The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I dont know if it was tells about it earlier but i wanna back to this topic.

Two things worry me.

Water and overlay texture (swiming) - I watched different games and i think is better to use fog under water than a overlay texture. Cound somewone try it?

We have already tried this, a long time ago, and the overlay works and looks much nicer.

Carrying chest - I beg! Bring back the normal movment of kept chests and reduce only the speed of walking with. Please.

I'm not sure I understand.

That delay of movement when you carry on chest or other heavy stuff. I am still thinking that only way is the slow down the character (when carry on that). Delay is stupid IMO.

I doubt we will be fully removing the delay system, it did take some time to code in the first place...but when the masses of objects are properly set, then we'll be able to tweak things so they don't move so slowly. Be patient.

Not sure everyone's talking about the same thing. The underwater currently has a blur and an overlay, which is a grainy looking texture that undulates. While I simply adore the blur, I am not a fan of the overlay. Mainly because it moves with the player view; if you turn, all the little undulating grains move perfectly with your view, so it ruins the illusion (if you look without changing your direction only, and don't move, it looks fine). Also, it's the same for all liquids, so that's not ideal either. But that blur... oh man. :wub:

If a fog could somehow be overlaid on the view, that could possibly work well. Aside from that, mappers are of course free to add fog underwater; it works decently well.

Back on the encumbered movement topic, I still don't know where I stand. I think the inertial thingy we do now is good, if maybe a bit strong. I also like the idea of encumbered movement rates. Maybe we should have both: if you're holding a crate, both your ability to turn and move, are decreased. In Thief we of course had slowed movement holding bodies, or bow drawn (maybe even sword, I can't remember at the moment).

I really don't like the object lag deal. I prefer the idea of slowing turn speed (like cutting mouse sensitivity in half, or scaled to the size/weight of the object) as well as movement, and not having any lag at all, even if it was a lot of work to code.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I'm requesting a "script editor" from DR, just simply something that opens and saves the "missionname.script".

But more importantly, what I really want is for the script file to rename to the next mission name whenever I change the mission name, so that "komag_city67.script" automatically gets saved as "komag_city68.script" when I save the mission as "komag_city68.map", so I don't have to always remember to update the script file name.

I just figure that maybe this could be combined with a simple script file text editor within DR.

You can add that to the tracker, of course. A similar request for a material file editor is also present already, but you know when to expect such a thing. :) Probably next year, or maybe my project at work gets abandoned all of a sudden and I have lots of time at work...

I already have some plans for things to do after release and DarkRadiant is only one of them (because I want to do some mapping again! :wub: ).

You can add that to the tracker, of course. A similar request for a material file editor is also present already, but you know when to expect such a thing.

In my opinion, features like script or material file editors should not be part of DarkRadiant, because (1) it is unnecessary creep; there are already very good text editors out there and attempting to duplicate small parts of their functionality in DarkRadiant for "convenience" is a waste of time, and (2) it changes the DarkRadiant workflow from "creating maps out of resources" to "creating both maps and resources", with all of the accompanying problems relating to synchronising PK4s etc.

perhaps, but the main thing to me is just the mapname.script file getting it's name updated when the map is "save as"'d to a new name. So that's all I tracked.

Not to sidetrack the issue, but just as a helper: be aware that DR recently got "Save Copy as" which would help here. You work on your map as usual, and then when you reach a revision, you Save Copy as [revision name, e.g., mymap23], and then keep working on the original name [mymap]. No need to change script name.

Ah, SUPER! I didn't notice that - I'll be using it pretty much exclusively from now on!

That pretty much completely solved my issue, so I'll try to remove it from the tracker (not sure how...)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here are two issues I did run into today, one could be a bug, tho:

* When you select more than one func_static, you cannot revert them to world_spawn. You must select only one. That was annoying because I had to select about 100 func_statics one by one, press G, press ESC, select the next one etc etc..

The reverse:

* When you select some brushes and try to create a func_static, the origin of the func_static seems to be created where the center of the "last, maximum selection area" was, not what the "current selection" is. Like when you select two brushes, and then deselect one, then create func_static, the origin will be at the center of these two brushes, not at the center of the currently selected brush.

This seems to be the reason why sometimes origins are not at the center of all the brushes in a func_static, but outside it. If you select the func_static, revert to world_spawn, then create a func_static again, the selection currently covers all the brushes (and nothing else), and thus the origin this time is at their center.

Hope I explained the issues good enough :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Ok, here are two issues I did run into today, one could be a bug, tho:

* When you select more than one func_static, you cannot revert them to world_spawn. You must select only one. That was annoying because I had to select about 100 func_statics one by one, press G, press ESC, select the next one etc etc..

Yes, that is a problem, but it's not a bug, it's just not supported. You can add that to the tracker.

* When you select some brushes and try to create a func_static, the origin of the func_static seems to be created where the center of the "last, maximum selection area" was, not what the "current selection" is. Like when you select two brushes, and then deselect one, then create func_static, the origin will be at the center of these two brushes, not at the center of the currently selected brush.

I think I see what the problem is, this should be fixable rather easily. ==> Bugtracker.

Hot key (or button) for region from xy view would be useful. I use that so much now that I almost think a 'mode' where scroll dragging the orthoview would automatically set the region for that view!

Yes, like SneaksieDave said, you can assign your custom shortcuts for almost any action in DarkRadiant.

hey thanks sneaksie. Thought I'd looked there the other week. I rarely use the rotate tool so I've set it to R. Region on, Region off. Region on. Region Off. Haha! Region on. Region Off.

I've also committed a new region material for brush regions...

post-400-1215930253_thumb.jpg

Select the level you want, clone, Alt+R...

post-400-1215930332_thumb.jpg post-400-1215930342_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is a problem, but it's not a bug, it's just not supported. You can add that to the tracker.

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=990

I think I see what the problem is, this should be fixable rather easily. ==> Bugtracker.

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=989

:)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In fact, if such "region brushes" are nodraw/nonsolid, and added to filters, they could remain in the map, then the user clicks whichever one they want, and region-set-brush. I guess that is an overlap of functionality with layers, but it's another way to do it. Oh DR, is it any wonder we :wub: you?

The do remain in the map. I've been using them for some time but using nodraw. It's just the texture that is new.

I'm not sure but it's possible they might be made entities so long as the origin is not in the void - then they can have a name. Not tried that yet.

They have a different functionality to 'layers'. These regions are volumes - actual layers - and include whatever is within them. No need to 'select' them to put something inside. Whatever is created is automatically within the region where it is created. 'Layers' are better for selecting unlayered groups such as components of a staircase or other complex structures where you don't want to make the whole thing an entity but need to reselect the lot to move or clone or retexture it etc. I use both. This is one reason I wasn't happy with that word. I just can't see a staircase or a fireplace or a table laid with a dinner service & chairs as a 'layer'.

'Layers' are better for selecting unlayered groups such as components of a staircase or other complex structures where you don't want to make the whole thing an entity but need to reselect the lot to move or clone or retexture it etc.

That is separate functionality (which I don't think is implemented at the moment); selecting multiple items as a single group is more like the 'group' functionality in a vector-art program link Inkscape. The fundamental purpose of 'layers' is to toggle visibility of a portion of the map in order to simplify the view, such as turning off all of the floors so you could work on the walls; I suppose you could consider it a "custom filter" that works based on manual selection rather than automatic matching.

Although you can substitute one for another, I think ultimately all three features (layers, groups and regions) are desirable.

I believe re-selection is planned in the future. But at the moment you can exclusively select a layer, shift left drag round it to select. I've only ever used it as a group filter. I don't think we need a third - these two, layers and regions do all that we need I think. In fact I can't really visualize another group feature that would be any different from layers unless it could select say, all class furniture but we do have filters for that. In fact I keep meaning to ask is it possible to invert filters. So a filter that hides lights could invert to show onlylights. I also have a multiple filter named !Favourites that hides most of the stuff like visportals, weather, clip textures, a ton of stuff all in one go. Problem is, I'd like to be able selectively deselect from that list sometimes. Maybe a submenu on the filter menu with an 'invert all selections' on it.

• 2 months later...