The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

This doesn't work for me. All it does is select and deselect the same brush repeatedly.

What happen to this functionality? Used to be you could Shift+left click and continuing to click cycled through different brushes/FS or whatever was under the cursor? Changed in v1.8.0?

Ah, that works. Thanks! Funny that I thought I had tried all the combinations... :blink:

(...) CTRL+ALT+mouse strafes smoothly

(...)

EDIT: and smooth/small zoom is CTRL+SHIFT+mouse.

Yea, I know about those. And it's great, but I use them more for fine tuning. It kinda bothers me that I lose the mouse aiming while pressing them. I don't really like them to be working all over the place on the inside of a small house for example. That's where I lower the camera movement to about 10 or 20. Then I just fly confortably. (you may have started to notice that I'm quite picky about controls :) I really am, and I can't help it - for years that I wished that I could be one to establish some widely accepted conventions - or that some did, at least)

And I can bet that in a year from now I'll still want to be nagging people about that selection method. ;)

Edited by Skaruts

My FMs: By The Cookbook

I don't know if it's been asked yet, even if I asked in the Editor's Guild, but I find the FOV to be way too narrow in the camera view and this makes me very uncomfortable after a while. Would it be possible to have an option to increase it? I know some editors do it.

• 1 month later...

1. I wish, that more model-formats are supported. I work with Blender. The only format is asf. But for beginners like me it is a laborious procedure to connect a shader / texture.

2. The camera-symbol is not intuitive. It is almost impossible, to see in the 2-d-windows, where the camera is looking.

I'll just post this, though I don't know if it's even possible to fix. Right now the larger a map gets in DR the longer it takes for lights to be moved around. On a small map, when you select a light it will highlight and then move around properly when you move the mouse about. As the map gets larger, an element of lag is introduced to this. It will take a few milliseconds after selecting the light before it highlights, and as you move it around the movements gets jerky and only follow the mouse about after a slight delay. This lag/delay gets worse and worse the larger a map gets (especially if you add a lot of lights). In the last stages of building Requiem it got so bad that I literally couldn't move lights around anymore using the mouse and had to manually change origin spawnargs if I wanted to move a light. It was only lights that had this issue, no other entities.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

@John: could you unpack suggestion #1 a bit? I don't know any modeling software. Do you mean you want to be able to bring asf models into DR, or that you need DR to export asfs? NB there are plenty of people using blender for TDM somehow. Search for threads with blender in the title if you haven't already, or ask in one the recent threads.

@Moonbo: that sounds like it should be fixable doesn't it? If you're not in true lighting mode in DR, then you're just moving an entity around. It sounds like DR might be doing a big calculation at every grid unit, one that perhaps could be left to the end of the move. I've just got DR running ok in my debugger so I'll try to work out what it's doing as a training exercise :-)

@John: could you unpack suggestion #1 a bit? I don't know any modeling software. Do you mean you want to be able to bring asf models into DR, or that you need DR to export asfs? NB there are plenty of people using blender for TDM somehow. Search for threads with blender in the title if you haven't already, or ask in one the recent threads.

Yes, i want to create things in Blender and import it in DR. But the only format is asf. The problem is to connect an texture / shader to this imported model. I found the solution in the net: One has to edit the asf-file.

It would be better, to make this procedere easier. As example: dae-import.

This doesn't work. The imported model has no texture. And it seems impossible, to connect any shader/texture to it in DR.

That means two things or you didn't made a idtech 4 material file with the extension .mtr for the textures on your model, DarkMod and DarkEditor require that, you can use a single .mtr for all your textures or you can make one for any single texture you use. Or the material path on the .ase file is wrong so darkradiant can't find the textures, you can change the path's easily by opening the .ase with notepad or any other text editor.

Example simple material .mtr

textures/objects/wood_street_lamp

{

wood

noSelfShadow

unsmoothedTangents

qer_editorimage textures/objects/wood_street_lamp_ed.jpg

diffusemap textures/objects/wood_street_lamp.tga

bumpmap textures/objects/wood_street_lamp_local.tga

Specularmap textures/objects/wood_street_lamp_s.tga

}

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks for this tips. I will work through the tutorials.

But nevertheless ;-) This is a DR-Wishlist-Thread. So my wish is, that importing Models (from Blender etc.) doesn't need

editing and creating additional files. That there is a "automatic" that enables the User to give textures from the mediabrowser directly to the imported model.

1. Import Model (ase as example)

2. Call mediabrowser

3. Choose texture and apply it on the model

That would be cool but unfortunately that is not how things work on game engines based on material shaders, idtech 4, just like source, Cryengine, Unreal Engine, Unity3D etc, use shader based materials, this means you write a file that describes the surface properties of objects, that goes from indicating not only the surface textures, like diffuse maps, normal maps, specular maps, but also what sound the surface emits, if it is a reflective or refractive surface, is it transparent, does the texture animate, etc, so you can't just drag and drop a texture to a model and it will have all the features that you want automagically.

Having said that a more artist oriented material editor (with drag and drop features) would be something that would benefit this engine, i know the doom 3 version of the engine has one but is very artist unfriendly (no drag and drop) very complicated to use and it does not create .mtr files from scratch it only edit's exist ones.

Of course if you don't want to make a simple .mrt maker but a full blown material editor with preview window and all, then this would require a more profound integration of the Darkradiant editor to the game engine render so we could see the material just like it would look ingame, but i'm well aware that this is wishful thinking with the coding manpower you guys seem to have now.

• 4 months later...

Sounds interesting, actually. Usually files are organised by their type in folders etc

Eg wall, floor, model textures

so a drag and drop would need to

1.) ask where to put the file

2.) search the dragged source directory for the other textures spec, normal diffuse depending which is dragged if they are available, if not ask where they are.

3.) generate a basic *.mtr file and provide a dropdown menu of additional properties you can add to the material (the most common ones being most obvious)

I'm quite a noob when it comes to C++ but I could have a look it and see if it's doable if there's interest?

Help refine this idea if you're interested in having it happen

EDIT

Half-life 2 had a similar tool done in visual basic (ewww) but provides quite a good design template for what you're asking for

ensemble_grand-495x375.jpg

Here:

http://blog.open-design.be/2009/01/03/textured-a-material-editor-for-half-life-2-and-its-mods-source-engine-games/

Edited by own3r

• 2 weeks later...

But does the engine "understand" OBJ? Vanilla Doom 3 doesn't afaik.

No, I just got the impression that the question was about DarkRadiant, not Doom3 or TDM. At least in the past DR has been used for other projects as well (which support PNG images and md3 models, or whatever).

It was about DR for TDM. Right now I have a 1 month trial in lightwave so I can simply convert the obj to lwo. Wouldn't it make sense if it simply understood the obj? After all the obj is the standard format used for model files, everything exports to obj everything can import obj. Using maya here and I've been looking around for months and I see no option for either lwo or ase import/export that does work after all. Everything I tried looses info in the conversion. And I haven't yet started talking about md5meshes :P

This is not me whining around, I just simply tried to explain why someone who makes models and doesn't use lightwave or blender (not 100% sure but I believe max tools don't work either because...autodesk) has to rely on other people in this case. After my lightwave trial is over I'll have to find someone to send him the obj's so he can convert them to lwo so I can test them.

I have no idea tho' how easy or hard this is to implement so if you people say no, then I guess I'll start creating mails for an infinite ammount of lightwave trials :P

PS. Also PNG images are quite usefull unless you have another way to have transparency in your textures. But I believe you do.

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace

I tried the ones from the first and third links but they don't work on 2014 version. Never seen the seccond link tho. Anyways it was just a suggestion. I can create a new mail every month to keep getting free LW trials :D

Sometimes I want to scream

So long that life escapes

And then I'd shut my eyes

I'd be the angel of disgrace