The Dark Mod Forums

Sfx Requests

oDDity

I'm currently using sounds borrowed from other games for these.

Machines/generators humming and whirring

crickets chriping

general wind/ambience

large galleon ceaking

water lapping at a dock

sound of a magic/electric arc lamp type thing

a small hanging sign creaking in the breeze

wind chimes gently tinkling

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

Check the sticky: Ambient Design Document

We've got tons of machines/generators. We've got crickets. We've got wind sounds. We've got water/dock sounds. We've got electricity sounds. I even think we have a creaking wind sound which might work for you as a creaking sign.

They're all in the darkmod_ambient_environmental soundshader.

Fair enough, but where should I put this info then? The design document board? Does anyone even read that? :)

I read it. Also the design board is more a reference, where we record what we agreed to. So you don't need to read it, you just need to point at it.

The info is also availible on the wiki (still somewhat unorganized): http://www.evilarmyfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php/Sound

In the long run WIKI would be the best place, because when we release, mappers will ask questions like this.

Gerhard

Why would I read technical info on programming and sound engineering?

Because you are not working in a void, and some aspects of individual departments affect other departments as well. Just think of Ishtvan when he needed to know who models are setup for certain things.

If it was in a thread called ' List of completed SFX' I would have looked at it.

AFAIK there is such a thread, and if you had looked at the sound forum every now and then you would have known it. ;)

Gerhard

Hmm, do you think a request thread in the beta-mapper forums would make sense? Or even better, a feedback thread?

My point is that I'm unaware of any feedback from people actually using ambients and sfx so far, but we need that in order to straighten things out.

I fear that in a year or so someone will drop in and say "sorry Schatten, but your ambients pop so much they burst my eardrums". I'd rather be able to fix issues in a progressive manner than to rework the whole bunch.

Because you are not working in a void, and some aspects of individual departments affect other departments as well. Just think of Ishtvan when he needed to know who models are setup for certain things.

Exactly, and if programmers need any special modifications for models they come an tell me about it, there's no need for me to search the coding forums looking for something that might interest me, it's usually all illegible nonsense as far as I'm concerned. At least when you guys come to the modeling forum you can look at the pretty pictures.

Still, hopefully everyone knows where to look for sounds now.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

..and when I need something from the programming forum, I'll go there, but not before. I don't browse either it, or this sound forum as a matter of habit, and when coders needs a model they come to the modeling forum, that's how I'm saying it should work.

OF course, sparhawk is the project lead, so hasn't the luxury of only reading his own section.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Exactly, and if programmers need any special modifications for models they come an tell me about it, there's no need for me to search the coding forums looking for something that might interest me, it's usually all illegible nonsense as far as I'm concerned. At least when you guys come to the modeling forum you can look at the pretty pictures.

And if modellers need some special sounds they must come to the sound department. :) So you finally came to the correct conclusion. :)

Gerhard

OF course, sparhawk is the project lead, so hasn't the luxury of only reading his own section.

Well, it doesn't hurt to read stuff outside your area, but I know that many wont do it. But it's funny if you complain about missing sounds when you didn't even ask the soundguys first. :)

If it's in the wrong folder structure we would still need to discuss it.

Gerhard

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, that doesn't make sense. "No one" is the absence of people. "Does anyone know anything?" is what you meant to say.

We can add "founder" to the list of Fing's contribution. Honestly, if it wasn't for him rallying us all together, none of us would be here.

"It could have been anyone!" Yeah but it was Fing, and we must respect that.

He didn't rally me, I'd never heard of him until after I decided to join. The reason I joined is because the project needed me, and would be almost futile without me.

I have gained a large, and growing, body of work due to this project which I never would have produced otherwise, so everyone's a winner.

- Emil Zola

character models site