The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I'm not sure whether there is such an option in DR (please let me know otherwise ;) ), but it would be great to have an ability to select all instances of given model, and all instances of a model with particular skin. This is very useful when you have 30 or 40 clones of a model in your map, and you have to delete them all (e.g. because you want to import a new version, and you changed pivot placement).

Edited by Judith

There is an option to replace shaders at least. You'll find it in the textures tab or under map->find and replace textures.

Oh, and there is this: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/10514-fixup-functionality-in-darkradiant/?p=206665

fixup.txt

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Yup, that works for textures. But the idea is not to replace them, but to select all the instances of a static mesh in a map. Some editors also allow selecting all copies of a mesh only in a given zone, which is useful as well.

Edited by Judith

There's a script available in the menu, which is called "Select all Models of same Type" or something like this. In case this is not exactly what you need, the code for the script is located in DR's install/scripts/commands folder, it's a very small script.

For items in general, you can try the "Shift-A" shortcut which does a variety of things depending on what you have selected:

When a face is highlighted (in component mode), it will select all faces in the map carrying the same shader.

When entities are selected, it will select all entities with the same classnames.

When no entities are selected, it will select all elements in the map matching the texture highlighted in the Texture Browser.

Edited by greebo

Get yourself a like button, dude ^_^

There's a script available in the menu, which is called "Select all Models of same Type" or something like this. In case this is not exactly what you need, the code for the script is located in DR's install/scripts/commands folder, it's a very small script.

For entities in general, you can try the "Shift-A" shortcut which does a variety of things depending on what you have selected:

When a face is highlighted (in component mode), it will select all faces in the map carrying the same shader.

When entities are selected, it will select all entities with the same classnames.

When no entities are selected, it will select all elements in the map matching the texture highlighted in the Texture Browser.

Where's the like button when you really need it :) Thanks a lot, that will do. You can also assign whatever shortcut you like to that: in Keyboard shortcuts menu look for SelectAllModelsOfType command.

Where's the like button when you really need it :)

It commited suicide after the it was pressed a 100,000 times :D

• Like 1

A couple nice-to-haves I came across using the particle editor.

Would be great to have a XY ground plane in the particle viewer. Ideally a plane you can pop a texture or a simple grid plane. I know its not a game changer request, but I get pretty disoriented in the particle view.

Also as a pie in the sky bonus, a time slider in the viewer would be really helpful. Something that where you can scrub back and forth to see the FX.

A grid in general would be helpful as it is often hard to judge on the size of a particle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One request:

Could the "Rank" spawnarg be added to the AI tab, possibly nearby "Team"? I suspect most mappers are unaware of it.

• 1 month later...

When zooming in he orthogonal window, how about zooming centered on mouse position instead of window center? I constantly have to keep tweaking position by dragging this way or that just to get to the actual spot where I want to "see" closer.

• 1 month later...

Two things that came to my mind while working with Choose sound menu:

a) Menu always starts with silence.ogg selected, so you have to select the proper sound file every time you want to listen to it — it would be better to have the file selected in the first place (saves a lot of time in the long run).

B) It would be awesome to have actual track time slider, so you can go through longer tracks more efficiently.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Today while working on a map i realized this was something DR could some day provide, the ability to create cables/ ropes in the editor, no need for them to be dynamic, just something like the func_beam, connect two points and it automatically creates a shape between the two points but instead of creating a straight line between two points, you add the ability to give it more points and make it bend.

Another desire somewhat connected with the one above, DR already supports splines, unfortunately and as far has i know, the only thing you can currently do with splines is attach cameras to them for cinematics, would love to have a way to extrude a shape along a spline or create a chain of quads along the spline, also to make cables or ropes with complex curves. A man can dream...

Or you just create a brush from point A to point B with the thickness you would like, select Patch -> Create Cylinder to have a round connection between the two points, texture it with whatever texture you want (rope, cable , etc) and then use the vertex point editor (hit "V" while the patch is selected) to pull all the green vertex points in the middle downwards. Voilá, you have a slightly hanging rope between two points. Under "More Cylinders" you can find options with more vertex points, which allows you to create more complex bends in the cylinder. In general, you can look at the Patches Wiki page on how to make and deform patches.

• Like 1

... Or a man can get a modeling program which features all those things ;)

I already have a modeling program that does all those things, is called Modo, but doing it on DR would be better, for that i would need to export the peace of the level i need from DR into Modo, make my cable there export it has a static mesh and import it into DR, if i need ropes or cables of various lengths that quickly becomes a pita. Doing it in DR is certainly not essencial but would make level design easier. No wonder Valve implemented a rope/cable system into Hammer.

Or you just create a brush from point A to point B with the thickness you would like, select Patch -> Create Cylinder to have a round connection between the two points, texture it with whatever texture you want (rope, cable , etc) and then use the vertex point editor (hit "V" while the patch is selected) to pull all the green vertex points in the middle downwards. Voilá, you have a slightly hanging rope between two points. Under "More Cylinders" you can find options with more vertex points, which allows you to create more complex bends in the cylinder. In general, you can look at the Patches Wiki page on how to make and deform patches.

Yes that is a much better solution and was something i was already thinking about, not ideal for complex cables or ropes but is sufficient for what i'm trying to do.

• Like 1

IMO you just need to use either DR's measuring tool or export two boxes that would represent both ends of a cable. Modeling in DR is inefficient, and since you're using Modo, which is great, you have superior level of control over the way it's done. Also, if the cables you want to make are relatively thin, making them with cylinders is an overkill.

The problem with trying to make DR do everything is that it wouldn't do anything particularly well. Trying to replicate all of the core modelling features of a tool like Blender would take years of work, require massive changes to the application structure, and would still never be as powerful or usable as Blender itself. And then someone would want to be able to do texture painting in DR too, and it would then have to include all of the features of GIMP as well.

The other problem is that the MAP file doesn't have enough flexibility to support full vertex modelling like a ASE or LWO file can. You have clumsy, unsmoothed brushes, and very limited Bezier patches to play with, and that's it. To include full modelling functionality you would need to do something like export the model to an autogenerated ASE file and then load it back in via a func_static. It would be a horrible hack.

• Like 2

Not to mention the fact that each feature added to DR increases its complexity, and therefore the learning curve for each DR newcomer.

Also, if the cables you want to make are relatively thin, making them with cylinders is an overkill.

Indeed, for very thin/small stuff one normally uses decals. We actually already have such things for ropes (some of them with clothes hanging on them), detailed iron girders and similar stuff. You might want to take a look at how they are done if your cables are going to be sufficiently small.

Indeed, for very thin/small stuff one normally uses decals.

For distant art, sure. But for something placed nearby the player you'd be better off with 3d cables. But instead of cylinder, you can use 4 sides (square/rectangle profile), just give them one smoothing group. You'll save a ton of polygons, and nobody will see the difference. Old modeling trick.