The Dark Mod Forums

Application For Mapping Position

Bukary

I am interested in applying for a mapping position.

Who am I?

My name is Pawel "Bukary" Wrzesien. I live in Tatry Mountains (Poland). I teach literature, history and Polish language. I'm 29.

Any mapping experience?

I am (or should I say: was?) familiar with DromEd. I built many demo locations, but released only one Thief 2 FM (Old Comrades, Old Debts) and one demo mission (Mistrz FX). OCOD was Komag's Contest 3 winner. I also used T3Ed to create some locations, but never released anything playable.

Unfortunately, I have no Radiant (or any other editor with additive geometry) experience. Three weeks ago I opened DoomEdit for the first time. Since then I read and watched many tutorials and managed to build two locations that you can see below.

Why Dark Mod?

Firstly, I wanted to build my FM in T3Ed, because I am no longer interested in DromEd. But the limitations of this editor will not allow me to do what I want. I guess that Radiant would serve my purposes better. Secondly, I don't have much time for my hobby, therefore I work slowy. Dark Mod will not be released soon. And that's why I won't have to build fast.

For all those reasons I am very interested in Dark Mod toolset and beta mapper position. If it is possible, I also would like to share this toolset with my modeler, MRYS. He made lots of objects for DromEd FMs (especially Timon's) and wants to help me with my project. Of course, each object that will be made for my FM can (with Dark Mod QA Division approval ;) ) become part of the toolset final package.

What would I build with Dark Mod toolset?

The Cartographer's Note FM. It takes place in the City (not necessarily the one known from the original Thief). The story involves forgotten necromancers' society and pirates' guild. Planned (main) locations: city streets, underground caves, leprosarium, crypt, observatory, mausoleum, tavern, City archives. The rest should remain secret in the public forum. :P

Samples of my work:

DromEd:

drom19kw.th.jpgdrom20py.th.jpgdrom31yb.th.jpg

dromed40ji.th.jpgdromed53rl.th.jpgdromed67gp.th.jpg

dromed73mh.th.jpgdromed84tm.th.jpgdromed95pp.th.jpg

More here.

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Sorry but the Dark Mod is an equal oppertunity employer and people aged 29 may not apply.

Yes, I've read you statute. Dark Mod "protects applicants and employees 40 years of age or older from discrimination on account of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment", right? Silly me. I should have written that I'm 67. :(

So you all have grandchildren? Can I see the photos in your wallets? Please. :P

BTW, how does it work? What should I do in order to get the toolset? Each team member should vote or state his/her opinion? I'm eagerly waiting for your questions... :)

Nothing will scare me know: I'm moving to another town in July, therefore I had an application meeting last week. I was interviewed by five persons for two hours before I got the job. :wacko: And it was not because I don't have qualifications or something. It's just that there are dozens of qualified candidates for one position in Poland. We have some serious job problems here. :(

Edited by Bukary

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

For all those reasons I am very interested in Dark Mod toolset and beta mapper position.

• 2 weeks later...

When you look at the DromEd shots at thumbnail size, anyone could be forgiven for thinking they were T3Ed shots or some other more advanced graphics engine. This is a result of your great use of lights, textures, and architecture. Your artistic skill with level creation is extremely apparent. IMO you should've got an instant "in" with the simple sentance "I made Old Comrads Old Debts" alone.