. The model is called grammo3 but the material is grammo2, is that correct?

Yes, in fact, it's the 16th version of the gramophone, but the second of the texture. I did make one mistake, though. Open the file "grammo3.ase" in a text editor, and search for the following text:

*BITMAP "//base/textures/ewood/grammo2"

Replace it with this:

*BITMAP "//base/textures/magnesius/grammo2"

I have placed the texture in a different directory upon packaging the files, hence this error. By the way, I have made another model. It could be a special loot item. B)

Ah nice! I was thinking about musical instruments. :) I can send you some sources that I wanted to model. But I'm rather slow and not that good in modelling anyway.

Please send them to me. By the way, I am interested in creating more static meshes for the Dark Mod!

Edited by Magnesius

I have placed the texture in a different directory upon packaging the files, hence this error.

Your model points directly to the textures? Shouldn't it just point to the material path? I've moved all you textures into our folder structure and changed the material file appropriately. I guess I'll have to manually edit the ASE file.

By the way, I have made another model. It could be a special loot item.

Nice looking model, but a valve trumpet feels a little modern for our setting. Obviously you can model, so why don't you apply as a team-member? :)

Nice looking model, but a valve trumpet feels a little modern to me. If you'd like to do some models for us, why don't you apply as a team-member?

I hereby do.

Aside from the gramophone and the trumpet model, I was also working on these pieces of furniture. I originally intended them for a Dark Mod campaign, and I am still pondering about this idea. But, as the release date is certainly 2 years away, it might make more sense to work on the Dark Mod itself - and therefore helping to release the toolset a bit earlier. :)

Replace it with this:

CODE

*BITMAP "//base/textures/magnesius/grammo2"

What is this pointing to? Is this supposed to be the material path, or the location of the .tga textures?

That's what I thought. But it still isn't working. I'll dig further.

edit: My bad...it's fixed now.

Good to hear that. I thought you wanted to take a look at the model quickly, so I did assume that you extracted all the package's content to the base-directory and changed the path in the ASE model file explained above.

By the way, should I contact New Horizon about joining the team, or could you please arrange that?

@OrbWeaver: I am curious. My material file has the following content:

textures/magnesius/grammo2
{
qer_editorimage  textures/magnesius/grammo2_ed.tga
diffusemap	   textures/magnesius/grammo2_d.tga
specularmap	  textures/magnesius/grammo2_s.tga
bumpmap		  textures/magnesius/grammo2_local.tga
}

I access the texture with:

//base/textures/magnesius/grammo2

Please correct me if you have another method.

Edited by Magnesius

@OrbWeaver: I am curious. My material file has the following content:

textures/magnesius/grammo2
{
qer_editorimage  textures/magnesius/grammo2_ed.tga
diffusemap	   textures/magnesius/grammo2_d.tga
specularmap	  textures/magnesius/grammo2_s.tga
bumpmap		  textures/magnesius/grammo2_local.tga
}

I access the texture with:

//base/textures/magnesius/grammo2

Please correct me if you have another method.

That is the correct method. You will notice that if you remove "//base/" from the ASE reference you get the exact same name as the material, which is how it should be.

Magnesius: You should be a team-member now and see all the forums. If not, let me know, otherwise, take a look at this thread for current model assignments: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3315