The Dark Mod Forums

Application - Flix Modeller

FliX

hi,

im a big fan of the Thief games, of all looking glas games actualy :P

i wanted to ask if you might need another object modeller, im still "relatively" new to modeling, but im an old dog when it comes to modding, i used to do alot of mapping for various games.

im not (yet) very good at UV mapping or texturing, but i feel rather confident modeling wise by now :)

here are some of my models that i have built lately

spacemarine1_small.jpg

Spacemarine wire

Toyota Supra

supra wire

supra wire with hypernurbs on

Shotgun - WIP

Audi A8 - WIP

Audi A8 - WIP

defiant_9_small.jpg

sincerly

fan.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Those cars and shotguns are very nice in regards to detail :) very very nice.

As to a modelling position, we could use good modellers afaik (NH will top up the details hopefully) but our biggest problem atm is that we don't have too many skinners.

BTW, that Audi is very sweet :D

thanx, yea the audi is my favorite too :D

as i said im not too good at skinning and uvmapping yet, but im still learning :D

PS

is this thread enough as an aplication, or should i also write the same content in an email,....?

Edited by FliX
fan.gif

It mainly depends on what model you are making, for example, a ring does'nt need 1000 polys, it can easily make do with about 80 - 100, the rest of the detail is added with normalmapping. For something like a person though, more polys are acceptable etc. One of the modellers would fill you in quite well. But basically, not a person made up of like 60000 polys or something.

out of general interest, how many polys shoud an ingame model have?

I'd say as a rule: as little as possible, whilst keeping the level of quality the majority of the models have. :D

A character can have about 6000 polys I would say, while ideally even a complex piece of furniture should not exceed 1000 polys.

Apart from that very nice work! :)

Kind Regards

gleeful

It's the polys in the scene that are important. A single object could have 50000 polys as long as it was in a room by itself without too much else going on. On the other hand, a pillar that was intended to be used in sets of 12 would not want that many polys.

ive never succseded in getting a normal map to work, somebody would have to explain to me exactly how to get it to work, i could not get my head arround melody (that is the nvidia proggie isnt it... or am i mixing things up again)

fan.gif

well i suggest downloading GIMP (free program) and then getting the normalmap plugin for it. You then open the texture in it and select normal map (i can explain to you better once you have it) and set the depth of it. Ans presto, you have a normal map. This is what I use, others use the nvidia plugin but Renz says GIMP's one is better.

FliX, you need to add more details to your bath tub; the polygon count doesn't matter at this time. Add some elaborated squiggles to the upper border, and normalmap the mesh in Doom 3. You can then use the detailed normal map on the low polygon count bath tub.

Oh, and reconsider the use of certain squiggles at the bottom of your posts

Edit:

ive never succseded in getting a normal map to work

First, create both a high and low polygon count model of your bath tub; its dimensions should of course be the same. UV map them both. Then, use the internal renderbump feature of Doom 3, as explained here.