The Dark Mod Forums

Poster

bob_arctor

Hmm, I didn't know that you could take screenshots at higher resolutions that your monitor supports.

That would be very handy for getting super detailed shots for use in making posters and things

of that sort. Also, is there a way to force screenshots to use full AF and AA applied to the scene

before it's saved as a file? Might as well make the screenshot look as good as possible. :)

The syntax is

screenshot <width> <height> <samples>

Width and height should be obvious - it may or may not be possible to use a larger than screen resolution, as I said I haven't tried it. <samples> allows you to perform a sort of antialiasing substitute, by taking a number of screenshots with a slightly different camera point to soften the image. I tend to use 32 for best results.

As for AF, I think this is applied anyway based on your render settings.

oDDity: Just curious, is your avatar supposed to be a certain character or just a more or less

random person? Also, did you model that avatar? :)

He's one of the mage faction I modeled. He looks like a grumpy bastard, and makes a more suitable avatar for me.

mage1.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

It would be very difficult to argue this I think. Copyright applies to the assets themselves, not the underlying codebase that is used to render them (obviously the code itself is copyright, but it does not "infect" your own assets that are rendered with it).

If this did stand up in court it would be very bad news since it would mean that Microsoft own all the copyrights on Word documents you write, in fact they would own the copyright on anything you produce while using their Windows operating system.

I don´t know if ID have the same polici, but any mods made with Source even Total modifications, are propriety of Valve, thats is why they sell the CounterStrike-ConditionZero, CS-Source and the DayOfDefeat-Source games that were mods in the first place.

He's one of the mage faction I modeled. He looks like a grumpy bastard, and makes a more suitable avatar for me.

Cool model is it the hight poly model or the normal mapped ingame one? And can you show a more lighted pic so i can see all the details. :) So please forget your grumpy basterd side and grant me this request. :P please :rolleyes: .

You can see all the details that there are to see in that shot, unless you have a bad monitor.

It's only a robe and a head, there are no details, it's just a quick concept model.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don´t know if ID have the same polici, but any mods made with Source even Total modifications, are propriety of Valve, thats is why they sell the CounterStrike-ConditionZero, CS-Source and the DayOfDefeat-Source games that were mods in the first place.

That covers the distribution of mod code (since it contains or is linked with their proprietary code), not mere screenshots of those mods in action.

Of course id may have a clause stating that you cannot commercially exploit the D3 engine, which would cover the sale of mod posters, but they could not claim copyright ownership of in-game renderings of 3rd-party assets merely because they own the engine that was used to create the rendering.

You can see all the details that there are to see in that shot, unless you have a bad monitor.

It's only a robe and a head, there are no details, it's just a quick concept model.

Ok oDDity cool concept them. :)

That covers the distribution of mod code (since it contains or is linked with their proprietary code), not mere screenshots of those mods in action.

Of course id may have a clause stating that you cannot commercially exploit the D3 engine, which would cover the sale of mod posters, but they could not claim copyright ownership of in-game renderings of 3rd-party assets merely because they own the engine that was used to create the rendering.

Yes i agree with you.

Well put on some ridiculously high quality screenshots then and we'll do it ourselves, if we can drag our lazy arses from the PC.

lol. Hell I can try but my monitor can only do a maximum of 1600 or so ;)

Perhaps someone with an uber LCD?

Well, unless there is some function to do uber res shots I can't. My monitor just can't do such high res shots - it just does'nt go up that high. Maybe someone else on the team has some uber crazy res CRT but if you want print quality shots you'd need some pretty crazy hardware and even then, I can imagine the best you might get is 2.5k.