The Dark Mod Forums

Elite Draw Sword

Domarius

Much improved! Quite nice. :thumb:

I especially like the foot motion, and the very slight placement of the head the moment it's brought to full. It even looks like there's a slight snap back to the draw - it doesn't just go to 100% and stop, it goes to 101% and then back to 100%. I think this is your best one.

Yep, looks good, Domarius :thumb: The only odd thing I notice is he's not fully grasping the sword handle, as his forefinger is lifted off the handle. (Maybe this issue has already been mentioned and we're not supposed to pay attention to it.)

PS: Can you fix the shoulder pads? LOL!!! J/k!!! I thought you'd like that 'blast from the past' comment.

PS: Can you fix the shoulder pads? LOL!!! J/k!!! I thought you'd like that 'blast from the past' comment.

I'm not aware of that past statement, so don't get mad at me, but... I noticed you can see missing polys from his arm. Was that always the case or is that due to the anim??

sweet! Only critique is that the initial reach of the hand over to the hilt seems to happen blindingly fast right now. I guess that could be a believable speed, but because the animation is limited to 24 fps, the reach over happens in 1 or 2 frames and looks a bit jerky.

YEs ,the general movment and poses are goiod, but everything starts and stops moving at the same time, which makes it look really amateur. Break the timimg of the body parts up a bit.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That looks quite nice on first look. :) The sword seems to move off to the inside while drawing, but it's not really noticeable unless you look closely at it. It may not even be noticable ingame in that case, because the animation doesn't repeat so often.

The front foot is pretty static though. Again this is not so apaprent until closer inspection, but if you watch it several times it looks as if it is glued to the floor.

Gerhard

Regarding the timing - I wanted him to draw and step back in the one move. I spent time getting the sword to come out just at the right moment as his foot comes down because that's how I felt I should do it when I practiced it. Are you talking about the more subtle movements?

Regarding the foot - how can it possibly move? He's standing on it to lift the other foot up. I think the feeling that it's glued to the floor might come from watching the same anim several times in a row. In the game it shouldn't feel like this since he will start running or something in the next instant.

Regarding the foot - how can it possibly move? He's standing on it to lift the other foot up.

I was thinking more of a slight shift. Not neccessarily on the foot itself, but on the calf(?).

I think the feeling that it's glued to the floor might come from watching the same anim several times in a row. In the game it shouldn't feel like this since he will start running or something in the next instant.

That could be. I tried that movement myself, and I also didn't have to move my foot, even with backstepping. But I think there should be a bit more moevment downwards from the knee. As I said though, it's not that obvious because the motion is pretty dynamic, and once ingame it will not be seen so often repeatedly.

Which reminds me of something else. When we have multiple AIs getting alerted at the same time and they start to draw the sword, will it mean that all of them perform exactly the same motion like clones?

Gerhard

Yep, same as in T2, unless we provide random alternates.

It won't be so bad if we throw in a random delay for how long it takes an AI to change states. I imagine if they all do the anim at different times it would look fine.

Play T2 and see how much you notice this. The only time I can remember really noticing it is when I flash bombed. I guess unlike all the other state changes, this one happened instantly, so they did the staggering anims in perfect unison. I can't remember where else in the game I noticed anything like this.

I never used the flashbomb, and during the regular game it was not really obvious. The only thing where this usualy was very noticable was, when you dropped a dead AI onto the floor. They often ended up in very similar position. You can see this effect pretty good on the collectors screenshots. :)

I was mentioning this not neccessarily as a task for you, but rather so that we should keep this in mind.

Gerhard

IF you look at the start of the animaiton, the foot, hips and both hands all begin to move at the same instant. People don't move like that, body parts move independantly.

ALso, there is no anticipation before the action. He's completely sationary and the next instant is perferoming the main movement.

When you move onto one foot, there is always a knee bend anticipation as you push off, and the body moves forward a little before moving backwards.

This sword draw will only work for occasions where the guard is clearly seeing an enemy standing right in front of him. It's an 'en garde' stance he ends up in. If he's just heard somethign suspiciosu or seen a fleeting shadow, he would not draw the sword like this.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yep, same as in T2, unless we provide random alternates.

Obviously we should worry about getting one set done first, but that's a good goal to have for down the road...that's why I've been suggesting we keep different versions of animations.

Thanks for the list again oDD.

Regarding "anticipation" movement, I'll do some, but I don't want to over do it - because personally I think your "thief lean" anim looks a bit too cartoony as a result of this.

As for the pose - I was think of doing a few different sword anims... well perhaps I should aim for something a bit more generic for now.

But ideally I want to have different anims.

• If they see you and you bolt, they should start running WHILE they draw their swords.
  • If they see soemthing but do not want to give chase (because its not running), then they should draw something like my anim up there.
  • If they are surprised, like by an explosion or other loud noise, or someone appearing right close to them, they should draw it out all panic-y like. Because then they will go into running mode.
  • If they go to alert because of a noise (that wasn't loud enough to be surprising), they should draw it out slowly and carefully, since they will go into search mode.

These would require code to detect these different situations so I guess it really would be for a bit later.