The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

My wish is a pretty minor one - something happened between 1.8.0 and 1.8.1 that made camera view work much slower. Is there a possibility this could be fixed?

It's possible that this has already been adressed (https://github.com/c...1c922d5d29637e1), but it's a change that is in the post-2.0 branch at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Shadow maps solve that problem easily, that is why shadow volumes (not to talk about supporting alpha surfaces) are not used anymore on modern engines.

the shadow volume code could be useful for other things besides shadows calculations:

like for NPC vision, it's the perfect way to calculate the vision from someone's point of view and assert whatever he sees or doesn't.

Biel Bestué de Luna - Github

• 1 month later...

DarkRadiant already has a lot of awesome features, and it's hard to imagine what could be even further improved from this perspective. Something might come to mind as I get even more familiar with it.

My biggest wish would instead be better Linux support: I'm getting tons of bugs after I managed to compile it on my openSUSE 13.2 machine, which I reported around this forum section. And most of all release versions for Linux please, as the Sourceforge page offers only the Windows software. That forces us Linux users to compile DR on our own... which usually works out, but can get problematic and buggy quickly.

And most of all release versions for Linux please, as the Sourceforge page offers only the Windows software. That forces us Linux users to compile DR on our own... which usually works out, but can get problematic and buggy quickly.

We (or more precisely, I) do publish builds for Ubuntu into the DarkRadiant Launchpad PPA, however we don't have the resources or expertise to create native packages for every Linux flavour imaginable. If someone familiar with Red Hat or SUSE were to produce packages for their respective distributions we would quite happily publish them (with a firm "unofficial, use at your own risk" warning).

We (or more precisely, I) do publish builds for Ubuntu into the DarkRadiant Launchpad PPA, however we don't have the resources or expertise to create native packages for every Linux flavour imaginable. If someone familiar with Red Hat or SUSE were to produce packages for their respective distributions we would quite happily publish them (with a firm "unofficial, use at your own risk" warning).

Yeah... one annoying thing about Linux is that some programs have to put up versions for various distributions specifically, rather than just THE Linux version. I heard this is due to varying library paths, not sure if there are other reasons involved. Still, there are programs which work around this, and simply offer a tar.gz package which any Linux user just unpacks and runs the binary from. Is this not possible for DarkRadiant too?

I heard this is due to varying library paths, not sure if there are other reasons involved. Still, there are programs which work around this, and simply offer a tar.gz package which any Linux user just unpacks and runs the binary from. Is this not possible for DarkRadiant too?

Yes, library paths is one major issue, plus there can be issues around library and compiler versions too.

A self-contained static build that you can just run from an unpacked .tar.gz ought to be possible in theory though (I know Blender uses this approach for example). It would require some changes to the build process and the way we look for resources, e.g. we could no longer have a compiled-in /usr/share/darkradiant directory but would need to examine the executable location and search the same directory. I can't promise it will happen any time soon but is something we could look into in future.

• 1 month later...

The Conversation Editor can be seriously improved by allowing the mapper to access both sound shaders and animations whilst inside the editor. Having to do this for every, single animation or shader quickly becomes an exercise in patience - especially for detailed scenes.

As it stands, one has to close the Conversation Editor down, manually track down either of the above elements, copy the shader/animation name, and only then return to the Conversation Editor to place the element in its correct place.

I really hope this can be fixed because I want to add unique dialogue to my WIP that plays alongside specific animations; as it stands, the current set-up is unfortunately frustrating and time consuming - when it could be an integrated and smooth experience that enables complex scenes to be quickly constructed and edited.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, greebo. I have attached an image below, which I hope conveys what my above post was suggesting.

The idea is that once you click either the "choose sound shader" or the "choose animation" button, you will be taken to the soundshader library or to the MD5 Animation Viewer - all without having to exit the Conversation Editor.

TDMConversationEditorCurrentvsProposed_z

I know what you mean, and it's possible - it just requires some work. As quick workaround I wanted to suggest to start a second DarkRadiant process, which you can use for browsing the sound shaders and copying the shader names between the two DarkRadiant sessions.

• 3 months later...

Well, since this is a wishlist... I wish we could play videos during missions, just like we can play videos in briefings and de-breifings...!

I know there are already 3D engine cutscenes, but I'm more of a 2D animator, so allowing us to play in-game videos would be really great. I'd love to play old fashionned 2D cutscenes to illustrate important events, without having to end the mission every time.

Do you think this would be possible in the future?

• 4 weeks later...

I would like something very simple even I could program it in and that is, auto use mode for items so that when you press an item's hotkey it automatically uses it instead of just selecting it. I'll work on learning how to do it this afternoon then make a video about it. It should be very simple but it's hard learning where the code is that I need to find , so far I've found this function OnInventorySelectionChanged(const CInventoryItemPtr&) now I need to figure out how to use the item from the CInventoryItemPtr. If any smart people could help me I would I'd really appreciate it.

UPDATE: I figured it out, I just have to do something like this

void idPlayer::OnInventorySelectionChanged(const CInventoryItemPtr& prevItem)
{
   const CInventoryItemPtr& curItem = cursor->GetCurrentItem(); 
   if (curItem != NULL && prevItem != curItem)
       {
         idEntity* curItemEnt = curItem->GetItemEntity();
        if(globalVars->autoUse) // if auto use is on
         {
          curItemEnt->Activate(this);

}
        }
}

obviously there's a bit more to it like making a new setting variable (I still don't know what object you guys store the settings variables in), and I won't format it like shite like that. Edited by c0mputer-fr0d

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I'm just phantasizing out loud here, I don't think these are easy things to do. Just some wishful thinking from my side.

1) Add a little green "run" button in the menu. When hit, it launches TDM in window mode and automatically testmaps the current map. Just for convenience reasons.

2) Create an "Easy start" option when creating a new map, that asks how many instances of each item the player should be equipped with at the start, what the ambient light should be. Stuff like that.

3) Add an option for subtractive level editing. Okay, this is really impossible I guess... :(

Edited by Nico A.

Well, since this is a wishlist... I wish we could play videos during missions, just like we can play videos in briefings and de-breifings...!

I know there are already 3D engine cutscenes, but I'm more of a 2D animator, so allowing us to play in-game videos would be really great. I'd love to play old fashionned 2D cutscenes to illustrate important events, without having to end the mission every time.

Do you think this would be possible in the future?

Like Bikerdude said this is already possible with roq videos, and you can even use them has a normal texture, for example i used a roq of a caustics animation to simulate water caustics projections on walls in a test map of mine, btw you never played Doom3? It is filled with in-game videos (but most are just world GUI's).

Exemple material

video/caustics
{
	nonsolid	
	noimpact	
	nodamage	
	noShadows	
	noSelfShadow
	translucent
	qer_editorimage	textures/editor/video.tga
	{
		name	"Stage 1"
		blend	add
		videomap	loop video/caustics.roq
	}
} 

Like Bikerdude said this is already possible with roq videos, and you can even use them has a normal texture, for example i used a roq of a caustics animation to simulate water caustics projections on walls in a test map of mine, btw you never played Doom3? It is filled with in-game videos (but most are just world GUI's).

Exemple material

video/caustics
{
	nonsolid	
	noimpact	
	nodamage	
	noShadows	
	noSelfShadow
	translucent
	qer_editorimage	textures/editor/video.tga
	{
		name	"Stage 1"
		blend	add
		videomap	loop video/caustics.roq
	}
} 

Very interesting. Is this a memory consuming thing or could it be used for multiple animated textures? I really could picture some lit windows with a sublte animation to simulate the light of a faltering candle just behind them. Working only with powers of 2 would be annoying though.

Very interesting. Is this a memory consuming thing or could it be used for multiple animated textures? I really could picture some lit windows with a sublte animation to simulate the light of a faltering candle just behind them. Working only with powers of 2 would be annoying though.

For multiple images (animation frames) you can use this two options.

textures/anim_caustics
{
	qer_editorimage textures\sfx\caustics_ed.jpg
	noShadows
	nonsolid
	//noimpact
	//twoSided
	translucent

{
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 0 )
      blend    add
      map textures\sfx\CausticsRender_001.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 1 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_002.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 2 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_003.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 3 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_004.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 4 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_005.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 5 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_006.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 6 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_007.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 7 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_008.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 8 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_009.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 9 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_010.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 10 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_011.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 11 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_012.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 12 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_013.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 13 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_014.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 14 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_015.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 15 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_016.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 16 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_017.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 17 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_018.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 18 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_019.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 19 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_020.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 20 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_021.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 21 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_022.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 22 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_023.tga

}
   {
      if ( ( time * 24 ) % 23 == 23 )
      blend    add
      map  textures\sfx\CausticsRender_023.tga

}
}

Or more simple using a image strip

textures/particles/caustics
{
   qer_editorimage textures/particles/causticsstrip_ed.jpg
   noSelfShadow
   translucent
   noShadows
   twosided
   //deform tube
   {
      blend add
      map textures/particles/caustics.tga
      scale 1 / 24 , 1
      scroll table32[ time * .2	] , 0
	  rgb 0.1
      //clamp
   }
}

About memory consumption i don't really think using .roq's is that heavy as they tend to be very low in size and very compressed. Using this two options above tho, can be heavy, depending of course on the image's resolution, they make better image quality compared to .roq but for effects like caustics that is not that important imo.

Btw GPU's can only render power of 2 imagens, when you give it a non power of two it automatically converts them for you on the background (wasting precious cycles) so is better and more efficient to work with power of 2 imagens only period. Some engines don't even let you use non power of 2 images.

And you can have any kind of image size with power of 2

1024x1024

512x1024

128x1024

64x1024

etc

And you can mix match then at will.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if steps have been taken to implement this 'new' feature into DR/TDM, but I was wondering if any progress has been made on enabling AIs to "pivot" vertically in addition to forwards/backwards and left/right when sitting down?

I raised this idea when I discovered that the custom desks that I had built had the AI's hands clipping into the top because the AI was sitting too low in the chair.

Having the ability to raise/lower the AI's sitting position height would a great asset - at least in my opinion. ;-)

Edited by Dunedain19

Hey Dunedain,

One workaround for this is to put some monster clip onto the floor under the chair. The AI will still walk around at ground-level but when it comes time to sleep/sit they will be adjusted up by the height of the clip.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Hey Moonbo,

I tried doing this method to no avail, so while it may work in some instances - it just wasn't working for me.

At present, I'm busy building primary architecture in my WIP, so fiddling around with AI is something that isn't going to happen right now. It's a laborious process going backwards and forwards between making micro adjustments, dmapping and confirming what the editor changes did. There was simply no way of knowing in advance what would happen - I had some really bizarre results, and eventually gave up.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Getting AI to sit properlt was one of the most tedious parts in my fms. It might help speed up the process if you copy paste the small part of the map with the AI to a different file, making the dmapping take less time.

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com