The Dark Mod Forums

Boaf: Application

boaf

I've been messing with music for about 10 years now, got into the usage of electronics to create music about 5 or 6 years ago.

I don't remember how I came across TDM but when I did I wanted a piece of it.

Anyway, if you're still interested in having new sound designers I'd be willing to help out. I'd only want to do music (or ambience, whatever you want to call it) because sound effects are too short to really showcase the sounds.

Here are some samples if you're still reading (all created in Propellerheads Reason, though I have experience in other programs as well):

http://www.awksijek.com/mus/sample1.mp3 < The mixing is off, sorry.

http://www.awksijek.com/mus/sample2.mp3

http://www.awksijek.com/mus/sample3.mp3

Thanks. :wub:

Edited by boaf

Hi :)

Sounds pretty good. Hopefully New Horizon will pop in soon and go through the application process with you. As far as I remember, you have to send an application (just like what you wrote) to an email address which I've forgotten. aargh...

I'm amazed you can pull of something like that with Reason. It always struck me as more suited for beat work.

Have you used it much? Reason is very precise with beats, yes, but it's really amazing what kind of sounds can be made with just a few effects.

:wub: Makes me wet just thinking about. (Joking, joking.)

Thanks.

wet

Unless it's a medical problem, that sounds... female! AFAIK, TDM has no female members yet (unless someone is playing intarnet gender switcheroobies! :ph34r: ). Probably a direct result of all the rugby that goes on behind the scenes.

Disclaimer: Actual gender has nothing to do with consideration. And I'm not in sound. Checks will not be honored.

I've used Reason at a friend's... I think it was version 3.0 or something, the newest one. I don't understand why they don't put in a staff. I'd figure that is one of the most important tools to a composing musician; I just can't comprehend leaving that out, even if just as a user option. :mellow:

Unless it's a medical problem, that sounds... female! AFAIK, TDM has no female members yet (unless someone is playing intarnet gender switcheroobies! :ph34r: ). Probably a direct result of all the rugby that goes on behind the scenes.

lol Probably a medical problem. And nobody said intarnet gender switcheroobies were bad... <_<

But that's not the case.

Disclaimer: Actual gender has nothing to do with consideration. And I'm not in sound. Checks will not be honored.

Oh...I'll honor your check. ;)

I don't understand why they don't put in a staff. I'd figure that is one of the most important tools to a composing musician; I just can't comprehend leaving that out, even if just as a user option. :mellow:

A staff is very important for composing music, but in programs like Reason, the average user is not aiming to be a professional composer, they just want to get a beat or bassline across. Finale on the other hand... :wub:

Cursed creative types! Sorry guys, no females yet.

I assume Finale is not freeware? There's one out there that I used in conjunction with Reason (for the little bit of MIDI transcribing I was doing), but I can't remember what it was.

Time for some googlin'.

Edit: Aha, I think it was Anvil Studio. I used that to lay out staves and then imported them to Reason. Beyond that and assigning some instruments and a few effects, I didn't learn much about how to use it though.

Note to self: Must have more hours in day.

Hey Boaf - The tracks sound interesting! Good work. For me, personally, though -- I hear only glimpses of 'thiefness' throughout the pieces, but the pieces -- when each is taken as a whole -- don't really work for me as being "Thief," for some reason. (I don't get a Thief vibe too much.) I may be a minority here. I still like the pieces, don't get me wrong, but I guess I'm just not sure Reason is a good solution for Thiefness?...

I think it's Pak's decision, so take my comments with a grain of salt. If you become a member, I'd be happy to have you on-board; good luck with the application!

SneaksieDave: No, Finale is definitely not freeware. :D And, yes, more hours are nice.

Darkness_Falls: Thanks! I was just going for drones more than music. That's definitely not what I'd be going for. I probably should have changed them. :blink: Reason wouldn't be the problem, it would only be how I use it. :P

• 2 weeks later...