The Dark Mod Forums

Sfx Requests

oDDity

Nice! Now I have to find out how to actually switch to GUIs and stop the game. Death should be as simple as a menu that pauses the game with no option to go back into the game... interesting from a philosophical standpoint :). I'll post elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I have a request that will require a shitload of new sounds:

Moveable items falling on different surfaces. This could vary by the moveable and the surface. I think we'll be able to make do with some general sounds for this (e.g., small item falling in snow, large item falling in snow, ceramic item falling on wood, etc), but it's still a lot of sounds. Hope we get some more SFX people soon. :)

Maybe we should mention this need on TTLG. No one there ever responds to textures and modeller/animators (bunch o' lousy...) but maybe since everyone loves sounds, there might actually be a few that step up. When we don't even have door sounds yet, this is definitely a needed thing.

Yeah, I agree putting a call out for SFX artists would be a good idea. I think Pak has said several times that he's the only one actively working on it and we need more people. Let's see if everyone who says we have to have wonderful sound design because that was the beauty of Thief will put their money where their mouth is.

Probably would be good. More opportunities to get the cream of the crop that way. Until I plunk down some serious bucks ($600+) for serious environmental audio recording equipment, I'm limited with what I can do. i'm still not taking that plunge yet. I'm pretty much an ambient guy. Environmental SFX are out of my capabilities for now.

The request for help should get people who have excellent microphone and recording equipment (not a cheesy microphone that comes with sound cards), and experience recording SFX. Keyboards just aren't enough for the type of realistic sounds we're needing, imo. Seems like we have enough keyboards in our group (judging by all the ambient tracks and machine sounds we can easily crank out), and not enough awesome microphones/recorders.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm afraid I have a request that will require a shitload of new sounds:

Moveable items falling on different surfaces. This could vary by the moveable and the surface. I think we'll be able to make do with some general sounds for this (e.g., small item falling in snow, large item falling in snow, ceramic item falling on wood, etc), but it's still a lot of sounds. Hope we get some more SFX people soon. :)

Already more or less planned for this from the get go. The impact sounds were meant to do this:

- material_glass_impact (0/3)

- material_grass_impact (0/3)

- material_gravel_impact (0/3)

- material_marble_impact (0/3)

- material_metal_impact (0/3)

- material_porcelain_impact (0/3)

- material_stone_impact (0/3)

- material_water_impact (0/3)

- material_wood_impact (3/3)

Where we would have three sounds for each material, the three sounds representing different object sizes. However, I think this changed somewhere down the road, since we wanted a bit more variety. Currently we have three material_wood_impact sounds, which all sounds like big objects.

But anyway, point is, I'm aware of the need for these types of sounds. I'd love to have stuff like things rolling around as well but I have no idea how that would work with the physics engine etc.

And yes, we need more people. I'm not gonna be able to do all of these myself. I'll try to get organized and speak with NH about some kind of SFX recruitment drive.

But anyway, point is, I'm aware of the need for these types of sounds. I'd love to have stuff like things rolling around as well but I have no idea how that would work with the physics engine etc.

Personally I don't think the distinction between objects bouncing/rolling/sliding/slipping is something we can do by the first release, but I could be wrong if we get more programmers or find an easy, efficient way to do it.

Personally I don't think the distinction between objects bouncing/rolling/sliding/slipping is something we can do by the first release, but I could be wrong if we get more programmers or find an easy, efficient way to do it.

Thief 3 did it. Does anyone have the soundfiles extracted? It could be helpful to look at them, and see how they are constructed. Maybe that will even be helpful from a programming perspective.

My friend at school ended up recording a whole bunch of sound for one of her projects. I can check to see if she's still around and willing to share her product.

It was actually pretty funny because she had her husband do a lot of work on it: falling, running, walking and she had him do those on the grass and cement. She could be employed as a foley artist!

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing around and thought about what sounds are missing. I came to the conclusion that we could really use noises made by objects and arrows (arrow hitting metal/tile/etc, object hitting things generally). So yeah if anyone in Sound has time to record or create, some of these sounds would be really good to see ingame :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys-

I've gotten hold of some "pro" sfx kits and was listening to some of them. I can't believe how many of them wound up in Thief:DS! The original files had been edited a bit, but still they were the same files.

BTW, I should have some SFX posted soon to help out with the missing sound files.

Any recommendations for what should be done first?

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Oh, I was just listening to them for inspiration but would be creating my own SFX for the DarkMOD. I didn't mean to imply that I was going to use them in DarkMOD. Sorry.....

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

We're in pretty desperate need of SFX right now...if we could use/distribute them, maybe it would be worthwhile to see what we can use?

@Sax:

You can always check this thread to see what we have/need:

Sounds: SFX

These three would be a good start perhaps?

- arrow_broadhead_flesh (0/2)

- arrow_broadhead_metal (0/2)

- arrow_broadhead_stone (0/2)

@Spring:

I have a library (that we can distribute) that still has some stuff we could probably use. But we need lots of things that aren't in there, so it might be a good idea to be on the lookout for a good quality library somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I was able to get out and do some on-location sound recording and got a start on some things. I'm hoping to have the arrow sounds very soon.

Here are some door sounds for now (probably for metallic doors)

http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/fx_door_metal_01.ogg

http://www.myersmedia.net/darkmod/fx_door_metal_02.ogg

-sax

@Sax:

You can always check this thread to see what we have/need:

Sounds: SFX

These three would be a good start perhaps?

- arrow_broadhead_flesh (0/2)

- arrow_broadhead_metal (0/2)

- arrow_broadhead_stone (0/2)