The Dark Mod Forums

I Would Like To Help

alan9000

:) Hi My name is alan and I have been a commercial artist for the last fifteen years,

I have been poly modeling and texturing for five years building my portfolio. It is my aim to work in the games industry and would be very pleased to work with you on this mod. I would be happy to help with either modeling or texture, concept work ...it all helps to build the portfolio and would be great to work with a group towards a greater goal.

take a look at some of my work at www.alandickinson.net.... I have a load of new digital images I have not updated ...if you are interested I can send some to you ?

That stuff sure looks real great to me. :) You have to wait though, until Fingernail is back. He is the Project Lead and the only admin, so you can get access only when he is back. Should be in a few days.

I'm Lead Programmer, not artist, so I can't say much on that. But by judging your portfolio I would say you are aboard. :)

Gerhard

Hi Alan. I'm the Lead Artist for the project. Your portfolio looks very good, and although we need to wait for Fingernail to get you set up, I think it's safe to say we could use you. The more modellers at the moment, the better, and I could use someone else to help me out with character art.

Polygon limits? For maps I'd go about 8000-10000 brushes, with about 15-20,000 tris in a single scene at most. For models you'll have to talk to DeepO or Oddity, they know far more about that than I do.

Texture sizes...our average texture is about 512x512, rarely lower than 256x256 and never over 1024x1024 since the engine automatically compresses any texture larger than that. Keep in mind that all the resolutions have to be divisible by 2, like 128x512, 256x1024, 512x512, ect...

You should be able to get the hang of it pretty quickly, since you're already good at modelling everything here will come second nature to you.

Please forgive my ignorance but what do you mean when you say brushes ..I have never heard that before. I understand the rest of your comments….this is exactly the reason I want to work with you guys so I can learn a little more about the transition of 3d 2d elements into a game engine

Ive only heard the term brushes used in context with game editors, so if you haven't used one before then it's no surprise you haven't run across it before.

At it's most basic a brush is just a cube...or 6 polygons if you wanna be exact. The broadest term is any geometry you lay in the editor besides patches (curved surfaces) or imported models. They're the building blocks of your maps, you'll use them more than anything else.

Edit: looks like Fingernail beat me to the punch. Like he said, since you're gonna be a modeller you won't have to worry about brushes at all.

lol, anyway...I think I mixed you up with the other new guy..judging from his work it looks like he's gonna be interesting in mapping at some point.

Edited by Renzatic

Ok ..I understand.

What’s the procedure for getting started ..do you give me a task or do I choose to model something off the list. My days are dedicated to my commercial art (self employed) but I do spend a lot of time in the evenings and weekends modelling stuff so I can get cracking on something right away.

Right now we've got Oddity working on the Builder priest, the guards, and the zombie, and DeepOmega is working on the thief model and various props and loot items. Anything beyond that is up for grabs, just pick something you think looks neat and pass it by Springheel so he can check to see if someone else isn't already working on it.

There's also a thread in the 3D models forum you can check, modeller roll call. Hit it up, too.

Edited by Renzatic

Go ahead and post in the modeller roll call in the 3d Models thread. There is also a list of required models in that forum...just let me know what you'd like to sign up for.