The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

• 2 weeks later...

Feature request: expand favourites trees

I'm presuming that the benefit of the favourites feature in DR is to save time and clicks by presenting them in a separate view.  However whenever you click the 'show favourites' radio button, the tree view is always collapsed, meaning you have to search/expand/click anyways.  And that's if you can remember what is in your favourites.

Suggest that the favourites trees be expanded by default (or alternatively, an 'expand all' option).  it would be much easier to see at a quick glance what's in there, and there would be less clicks involved.  I don't know how having hundreds of favourites would affect it - but I'm guessing most people have a couple dozen of each type at most?

I kind of realised I don't use the favourites much, and this is one of the reasons why.

44 minutes ago, SeriousToni said:

There's a favourite feature? 🤔

Yeah for entities, models and textures. If you right-click them there is an 'add to favourites' option.  Then the next time you go to use them, you can click 'show favourites' instead of 'show all' in the chooser window, or use them from the Favourites tab in the properties window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the development that’s gone into DR! Not sure how feasible it is but one thing I have found a little finicky is rotating meshes to a specific orientation when you need to do it across multiple axis using the the rotate tool.

Not sure if this is the correct way to explain it but would it be possible to allow the rotate tool to toggle between rotating an object relative to the world axes and relative to the object itself?

• Like 1

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

2 hours ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

Thanks for all the development that’s gone into DR! Not sure how feasible it is but one thing I have found a little finicky is rotating meshes to a specific orientation when you need to do it across multiple axis using the the rotate tool.

Not sure if this is the correct way to explain it but would it be possible to allow the rotate tool to toggle between rotating an object relative to the world axes and relative to the object itself?

Couldn't you select both objects and rotate them just together? I'm not sure I did understand though. Maybe Greebo did :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

2 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

Couldn't you select both objects and rotate them just together? I'm not sure I did understand though. Maybe Greebo did :)

I am just talking about rotating a single object. Say you want to rotate an object like a chair 45 degrees so it faces into a room from a corner. No problem - switch to the rotation mode grab the x axis and rotate the chair. Say you then decide the chair should lean straight back into the corner against the wall.

If you hadn’t already rotated the chair you’d just grab the z or y axis and lean it backwards - but since you already have rotated it these operations will be done relative to the world axis not the orientation of the chair and it becomes quite fiddly.

I have little experience in it and it’s been many years, but I remember in the unity scene builder the rotation tool can be changed between what I think was called “world space” and “local space” to handle this exact type of object manipulation.

Edited by Wellingtoncrab
Correct axis

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

• 3 weeks later...

The clipper tool supports using caulk (or some other shader) to apply to clipped surfaces.  Is it possible to do the same for CSG subtract?  It just seems to use the shader of the object doing the clipping (which I pretty much never want and always have to change it after), and I can't find a setting to change it.

Even better would be for the clipped surfaces to retain their material, because that's usually what I want to happen.  Although if the target brush has more than one I'm not sure how that would be worked out.

I suppose the workaround is to make sure the object doing the clipping has the shader you want applied to the clipped surfaces, but then you have to remember that 🙂

• Like 1

There are two things I'd like to add here please. First is the return of two features that seem to have been removed from the Surface Inspector in recent DR updates:

1. Could you bring back the Natural button? It was used to reset a surface to its default texture mapping, in case you fit an image then changed it back to a tiling texture and want to revert to the default mapping. Now you seemingly need to select each face and manually clear any offset / rotation then set the size back to 0.25.
  2. When selecting multiple faces, most fields (Shift, Rotation, Scale) become grayed out. Old behavior allowed you to input a value which would be overridden on all selected faces. This was very useful as you could scale multiple faces at once regardless of texture. Is there a reason why this is no longer allowed?

There's another little change I'd really love: When you right-click the 3D camera view to grab it and go in mouselook, can we have an option to make the WASD keys move the view? Normally those letters do other things which is fine, but while the camera is grabbed it would be great if they were overridden to act as the arrows. We're used to relying on them for walking and it's annoying to put your left hand on the arrows at the bottom-right of the keyboard to move the view.

3 minutes ago, MirceaKitsune said:

There are two things I'd like to add here please. First is the return of two features that seem to have been removed from the Surface Inspector in recent DR updates:

1. Could you bring back the Natural button? It was used to reset a surface to its default texture mapping, in case you fit an image then changed it back to a tiling texture and want to revert to the default mapping. Now you seemingly need to select each face and manually clear any offset / rotation then set the size back to 0.25.
  2. When selecting multiple faces, most fields (Shift, Rotation, Scale) become grayed out. Old behavior allowed you to input a value which would be overridden on all selected faces. This was very useful as you could scale multiple faces at once regardless of texture. Is there a reason why this is no longer allowed?

There's another little change I'd really love: When you right-click the 3D camera view to grab it and go in mouselook, can we have an option to make the WASD keys move the view? Normally those letters do other things which is fine, but while the camera is grabbed it would be great if they were overridden to act as the arrows. We're used to relying on them for walking and it's annoying to put your left hand on the arrows at the bottom-right of the keyboard to move the view.

The 'Natural' button is there for me (on 3.7.0).  You sure it's missing?

You can map camera movements to WASD.  Look for the 'CameraMove' and 'CameraStrafe' key bindings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frost_Salamander said:

The 'Natural' button is there for me (on 3.7.0).  You sure it's missing?

You can map camera movements to WASD.  Look for the 'CameraMove' and 'CameraStrafe' key bindings.

I'll look into those bindings a bit later, thanks! I wanted to keep them default but I wish to change view switching from Control + Tab to just Tab anyway so I'll look into what else to modify.

And yeah I'm not seeing it. Could be the new interface that was just added? Actually now that I look closely I can see a a Flip: Label below Align: but no buttons for it! I tried scrolling with the mouse wheel and nothing happens so I assumed there's just nothing there, but it's likely an interface bug and no scrollbar being added to the Surface Inspector when docked.

Screenshot_20221126_183557.png.53ea1ffc415d1274e20ad6dd5acd9e05.png

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

I'll look into those bindings a bit later, thanks! I wanted to keep them default but I wish to change view switching from Control + Tab to just Tab anyway so I'll look into what else to modify.

And yeah I'm not seeing it. Could be the new interface that was just added? Actually now that I look closely I can see a a Flip: Label below Align: but no buttons for it! I tried scrolling with the mouse wheel and nothing happens so I assumed there's just nothing there, but it's likely an interface bug and no scrollbar being added to the Surface Inspector when docked.

Screenshot_20221126_183557.png.53ea1ffc415d1274e20ad6dd5acd9e05.png

Maybe you need to drag the the bottom of the widget down a bit more?  Mine looks like this:

image.thumb.png.0e3951d400f38601228c5392595e6c32.png

42 minutes ago, Frost_Salamander said:

Maybe you need to drag the the bottom of the widget down a bit more?  Mine looks like this:

image.thumb.png.0e3951d400f38601228c5392595e6c32.png

Yes, that solves it. I get a slightly smaller 3D viewport but it's not that bad. Hope this can be solved with a scrollbar like other menus. It's easier to have such windows pinned to the new Properties viewport so I prefer that now.

Customized the keybinds a bit and got the camera working with WASD, much better! Please bring back the ability to set shift / rotation / scale on an entire brush or multiple selected faces if possible though.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a small and simple feature I thought to suggest: In the Entity menu (n key by default), would it make sense to have a button to export the selected entity to a custom def? This would make it easier to create a common customized ent on your map, without needing to manually do so in a text editor.

Practical example: You want to have a custom city watch used multiple times. First you add an atdm:ai_citywatch to the map. Then set your custom stuff like skin, def_head, def_vocal_set. There would be a button labeled Export or similar, which when clicked prompts you for a file name and custom entity name. This will create or override the entity atdm:my_citywatch in file def/my_file.def which starts with "inherit atdm:ai_citywatch" followed by your custom spawnargs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little thing I'd like to see changed: When renaming a readable definition in the Readable Editor, a copy of the old definition is created instead of moving the old one. This leads to clutter that needs to be fixed manually in a text editor if the mapper wants such duplication removed. It would be appreciated if a way to properly rename readable paths was supported. Here's what I mean:

1. Add and select a readable entity on the map, such as atdm:readable_immobile_paper01.
  2. Open the Readable Editor and type something, then under XData Name save it under an unique name like readables/myfm/note_foo.
  3. Click the Save and Close button to store any changes.
  4. Open the Readable Editor again and under XData Name rename your entry to something else like readables/myfm/note_bar.
  5. Save and Close once more.

Issue: If you open darkmod/fms/myfm/xdata/myfm.xd you will find that both readables/myfm/note_foo and readables/myfm/note_bar exist and duplicate the same text body, instead of the first being renamed into the second.

A problem I can see is that a readable definition might be used by multiple entities on the map, so when renaming we must ensure every entity with the same xdata_contents is changed to point to the new path. Just in case a prompt might be desired if a rename of the XData path is detected, asking whether you want to copy or move the definition and warn that if any other maps use it they'll need to be pointed to the new name manually.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 1 month later...

A quick one I can probably add to this list: Could and should we have a script to detect intersecting brushes? I always want to go for a clean style of mapping, but as you add to a structure you often need to cut / merge brushes as you add more detail: If you aren't careful you can end up either with unwanted holes or walls cutting through each other... while the former isn't possible to automatically detect, the later should technically be.

Also useful would be a script to detect brushes that can be merged, if they form a convex shape and the textures on parallel faces are identical: I always look for those as well, it's rarer for any to get lost but there are sometimes cases.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

I too worked in the clean style as you describe it. However I'm not sure if all prefabs match this too that are made of brushes. I guess since overlapping brushes are not generating errors this is a nice to have feature and less a mandatory thing :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

6 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

I too worked in the clean style as you describe it. However I'm not sure if all prefabs match this too that are made of brushes. I guess since overlapping brushes are not generating errors this is a nice to have feature and less a mandatory thing :D

Some prefabs need correcting after adding them to your map: I usually Make Natural the textures on brushes where possible or snap stuff to at least a grid unit of 1 with lower just when strictly necessary. Other than that they seem to be in proper shape: Will likely make more of my own over time which will also be designed with cleanness in mind.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

FEATURE REQUESTS:

1. Array tool - to duplicate selected model or entity or brush via UI on XYZ with spacing parameters (kinda like Blender's array modifier). 

2. One-click surface/material copy to either face or entire brush. Currently I have to setup one face by using Surface dialog and then copy/paste it (using hotkeys combo) to desired faces (for which I still have to deselect selected face and then select new one). Very very tedious process. It would be a lot smoother of copied surface parms (material, tiling, etc.) could be applied in one click in 3D view.

3. Ability to set tiling on the entire brush numerically. Currently numerical entry fields are grayed out in the Surface UI when whole brush is selected :(

Thanks beforehand

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, 7318 said:

could it be possible to set the visportals, trigger, nodraw, and shadow textures transparent in the 3D view like the sky?

What do you mean by 'transparent'?  You mean filter them out?  If so you can already do that from the 'Filter' menu item at the top of the screen.

Speaking of common materials, I'd say it's time they got desaturated quite a bit. Maybe in early 2000s using oversaturated primary colors was ok, but these days looking at them for an hour or two makes you feel like something pierced through your skull. I got mine desaturated quite heavily:

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.9b5c8d849cfd1e54611d50a2a3827cf1.jpg

• Like 1