The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I'm trying to fix the warnings on my end, but remodelling the models is out of my league, so you're going to have to fix the stairs model on your end:

"WARNING:ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model 'models/darkmod/architecture/stairs/set01_stairs.lwo' has 17/8108 nontriangular polygons. Make sure you triplet it down"

Edit

Also there's this model, which is probably a modelling issue as well:

"WARNING:ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model 'models/darkmod/misc/clipmodels/pickaxe_cm.lwo' has bad or missing uv data"

I still have hopes for script-hotfixing the following warnings:

"WARNING:Couldn't load image: tdm_tongue
[map entity: atdm_ai_townsfolk_female_1]
[decl: atdm:ai_head_female02_base_brunette in def/tdm_ai_heads_springheel.def]
[decl: female_head02 in def/tdm_ai_heads_springheel.def]
[model: models/md5/chars/heads/npcs/female_head02.md5mesh]
[decl: tdm_tongue in <implicit file>]
[image: tdm_tongue]”

(Edit: I hotfixed this issue and attached the hotfix in the tech support forums. The "tdm_tongue" shader should simply be renamed to "tdm_character_tongue".)

“WARNING:Couldn't load image: models/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_dull01
[map entity: func_static_53]
[decl: old_plaster in skins/tdm_models_architecture_modules.skin]
[decl: models/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_dull01 in <implicit file>]
[image: models/darkmod/wood/boards/wood_brown_dull01]"

(Edit: I hotfixed this issue as well - see the tech support forums - but I think you should still go over this file, because there are a lot of other suspect textures in there as well.)

Edited by Nort
I hotfixed one of the issues.

It'd be best to report bugs in the bug tracker, bugs.thedarkmod.com, so they don't get buried in the forums. Maybe some of them warrant discussion on the forum if there's something unclear about them. The DR Wishlist thread is intended for requesting new features or improvements to DR.

1 hour ago, Dragofer said:

It'd be best to report bugs in the bug tracker, bugs.thedarkmod.com, so they don't get buried in the forums. Maybe some of them warrant discussion on the forum if there's something unclear about them. The DR Wishlist thread is intended for requesting new features or improvements to DR.

I'm just saying that sometimes a lack of console warnings, is an improvement. I've spent probably the entire week trying to fix them - just apply some sort of bandaid to them with the little knowledge I have - and the attitude from some devs here is just "Just ignore the warnings.". No. I want you to focus on fixing bugs before you dream big. Today I spent trying to sort out the mess that is the mages, where you take a male, and you create an archmage out of it, and then you create a mage out of it, and then you create a female out of it, and so now the female mages will act all male, because they got all the male animations too, and so she will flood the console in idle animation warnings. These are the things you want me to ignore, while you focus on new features. You build things from the ground up. You make a stable foundation first, where people program with care and structure and discipline. If you have a wench, a wench_new, and a female_rogue, sharing the same skin, like I had to deal with yesterday, then you separate them. (...but don't worry - I'll upload that for you probably tomorrow. That patch worked out pretty well.) Less bugs is what I wish for. I repeat: I'm so frustrated over this that I spent an entire week, just trying to silence the voices in my head, where the voices in my head are the red warnings that pop up on the console.

2 hours ago, Nort said:

Today I spent trying to sort out the mess that is the mages, where you take a male, and you create an archmage out of it, and then you create a mage out of it, and then you create a female out of it, and so now the female mages will act all male, because they got all the male animations too, and so she will flood the console in idle animation warnings.

AIs are complex entities with many spawnargs - this is why you should change the entity class as a whole (which is simply a preset of spawnargs) rather than changing individual spawnargs when changing AIs.

No one said to ignore warnings, and we have an internal thread that deals with reducing console warnings. My previous post was about using the bugtracker to properly keep track of all the bugs you come up with, so when a dev a few months from now has the time to squash your bugs he can actually find them in an organised database rather than somewhere in the forums.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nort said:

You build things from the ground up. You make a stable foundation first, where people program with care and structure and discipline. If you have a wench, a wench_new, and a female_rogue, sharing the same skin…

I am not sure where the “foundation” begins in TDM as far as technology - but I am pretty sure individual entity and skin definitions are not it. I am sure devs and players appreciate the help quashing minor bugs as these can be irritating but your sense of proportion and frustration threshold are absolutely not in line with what you are reporting. If you want these things addressed maybe take the multiple instances of advice you have received as far as where and how to report them.

6 hours ago, Nort said:

I repeat: I'm so frustrated over this that I spent an entire week, just trying to silence the voices in my head, where the voices in my head are the red warnings that pop up on the console.

You may need more help than is readily available on a Internet forum.

-=  IRIS  =-    ♦    = SLL =

4 hours ago, Dragofer said:

AIs are complex entities with many spawnargs - this is why you should change the entity class as a whole (which is simply a preset of spawnargs) rather than changing individual spawnargs when changing AIs.

No one said to ignore warnings, and we have an internal thread that deals with reducing console warnings. My previous post was about using the bugtracker to properly keep track of all the bugs you come up with, so when a dev a few months from now has the time to squash your bugs he can actually find them in an organised database rather than somewhere in the forums.

Why doesn't he have that time now? I mean sure, some people are working in their spare time, but at the same time you have spare time to implement next gen lighting, which will no doubt complicate the engine even more.

I'll ask this publicly, since I got no reply from Cabalistic: Who is in charge of definition and model scripting, now that Springheel is gone? I want to talk spawnargs with that person in DMs.

21 minutes ago, Nort said:

Who is in charge of definition and model scripting, now that Springheel is gone? I want to talk spawnargs with that person in DMs

No one particular dev is in charge of "def and model spawnargs". We all create those as features or assets come online. Dragofer answered your question, the best way to get bugs fixed is to log them in the tracker, do not directly PM devs about bugs as those have a tendency to get lost and can't be tracked. 

29 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

I am not sure where the “foundation” begins in TDM as far as technology - but I am pretty sure individual entity and skin definitions are not it. I am sure devs and players appreciate the help quashing minor bugs as these can be irritating but your sense of proportion and frustration threshold are absolutely not in line with what you are reporting. If you want these things addressed maybe take the multiple instances of advice you have received as far as where and how to report them.

With "foundation" I mean the already implemented features - things that should work, and are obviously not, and are hindering the use of entire AI classes like mages. Don't halfass implementations. Make sure that they work properly, before you move on to the next implementation. Don't sweep "minor bugs" like all the functionality of mages, under the rug for a month or six. Make sure that the fireballs they're casting, actually cast damage, so that mappers don't have to recreate them in their maps in a few months from now. ...because these are the bugs that mappers will notice, and will hinder their progress, and (since there are pretty few crashes lately) that makes them major bugs. Mages shouldn't have been released until they were done.

"You may need more help than is readily available on a Internet forum."

We all need help, Crab. In just a few decades from now, humanity will have been consumed by The Great Black Mother, and then nothing will matter anymore, but until then, peace of mind is just foolishness. We are all going to die. Why stay sane?

(I say this as someone with no relevant experience at all...)

@Nort you might also want to take a 30 minute walk and ask yourself what about your artistic vision and/or workflow is making this deficiency of your medium so problematic for you. Then ask yourself whether there is anything you could do to get around the issue. Maybe you can adjust your vision, or approach the problem differently. That's not to say the problems you bring up aren't valid, but there may be more effective ways for you to remedy your own problem than to jump on a forum and demand changes that probably won't be coming in a hurry, if at all.

The most important any artist must learn is how to keep working despite adverse conditions, because if you are only capable of creating when everything is perfect, chances are that you will simply never create anything.

21 minutes ago, kingsal said:

No one particular dev is in charge of "def and model spawnargs". We all create those as features or assets come online. Dragofer answered your question, the best way to get bugs fixed is to log them in the tracker, do not directly PM devs about bugs as those have a tendency to get lost and can't be tracked.

I was more thinking of telling him how to write a good naming structure, because bad structures is the "bug" in this case. ...but I guess there is generally no concept of project quality control in place, and so once a creator releases something, and then leaves, there is then nobody around willing to sort out any bugs. I then guess that the best I can do, is keep releasing my inofficial patches, and hope that they'll make it easier for a more experienced dev to implement them.

6 minutes ago, ChronA said:

(I say this as someone with no relevant experience at all...)

@Nort you might also want to take a 30 minute walk and ask yourself what about your artistic vision and/or workflow is making this deficiency of your medium so problematic for you. Then ask yourself whether there is anything you could do to get around the issue. Maybe you can adjust your vision, or approach the problem differently. That's not to say the problems you bring up aren't valid, but there may be more effective ways for you to remedy your own problem than to jump on a forum and demand changes that probably won't be coming in a hurry, if at all.

The most important any artist must learn is how to keep working despite adverse conditions, because if you are only capable of creating when everything is perfect, chances are that you will simply never create anything.

What I can do, is ask devs how to solve this, and now that I found out about the extent of the lack of willingness, I've now arrived at the conclusion that I might have to join the dev team and sort this out myself. That's not ideal, but it's the best I can do.

2 minutes ago, Wellingtoncrab said:

@NortI am not much of a coder but even I know “please file a bug report” != “lack of willingness” to address an issue.

Your time is your own, but 2.11 is a ways off so you could always divert some energy towards fleshing this scene out:

Those crates were an instant masterpiece, and I haven't touched them since. I'm in a completely different room now, surrounded by mages. (Sometimes when I create them, I forget to set their team to 0, and a fullscale brawl breaks out between them and all the other models there.)

Once I've released all my bugfixes in my patch thread, I'll turn to reporting those bugs. I'll make it as easy for you as possible. I'm happy that 2.11 is a ways off - that means that my patches will stay relevant for longer.

1 hour ago, Nort said:

I then guess that the best I can do, is keep releasing my inofficial patches, and hope that they'll make it easier for a more experienced dev to implement them.

Sounds like a good approach!

I'd like the md5 animation viewer to display the elapsed time in frames. I don't know why it's measuring it in seconds - that's absolutely of no use to me. I'd also like the stepping arrows to step 1 frame, or 10 frames, and not 16 milliseconds. (I have reached the conclusion that a frame is 40 milliseconds. This isn't listed anywhere.)

Edited by Nort

26 minutes ago, Nort said:

I'd like the md5 animation viewer to display the elapsed time in frames. I don't know why it's measuring it in seconds - that's absolutely of no use to me. I'd also like the stepping arrows to step 1 frame, or 10 frames, and not 16 milliseconds. (I have reached the conclusion that a frame is 40 milliseconds. This isn't listed anywhere.)

This was implemented with DR 3.0.0, which is currently in public beta testing. You could download it from this subforum and try it out.

Also, DR feature requests are also well suited to being put on the bugtracker, that's the most reliable way of it getting implemented at some point.

6 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

This was implemented with DR 3.0.0, which is currently in public beta testing. You could download it from this subforum and try it out.

Also, DR feature requests are also well suited to being put on the bugtracker, that's the most reliable way of it getting implemented at some point.

B-but you have this wishlist... 🥴

• 3 months later...

🔹   It would be handy to have a "tab" to load a second map file. Reason:  cutting and pasting geometry or prefabs from other maps I've worked on. Or to save a prefab into a map "tabbed" in the background ( like in a web browser).

🔹   My second idea was to have H (hide) with 2 buttons ... 1 and 2.

So briefly: select all you want hidden... press H to hide, this turns on button "1" / # 1 items are now hidden.

Select more stuff... press H to hide, this turns on button 2. / # 2 items are now hidden.

hover mouse over button 1 to reveal what is hidden. Same with button 2.

click button 1 to unhide that hidden group, click button 2 to unhide that hidden group.

So it's basically a 2 stage clipboard for H. Hover over the button ( 1 or 2) to reveal - click it ( 1 or 2 ) to turn it off .

🔹 A way to filter light "diamonds" out of the cam view without removing the light effect itself.

That's all I can think of at the moment - BUT lets get a completely solid flag ship version without errors before charging ahead.

diamonds.thumb.JPG.4681a1b824b2fdec67677a78d998a280.JPG

Yer the nicest func_mover I've ever met.

This H idea may not be a help to everyone.

It's the "hover" over the button 1 or 2 to reveal that helps the most. That way you can bring them back temporarily without canceling hide all together, and get a brief view as you map.

moving your mouse side to side over a button ... it's there... its hidden is easier than layers for this. And is less tedious than bringing everything hidden back into view only to have to hide a number of them again. As it is now all geometry hidden is lumped into one group.

Yer the nicest func_mover I've ever met.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:46 PM, datiswous said:

Alternatively having a shortcut key for adding a layer of selected stuff could be useful?

Whoops, they already exist for layers 1 to 10.

Whould be better though if the hide and show layer shortcut-keys were toggles I think. Currently I have to set 1 shortcut-key to hide layer 1 and another shortcut-key to show layer 1.

Could the Keyboard shortcut settings have tabs for different sections like how it is done with the mouse binding settings?

Or, they could be placed both inside the preferences screen to unclutter the edit menu?

Example:

Spoiler

mockup.thumb.jpg.27bbdf0e45cfbaa9a5ee160dddc4036d.jpg

Edited by datiswous

That's an interesting suggestion. It's possible for modules to add settings to the pref pages, but only simple stuff like checkboxes and dropdowns. Having a way to integrate more complex modules like the mouse binding editor would require some work, I guess. But I like the overall idea of having the mouse bindings integrated with the rest of the settings.

• Like 2

Curently I can't add spawnargs to grouped entities. I first have to ungroup them. I don't know if this is possible, but maybe there is a way to list all the entities within grouped entities, so that you can add spwanargs to them.

I guess there should be 2 ways:

• Add spawnarg to group of entities of same type (so there should be a hierarchy)
  • Add spawnarg to seperate entities of grouped entities

I don't know if there's real need for it, from mappers perspective but I think it could be useful.

I would like the possibilty of having the properties window be a separate, temporary window. Preferably each subtab could have its own window so it can be sized and placed individually.

The information that is displayed (Entity dictionary, media browser, texture view etc.) is not needed most of the time, but when you shrink them to save screen space they are hard to work with.

The idea is to quickly open them with a key press, do the work then close them with another key press.

I also would like an option to switch the search on key press off that some windows use. It disrupts my workflow by preventing keyboard shortcuts (which I use very often).

Thank you for your continuing work on this, by the way. It's much appreciated. 🙂

• Like 1