The Dark Mod Forums

Sfx Requests

oDDity

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't rally me, I'd never heard of him until after I decided to join. The reason I joined is because the project needed me, and would be almost futile without me.

I think it's more the other way around. We certainly appreciate your skill, but it's not as if we wouldn't be able to do anything without you. Maybe it wouldn't look so good, but eye candy is not so urgently needed for gameplay.

I have gained a large, and growing, body of work due to this project which I never would have produced otherwise, so everyone's a winner.

Exactly. :)

Gerhard

• 3 weeks later...

Door Sounds

There doesn't seem to be an "official" SFX for opening and closing a door. We have the /sound/misc/CreakyDoorOpen.ogg

However, A) there's no soundshader for it, right now it's called directly by the filename, B) Where did it come from? Did our SFX people make it or was it "borrowed" from a game or something? C) If it were official, wouldn't the sound file be in /sound/sfx/world, along with the button, drawer and other things that are frobbed?

• 2 weeks later...

Mission/Objective Sounds

Should we have a sound effect for failing an optional objective? (I would suggest muted trumpet going wah-wah-wah-waaaah, but that may not suit everyone :) )

E.g., optional objective: Pickpocket the letter from Benny without alerting him. Benny "I see you there!!!" (failed objective sound) ... okay that's not a very good example, but there might be cases where the player wouldn't notice otherwise.

Also, we still need a mission failed & successful piece to go along with a short movie for each.

No, its not. T2 objective success was that "chime" sound. Objective failure was just communicated with the mission failure video playing 5 seconds or something after you caused it to fail. It was quite sudden. Eg. kill a guy, have enough time to stand over his dead body for a moment, and then the game freezes and snaps over to the skull video :)

I like you're idea for a failure sound Ish. I think we should stick with the T2 method though :D

I threw together something similar just so he could have something to use.

Here is the mission completed successfully sfx

http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/darkmod_...ve_complete.ogg

and the mission failed sfx

http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/darkmod_...tive_failed.ogg

Maybe these will do for now.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

@Sax: Thanks a lot for the help! Hopefully I'll have a test of those by next week or so.

I'm talking about the sounds, not the videos. You could fail an objective, complete it, get a new one, or invalidate it and I think all actions used the same sound.

Hmm, you might be right for new objective and objective completed, it kind've gave the same chime sound and just plastered the text on your screen, right? Did it also tell you about objective invalidated? I forget.

T2/convict didn't have optional objectives, did it? So failing an objective meant failing the mission. Or am I wrong? I was thinking we could have optional objectives and also an objective failure sound for failing those.

T2 did have the optional ones, if I remember correctly. Failing an optional objective never meant failing the mission unless you were on the hardest setting, in which case the optional objectives were your objectives. The optional objectives never informed you when they weren't met, only when you had completed them (with a chime and a report at the stats screen after the mission was completed or failed).

If we did have an "optional objective failed" sound it probably shouldn't sound as drastic as the big "mission failed" sound. Maybe more of a buzzer sound that alerts the player to the failed optional objective.

EDIT: I just played through some more T2 and noticed that the "new objective" sound is used to alert players of a completed "optional objective." Just FYI.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

So in T2 optional objectives were defined as objectives that are mandatory on higher difficulty level, but not shown to people at a lower difficulty?

For us I'm thinking they would actually appear on the objectives menu, but be marked as optional. They could be done just as a pride thing, e.g. if you want to know if you succeeded in ghosting or not, but don't want to fail if you don't ghost, or in a campaign, optional objectivs could have some effect on later missions (e.g., "Since I'm already planning to visit the archives, I might as well pick up a set of blueprints for a particular bank I've had my eye on." and then that would determine whether you had a map when you did the bank mission later on)

Btw, does anyone feel like putting together a placeholder GUI for objective succeede and failed? It could just say those words in big letters and play Sax's music for it. Ideally, the mission failed one should also make you go back to the main menu, like the GUI you get after death currently does.

(For some reason when I hear the mission successful one I keep thinking of a news show intro, like "This is CNN." I'm not complaining tho :) )

I'm talking about the sounds, not the videos. You could fail an objective, complete it, get a new one, or invalidate it and I think all actions used the same sound.

And I'm talking about the sounds, not the videos too. And I said, there was only one chime sound for completing. There was no sound for failing.

Don't you think it would have been dumb to hear a happy *chime* sound when you failed cause you killed someone?

So in T2 optional objectives were defined as objectives that are mandatory on higher difficulty level, but not shown to people at a lower difficulty?

No. There were optional objectives, and objectives which only pertained to higher difficulties.

Gerhard

If I have any voice in this, I'd say we give a seperate jingle to each option resolve. It's only natural to provide the player with this kind of information, forcing him/her to check the objectives because the "something happened with your objectives" sound played doesn't make sense. With a distinctive sound for each situation, players don't have to break their immersion more than neccesary.

Sax: I like the "failed objective" concept. Not sure about the "objective complete" jingle, it's a little too brassy for my taste. I think I have made a "objective complete" sound sometime around with some terrible xylophone reeking of 8bit distortion. :&

I think the different jingles should sound similar but distinctive. Ideally, created with most of the same sample set. I'm probably not the right person for that call though, I have no talent for melodies. Sax? :)

And I'm talking about the sounds, not the videos too. And I said, there was only one chime sound for completing. There was no sound for failing.

There might have been no sound upon objective (mission) failure but I'm positive they used the same sound for completing an objective, getting a new one and invalidating/changing one.

Ishtvan, we already have an objective sound on CVS, I would appreciate it if you would use that one instead of uploading more temporary sounds. For mission failure, you can play the mission_start.ogg sound (in the same folder as misison_objective.ogg, sfx/game) for now. Both these sounds are already added to the tdm_sfx_game soundshader.

Ishtvan, we already have an objective sound on CVS, I would appreciate it if you would use that one instead of uploading more temporary sounds. For mission failure, you can play the mission_start.ogg sound (in the same folder as misison_objective.ogg, sfx/game) for now. Both these sounds are already added to the tdm_sfx_game soundshader.

I am using Schatten's existing sound for objective complete. What I was asking for and what Sax provided was for Mission Complete and Mission Failed, which would I guess be sounds to play in the background of some short GUI movie for each case. I guess there was some confusion there. We still need an "objective failed" sound unless we want it to be the same as the "objective succeeded" sound, which would be pretty weird. Also, a "New Objective" sound might be nice.

I like the idea of having a separate "bonus objective" sound to differentiate between the standard objectives and additional bonuses.

@Ish: it always sounded like a news intro to me when T3 did that! I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way! Ha ha!

@Schatten: Too much brass, I definitely agree. I was just in a rush to give our tech teams something to work with. :blush: I'm looking forward to being able to do some more "serious" work on sfx soon.

There might have been no sound upon objective (mission) failure but I'm positive they used the same sound for completing an objective, getting a new one and invalidating/changing one.

That's right, because they are all the same thing really. They all signify progression. Failure is totally different.

@Ish: Okey, I get it. I'll check with drewb50 if he can do the videos when he's done with the intro thing.

@Dom: Yeah. I think most of the time you failed an objective which didn't end the mission, you got a new one, and the standard objective sound was played anyway. Probably this I remembered.

Btw, does anyone feel like putting together a placeholder GUI for objective succeede and failed?

I've posted some concept art for this:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3760