The Dark Mod Forums

Tomb Raider Legend Demo

SneaksieDave

Any old fans of TR owe it to themselves to try this demo out. I've spent the last hour with it, and it seems really well put together. Supposedly under a new developer (someone mentioned Legacy of Kain, but I don't know anything about that) and obviously a new graphics engine. It looks really good and plays well. They've changed some things in the control scheme - no longer are you locked onto blocks, and there's finally mouse control. :blink:

I remember when I first started up the original Tomb Raider, some 10 years ago, and as soon as I saw the theme (tomb raiding, duh) the graphics, the water, the gameplay, I actually said out loud to my old room, like a silly sentimental fool, "I've got a new game!" and smiled. Well playing this demo (I only just got up over the waterfall and started using the binoculars), I just said to myself, "I've finally got a new Tomb Raider."

Dorky, but hey, just being honest. Anyway, I don't know anything about this game really, as I haven't been following development - I quit on TR after TR2 when it all went to shit. So I don't know about the locations. But I'm sure hoping it's mostly TOMB RAIDING (duh) and less high tech, buildings and cities, human v. humans with guns crapola.

Here are some mirrors from Blue's: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?...flatnew&start=0

I sure hope it doesn't have starforce. :wub:

And hey, what's up with that water? Why is it that TRL has great water effects on my GFTi4600, but Doom3 doesn't? Bah. Lack of shader support mine arse.

post-58-1143915795_thumb.jpg

You'd think game companies would want you to download their games, but they seem to go out of their way to stop you. I tried to get this demo without having to register with some spam machine - finally managed to download something, but it turned out to be a demo for Championship Manager.

Try the filenuts link, it was pretty simple to get through. I think I'm about at the end of the demo (there's a machine you have to defeat to enter a door, so it seems like the finale), and man.. if they keep the game going this way, I'm sold. Very much like original TR.

I remember being impressed by the graphics on one of the original Tomb Raiders, unfortunately though I absolutely LOATHE 3rd person games (not because of any ideological elitism, I just can't stand not seeing what the character sees and all that lurching camera action gives me motion sickness).

Yep, also a fan of the first game. Let me know if this one's any good.

I predict this will be the top selling Tomb Raider ever. They finally went with what works. Lara's proportions where re-done to be accurate. She's more of a real woman now.

Edited by Unstoppable

This is the perspective that ruined the game in the first place. Tomb Raider is not about big digital boobs. Similarly, the popularity of Indiana Jones was not based around seeing his bulge in Adventurer Khakis.

I read a preview yesterday, and was interested to read that they brought Toby Gard back on for this one somehow. Wonder how much cash they put out for that. He's the original creator, and he left after T2 (if not during development? I'm not sure), and then the series began to go further and further to shit. I just found it appropriate and comforting that they bring the creator back when it's (hopefully) being steered straight, and that it's being steered straight just as they bring the creator back.

wot how else would u perv at Lara's arse?

Thats a good point. A buddy of mine once mused that the reason for third person games is less about gameplay and more about making sure your signature character is on the players screen 24/7. Some sort of branding scheme in other words, we are lucky Garret in TDS wasnt wearing an Eidos T-shirt or something.

Just finished the demo. Seemed pretty good, but just when I was getting into it and feeling mildly taxed it ended abruptly. It seemed rather poorly put together. Should it not have ended on a plot point to entice the player to buy the game?

I liked what I saw however, seemed to go back to the 'good old days'. The only thing I didn't like was having to press E when Lara slipped, it seemed rather random and annoying.

The "action to secure your grab" comes into play when you're rushing a jump, or doing a jump under less than optimal conditions/distances. It's a way to get rid of the 'grid' you had to run around on in the old games to make jumps - now the grid is gone, but there's some extra action you might have to take if you're being sloppy and as a result don't get a good grip. Decent trade off, IMO.

The "action to secure your grab" comes into play when you're rushing a jump, or doing a jump under less than optimal conditions/distances. It's a way to get rid of the 'grid' you had to run around on in the old games to make jumps - now the grid is gone, but there's some extra action you might have to take if you're being sloppy and as a result don't get a good grip. Decent trade off, IMO.

Are you implying I jump in anything less than optimal conditions? :angry:

:laugh:

I'm hoping the other half(?) of the level is coming, and before too long. At the end it says... erm, something like "to be continued in spring". W00t. I've actually started replaying the original (thanks to Win98, with a "bite me" to XP), to satisfy the cravings.

Edit: actually, I hope it's more than "half". I believe the full game has only 8 levels, and TR's levels used to be immense multi-hour monsters. One can get through this demo half-level on subsequent tries in like 15 mins.

The game does seem rather short compared to previous TR experiences... I've had it about 3 days and I'm over half-way through... Which is pretty good going for me. The puzzles aren't as immense as they were in previous games*. That said, I only ever finished 1 and 2. I bought 4 and got bored with it. Perhaps I'll dig it out again...

Anyhoo, it's seems an awful lot like Splinter Cell. Anyone agree?

*See: The Cistern, TR1.

SeaBass%20Hale.png

It all goes back to Thief: The Dark Project baby! That game is still king in my book. No other stealth game is on equal footing. But hey there are great games out there don't get me wrong. Splinter Cell is great.(I beat part 1 2 and 3 same for Thief LOL)

Also my prediction was correct. Tomb Raider Legend is selling like hot cakes. I was confident before release that Crystal D knew what they were doing.