The Dark Mod Forums

Poster

bob_arctor

I have on my wall a Darwinia poster from the Temple cutscene from Introversion.

I have it because the in game art is so beautiful it deserves to be seen in big, lots.

I reckon you should sell posters of some good screenshots. In my mind I picture one like the long corridors of the Museum of TDS, where that game looked best, loads of detail and style (I reckon your artwork'll be up to it) and a guard at one end, just like in gameplay minus the HUD and englarged, in hi-res.

That would look cool.

Or some kind of rooftop scene'd be cool.

I'd pay about £5 or even £10 if it was really good, have it mail ordered. Darwinia one was £5 minus p and p.

Could be a real earner if you get enough people interested.

If you used Kinko's or something you could print them on demand so there wouldn't be a big initial invesment, and you would cover the printing cost with the person's money order or paypal payment when they pay. It would take someone to organize it and all, though.

Kinko's would also allow you to print large format on nice paper.

And no, I dont' work for Kinkos ;)

Edited by Hewer

And no, I dont' work for Kinkos ;)

LOL

I thought this was a joke suggestion no? Who the hell would order a poster of a screenshot over the net for money when it would take about a week (depending which country you're in) to get to you?

I would'nt, to me it'd be a waste of money, as I could go and print out the screenie myself. Fair enough though, I have got TDM so yeah. Also another problem is that pretty much no 2 members in our team have actually met in person afaik.

Yeah, part joke, part "well, if somebody really wants to get serious about this...".

If it's just a screenshot to be printed out then, yeah, just make available some high res screenshots to appease the masses.

It sounds like bob would be willing to pay though, so if somebody were willing to design a few promotional posters nicely and go through the trouble of organizing the whole endeavor, then the Kinko's idea might work. It would take a few more than bob willing to shell out in order to make it worthwhile, though- hence the joke part. :P Not a stab at bob, though. ^_^

The only problem with uber-res shots is that 1) noone really has good enough equipment to run D3 with AA 16x and a resolution of 3000+ or whatever. This means that the resolution will be limited by hardware capabilities. I'm sure I could run D3 at 1200 x whatever but that's still too small for a wall poster.

A mix of images might do though, with nice borders outlining each screenie. Hmm, might try something like that. I'll just take a crapload of screenies and plop em into Paintshop. Or someone with better photoshop skills could do it.

Hell let's have a competition, the person to create the nicest wallpaper using the screenshots available on www.thedarkmod.com wins....something. Maybe a texture, or a pleasant interview with Odd :rolleyes::P

Well £10 would be something to seriously think about. But if I were feeling rich and it was a cool poster...

And you see already that it's not as easy as you think. You need someone who can run it at massive resolutions, play with the image and the game to make sure it's good.

And I am thinking a massive single image, like the Darwinia one, which is hard to do. Hence the cost.

http://store.introversion.co.uk/product_in...?products_id=50

The one with the temple and the worshipping Green Guys.

most probably are, but hell i don't know where to get em

Not to spoil the fun or anything but IMO you guys even if manage to make the posters you can´t sell them as this is a mod using the Doom3 engine.

" The Software, the Printed Materials, and all copyrights, trademarks, and all other conceivable intellectual property rights related to the Software and the Printed Materials are owned by Id Software and are protected by United States copyright laws"

I can be wrong so if that is the case them sorry and make your posters, and please don´t take this baddly i´m just informing you guys.

As we the portuguese say " Quem te avisa teu amigo é", "Who informs you your friend is " :) .

" The Software, the Printed Materials, and all copyrights, trademarks, and all other conceivable intellectual property rights related to the Software and the Printed Materials are owned by Id Software and are protected by United States copyright laws"

"The printable material" refers to the manuals coming with the game. Not screenshots that you print from the game.

Gerhard

Still, I'd guess than it's not legal to sell screenshots from doom, even if you have made all the models and textures yourself.

At least not without asking permission first, and they're pretty amiable and generous at id, so I'm sure they'd say yes.

We are, after all, giving a lot of people an incentive to buy their game.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

i was thinking you should have a support paypal tho, pay 5$ US or so and be able to be testing the latest builds with the team and provide feedback in the dev forums. I'd pay simply cuz I wanna help... course youd have to put stipulations on ppl, like make them sign a non disclosure agreement so they cant leak crap without being sued. anyhow just a thought to earn the team money.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

Still, I'd guess than it's not legal to sell screenshots from doom, even if you have made all the models and textures yourself.

It would be very difficult to argue this I think. Copyright applies to the assets themselves, not the underlying codebase that is used to render them (obviously the code itself is copyright, but it does not "infect" your own assets that are rendered with it).

If this did stand up in court it would be very bad news since it would mean that Microsoft own all the copyrights on Word documents you write, in fact they would own the copyright on anything you produce while using their Windows operating system.

Aren't there virtual "render to file" plugins for OGL, specifically for generating print-quality screenshots?

I think the Render To Texture function is actually used for the in-game screenshots (which is why there is no antialiasing or anything). I have never tried rendering a screenshot larger than the screen resolution, it would be interesting to see if there is some kind of upper limit.

Hmm, I didn't know that you could take screenshots at higher resolutions that your monitor supports.

That would be very handy for getting super detailed shots for use in making posters and things

of that sort. Also, is there a way to force screenshots to use full AF and AA applied to the scene

before it's saved as a file? Might as well make the screenshot look as good as possible. :)

oDDity: Just curious, is your avatar supposed to be a certain character or just a more or less

random person? Also, did you model that avatar? :)

i was thinking you should have a support paypal tho, pay 5$ US or so and be able to be testing the latest builds with the team and provide feedback in the dev forums. I'd pay simply cuz I wanna help... course youd have to put stipulations on ppl, like make them sign a non disclosure agreement so they cant leak crap without being sued. anyhow just a thought to earn the team money.

Hehe, thanks for the idea and all, but I could'nt take money from the very community that kept the Thief legacy alive. Though I'd be able to use the extra cash I just could'nt take it from such a great community. I can't speak for other members tho. :)