The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I tend to agree here, but we might want to wait what other mappers say about this. Any opinions?

I'm not terribly passionate about it either way. On the one hand, the letter change would tend to be more intuitive for those unfamiliar with DR or DoomEd. On the other hand, I'm used to J, and it is the letter DoomEd uses. So, that's potentially unlearning/relearning for those experienced, and annoying, at no real benefit.

There's my non-opinion. :)

Hmm, I can see that too. I wonder how many DoomEd users will try DR? I suspect most DR users will come from the Thief community. And then again, it's just one odd shortcut that can be gotten used to easily enough I suppose.

I think I still lean toward the switch

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

@PinkDot: I seem to have missed your post earlier. The problem was with determining which scale is the most used one. Shader names are always easy to compare, but the texture matrix might differ slightly along faces. I ended up taking up the scale of the face with the most used shader, 1:1 copy, no averaging.

@Komag: I changed the "reporter" permissions a bit, can you see more options (to close issues) now?

I think I'll change the Light Inspector shortcut - DoomEd users (who will presumably be in the minority in the future) can always swap the J and L shortcuts with a few clicks.

edit: Done. This will only affect new installations anyway, btw.

@greebo: Some wiki articles will need updating. Can you confirm the new default key for Light Inspector is L and Entity List is J or is Entity List undefined? And they are the only changes?

Yes, these are the only changes to default keys so far.

Didn't occur to me before to ask: can this type of thing be available in the user shortcuts? Then it can be whatever users want.

Almost every command is available in the shortcuts list, and these two have always been part of it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I remember reading Thief1&2 fan mission readme's and I recall they all had more or less the same standard list of general info about the map, including the build time, which usually simply was vaguely described as 'too long' or something like that.

I've got a very low priority suggestion: howsabout adding a build time counter for DR, so you can easily check how many hours of your life you've wast... um... contributed to the map?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I think I was wondering about the same question back when we discussed this the first time: How would DarkRadiant judge if you're actually working on the map or let it just idling in the background?

Monitoring key strokes and mouse movements is of course a possible way to go, but it has the potential of increasing the ugliness of the codebase, because currently such a monitoring is not supported.

How did DromEd handle this?

I think I was wondering about the same question back when we discussed this the first time: How would DarkRadiant judge if you're actually working on the map or let it just idling in the background?

Monitoring key strokes and mouse movements is of course a possible way to go, but it has the potential of increasing the ugliness of the codebase, because currently such a monitoring is not supported.

How did DromEd handle this?

I don't think it ever handled this, but I could be wrong. DromEd also couldn't know if you worked all day on your map, then threw it away and reloaded the last version from yesterday.

Me think it will average out and a "crude" estimate is better than none. (Of course, it will usually just show you "100 hours" for a map of 2 rooms, and it doesn't then really matter anymore if you worked 50, 100 or 200 hours, it is waaay too long anyway :D

But still I liked that feature, it gave DromEd something unique :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels is saying that Dromed didn't know whether you had left it on all weekend and forgot, thus racking up an extra 72 hours of "working", versus the times you were actually working, but it didn't matter. It just counted all the time and that was fine.

For the most part, just a super basic simple time counter will be good enough for us, I believe. If we are the sort of person who consistently leaves DR running in the background we will just have to know to personally estimate the number down. But most of us don't do that, and Dromed didn't distinguish and it's clock counter was very useful, so I don't think any keystroke thing is necessary. :)

-It really doesen't need to be too exact, it is just an useful estimate. Simply calculate the total time how long the map has been loaded in the editor. No need for bells and whistles.

If a mapper is neurotic enough to get worried if he left the editor open while he visited the bathroom, he can edit the buildtime by hand. :laugh:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a request, maybe others will agree (or maybe it's so easy to implement...)

I would like "Portal Sky" to be added to the Filter list :)

I like Filter-Caulk and have used some of the other ones a bit, but sky would be very useful to me and I think others.

EDIT - maybe also "No Draw Solid"