The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I'd like to see a "check for errors" button. This button would just check for a info_playerstart and entities that have the same name. Countless times I've started without a playerstart or had multiple named entities.

Nah, the playerstart thing is something that should be added as the first entity in your map. But the multiple entities named the same thing, that's a known issue, but I think that's fixed now.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

If it's to be anything like the Worldcraft/Hammer "Check for errors", It'll also include 'missing texture' 'missing model' 'unknown targeted entity' 'brush with more than one visportal face' (hint/skip in Hammer) 'entities > entity limit'

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see DarkRadiant support Left 4 Dead ;) They just release their SDK and Valve Hammer has some of the worst setups after using DR. DR is so incredibly awesome and intuitive compared to it. With DR you can customize anything, make levels REALLY fast because of the simple to use controls and shorcuts, with hammer, you have to make sure you have this window open and this selected to perform tast A then close those, click this button, and then select object and right click to perform task B. DR rules :)

I'd love to see DarkRadiant support Left 4 Dead ;) They just release their SDK and Valve Hammer has some of the worst setups after using DR. DR is so incredibly awesome and intuitive compared to it. With DR you can customize anything, make levels REALLY fast because of the simple to use controls and shorcuts, with hammer, you have to make sure you have this window open and this selected to perform tast A then close those, click this button, and then select object and right click to perform task B. DR rules :)

Left4Dead is based on the Source Engine, totally different map format and everything. How is that going to work?

While adding a lot of the grime_corner decals it occurred to me it would be easier if the create decal could use the last-used texture, maybe even fit. Perhaps a further option on that menu: Make decal, texture & fit. You might find that useful greebo if you use this in gathers.

While adding a lot of the grime_corner decals it occurred to me it would be easier if the create decal could use the last-used texture, maybe even fit. Perhaps a further option on that menu: Make decal, texture & fit. You might find that useful greebo if you use this in gathers.

Fidcal, can you post a short tutorial on how to fit these grime decals to a wall? Also, would it be easy to mdoify the decal so that it:

* fits arches (e.g. has a round top)

* add a version that has some smudges running down like from water dripping down the wall

? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

While adding a lot of the grime_corner decals it occurred to me it would be easier if the create decal could use the last-used texture, maybe even fit.

This is done now in SVN. Decals are getting the texture in the clipboard assigned (provided it has the string "decals" in the shader name) and the texture is fit 1x1.

K we have wireframe, flatshaded, textured and render views, but I think a bumped view would be useful. I noticed for some textures there's details you miss without seeing the bumps and the only way is to go into render view. This is problematic because you then have to place alight and do a bunch of loading and rendering for lights just to see the bump maps. If we could just have the bumpmaps placed ontop of the original texture without additional rendering it would speed things up.

• 2 weeks later...
i think it would be cool to have a "move camera here" in the xyz view.

Hold down CTRL and Middle Mouse click in any ortho view.

Also, holding down the middle mouse button in any ortho view, you can point the camera at the mouse pointer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a wish...

It's something everyone probably thought of at some stage of map editing and preparing assets for TDM. I'm thinking of an inteligent material editor. (possibly used for other def files as well.).

It could be separate window with three main sections:

1) on the left - a list of all materials (let's stick to material editor at this moment) available in the opened .mtr file. Basically, when we open a file, editor would go through it and look for every definition. Then, you could basically select the one you want to work on by clicking it's name.

2) on the right (main section) - text editor for definition. It should be color-coded, like most script/language editors are, so key words in diffrent colour, material name in diffrent, paths in another, comments in another and so on.

3) a toolbar at the top - there would be a number of buttons, which would place a text in the declaration for specific action, without the need for typing it by hand. For many of them a small dialog window would pop up with options available. So, there would be a button for diffuse stage, normal map, specular map, filter and so on, another for frob hightlight, another for ambient stage, another ones for shaders like heat haze and so on. So making material declarations would be as easy as several clicks and choosing the correct path. It could be even inteligent enough to find automatically _local and _s textures for specified diffuse map.

And you still would be able to place manually any change to a value or write something really specific. But editor would automatically look for any typos and syntax errors.

Wouldn't it be great? No more looking for an appropriate file, no more scrolling through definitions, no more tedious and annoying looking for errors....

I know it's a lot of work, greebo is busy with other stuff, but just maybe one day? Who knows..?

Oh, and if this sounds impossible, then please - implement at least "Go to definition" feature in DR. While having selected a texture, you just press a button and it launches a text editor of your choice (set in Preferences) and looks for the material, so you have it on screen in one second.

Thanks.

post-2515-125702299336_thumb.jpg

Is this what you're looking for? A dialogue will pop up, and you can easily copy and paste the one definition that shows up (instead of searching the entire stone textures mtr.) It even has syntax formatting!

Wow! Thanks Mortem Desino - I didn't know about that. It's a long time I haven't been using DR. That's like half of what I was thinking for - and it's colour-coded already!

That's definitely a useful feature, but it doesn't give us possibility to edit that, unfortunately. And some easier, smarter and error free method of editing material declarations is what I am mainly looking for. Some people may not even know, how to implement some material effects, and if they have it under one button that would make their life a lot easier.

I'm not sure if this is even possible (or makes sense), but: if we can export OBJ (brushes now, hopefully patches some day), and work on them in Blender, then... wouldn't it make sense to be able to then import the modified OBJ files back in? Or would that be too hard for both DR and Doom3, to convert the OBJ files back into engine-valid brushes and patches?

I've made a tracker entry to cover the oft-requested feature of built-in editors for materials, defs, xds, etc, in a quick and dirty way. Since such an editor would potentially be a huge task which may not ever happen, this is an easy method to achieve nearly the same functionality:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2011

• 2 weeks later...

AI creation into map.

It's becoming evident that mappers will generally just accept default voices. They did not have to do this in Thief because the editor varied the voices in each location automatically. So if you created 3 guards in one area then somehow when you created guard 2 it tested any existing guards nearby and gave the new one a different voice. Compare this with TDM where the mapper has to 1. be aware of the problem, and 2, open his browser, navigate and search through the wiki to find what voices are available, copy and paste etc. So, on *every* AI he creates. he needs to be aware of this. Coupled with skin and head selection this is not easy at the moment and where novice mappers don't even realize that bricks have to be lined up on a wall we can foresee a lot of maps full of voices echoing each other.

I don't know of any quick fix answer. Maybe all new voice sets when created could be added to a def list - a kind of look up table. Perhaps the editor, whenever a new AI is being created, could automatically open a dialog, a kind of wizard, listing heads, skins, and voices perhaps in drop down lists with the defaults selected. The mapper then at least is aware. One can see from this perhaps the ultimate would be something like the Oblivion character maker (but not so advanced of course.) The mapper attempts to create an AI and a dialog opens showing drop down lists on the left of heads, skins, voices, attachments while on the right is the image displayed with the voice talking.

I guess the above is a kind of merger of the skin, head, etc. dialogs but perhaps a more viable way might be just to call those on AI creation as a wizard sequence. So:

Mapper selects say a proguard

Matching skin dialog comes up automatically with default shown. Select & click OK.

Matching heads dialog ditto...

Matching voices dialog ditto...