The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I agree that the current implementation sucks, particularly since the Save command isn't actually disabled, it just silently does nothing.

I agree that save should always save. Tracked here:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=423

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

And fixed (issue #423). Was a trivial fix, obviously. :)

You are too fast for me :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

But wait a second, this non-saving when you want to might be good for a while yet, as a sort of detector of bugs!

I mean that the asterisk may be sometimes inaccurate, such as the other day for Fidcal, and if the game won't save when you KNOW it should be, you can report the issue to improve the asterisk accuracy.

If saves always work, we'll have to just pay more attention to the asterisk to make sure it's working properly (but I suppose that is good enough, so never mind all that!)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

If saves always work, we'll have to just pay more attention to the asterisk to make sure it's working properly (but I suppose that is good enough, so never mind all that!)

I think most users would be more concerned that their data is saved when they think it is, rather than whether the asterisk is working accurately enough. :rolleyes:

(Or where you being sarcastic? I'm not sure)

I'm just saying for now, during development, not for final public release.

But I actually think it's not worth it, and I agree with the sentiment that having save work when you want no matter what outweighs the extra notification of asterisk error

I think the presence/absence of the asterisk itself is notification enough of an "asterisk error". :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yep, I got it built with MinGW, and I'm going to try out Eclipse for code lookup/etc. How might I get set up to contribute to SVN?

Create an account on sourceforge and send OrbWeaver a PM (of course a small monetary concession might speed up things. :P).

Btw: I also have a Visual C++ solution for DarkRadiant available, in case you prefer that one. It's under tools/vcprojects.

I would like something to keep track of the hours spent on a map. It would have to not reset when changing the map name though. Can this be done easily enough?

Heh, I already thought about such a feature long ago too. It can be done, but I doubt that it will be very meaningful. I don't know how often I left DarkRadiant just idling in the background while doing other stuff.

Heh, I already thought about such a feature long ago too. It can be done, but I doubt that it will be very meaningful. I don't know how often I left DarkRadiant just idling in the background while doing other stuff.

Yeah, let's not bloat the application with every idle gimmick we can think of -- if users want to do this, they can use a stopwatch and a notebook.

Yeah, let's not bloat the application with every idle gimmick we can think of -- if users want to do this, they can use a stopwatch and a notebook.

Since I want that feature, I will add it. Using a stopwatch and notebook is not practical at all.

(and it is no problem to have the editor stop counting if there wasn't a userinput for some time..)

a lot of us found it very useful in Dromed, not all of us leave stuff running. But it's no biggie

Yes, I remember dromed users posting the number of hours they had put into their maps. It may seem inconsequential, but I think for a lot of mappers it might be motivational to see if they improve the time they spend on certain tasks in DR. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to have clip use the texture that is currently on the brush being clipped instead of the currently selected texture?

If a brush had more than one texture applied, then clip could use the one that it more used, or default back to caulk maybe. But most brushes are a uniform texture.

I keep forgetting to first select the brush's texture (mmb) before I do a clip, so I end up with a rock having a slice of wood on the side! I know I can set clip to use caulk, but that's just as bad, still have to go in and reset the texture.

Is it possible to have clip use the texture that is currently on the brush being clipped instead of the currently selected texture?

If a brush had more than one texture applied, then clip could use the one that it more used, or default back to caulk maybe. But most brushes are a uniform texture.

I keep forgetting to first select the brush's texture (mmb) before I do a clip, so I end up with a rock having a slice of wood on the side! I know I can set clip to use caulk, but that's just as bad, still have to go in and reset the texture.

It's definitely possible to change the behaviour. We just need to think about something for brushes that are non-uniformly textured, i.e. two or more different shaders. What should DarkRadiant do in this case?

I'm in the habit of middle-clicking the brush itself before I clip it so that its texture is currently selected, but it would be nice not to have to.

Should I open a bugtracker on this?

Recently, I've been decalling my map, and I noticed it is a very slow job.

Could it be possible to get a special decal placer tool for DR?

Some other editor I've used previously had this kind of feature (HL or FarCry, don't remember which). You selected a decal texture and simply clicked on a wall in the editor with a decal tool to get a decal placed on the wanted spot. Very convenient.

Is it possible to write an automated process, which places a mesh of selected size and texture just on top of a clicked wall? The decal tool could have a box in which you could type the size of the new decal mesh, to get exactly the kind of decal you wanted, only with one click.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm in the habit of middle-clicking the brush itself before I clip it so that its texture is currently selected, but it would be nice not to have to.

Should I open a bugtracker on this?

Yes, please do. :)

Recently, I've been decalling my map, and I noticed it is a very slow job.

Could it be possible to get a special decal placer tool for DR?

Some other editor I've used previously had this kind of feature (HL or FarCry, don't remember which). You selected a decal texture and simply clicked on a wall in the editor with a decal tool to get a decal placed on the wanted spot. Very convenient.

Is it possible to write an automated process, which places a mesh of selected size and texture just on top of a clicked wall? The decal tool could have a box in which you could type the size of the new decal mesh, to get exactly the kind of decal you wanted, only with one click.

Heh, I should've wished for such a feature myself, I usually place a lot of decals. Please add this to the Bugtracker too.