The Dark Mod Forums

Female Pagan

oDDity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She looks too naked, she needs to be 'wearing' her tattoos.

Celtic designs tend to be complex and overlapping, with a lot of curves. Just put 'celtic tattoo' into Google. Or if you're after something different, try maori tattoo.

I like how the blue bits look painted on, though.

Also, celts had either ginger, brown or (mostly) black hair. Blonde hair is a German invention.

THis isn't an historical reproduction It's fantasy universe, remember. I never want to hear 'that isn't historically accurate, the real x who lived on Earth 1000 years ago had y feature and yours has z - now get it fixed!!'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

But they did it better. They did have hundreds of years of practise, so don't feel too bad.

We should plagiarise a much as possible off dead civilizations - they had more time to get it right than we do, and they aren't going to complain, are they?

Well, if anyone wants to add more complex tattoo patterns, I'll upload the model and texture. I'm happy with the way it is, though I think I'll add some jewelry.

Celtic tattoos were not that complex, all those fancy celtic knots and things you see today would not have been tattooed on people 1000 years ago, and they didn't cover thmesleves in tattoos from head to toe.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I would like to experiment with the tattoos a little. Please upload the stuff you have for this model.

We should plagiarise a much as possible off dead civilizations - they had more time to get it right than we do, and they aren't going to complain, are they?

There's not really any "right" when you're talking about art, though. And I don't agree that we need to plagiarize off of dead civilizations for our purposes. We can make up our own stuff. Creating new tattoo designs doesn't take rocket science.

I like the look of the tattooed skin, but I'm a bit put off by the symmetry. I know, celtic patterns tend to be symmetric, but I don't see why we should stick to this.

How good is the resolution of a model skin? I ask because that's how delicate and detailed a pattern can look.

Just to drop in an idea: I think tattoos that resemble scripture look real striking.

nejapan3um.jpg

Yeah, I know Nic Endo is a jap goth chick and it's only paint, but my point is I like the mixture of clear, distinct lines and that it's asymmetric without looking random.

On the other side of the scale you've got stuff like the traditional henna tattoos, I think that's closer to what Macsen has in mind.

henna4dd.jpg

I never want to hear 'that isn't historically accurate, the real x who lived on Earth 1000 years ago

things you see today would not have been tattooed on people 1000 years ago,

Pick one, would you? ;)

Anyway, I'd like to do a skin or two for her as well. We won't want every female to be sporting the same tattoos.

Somehow I don't think this is appropriate. I have no problem with the nudity itself, but this just looks like a sex, that was just put in to have a naked girl. She doesn't look like a warrior at all, or as if she were wearing her tattoos and nakedness because of her cultural background. She is just naked to be naked without any other real reason.

Gerhard

She's not supposed to be a warrior, she's just an ordinary villager.

Why would we have leet female warriors running around in a misison? Our thief has to infiltate a large open field during a battle between tribes and steal the chieftain's codpiece?

Haviing guard types doesn't really make sense to me. A pagan village would not have a city watch or guards wandering about, except maybe people guarding the chieftains hut, and they would not be women.

There will be a clothed version for the city, but in their natural habitat they don't wear clothing. Think of them as simple folk who dance around camp fires.

How can you 'look as though you are naked becasue of your cultural background', as opposed to just being naked for no reason?

Try to make sense will you.

Here are the files for those who want to paint on more tattoos. The mesh is split down the middle and mirrored, so you're really only painting one half, and it will end up symetrical. Paint on the white layer.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Files/tattoo_base.rar

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think this is great that so many people want a go at making new tatoos. The easiest way to create lots of visual variety for a mesh is just to simply make a lot of different textures for it.

I noticed this mesh has mitten hands. The Elite guard I'm working on doesn't. oDDity are you going to re-model him to have mitten hands also? I think I remember you saying something about that.

If so, then I better put off re-posing the fingers till you do, since the rig will be too different.

Either paint them in photoshop, and move back and forth between that and lightwave to check how it looks on the model, or use a program like deep paint 3d to paint on the actual model. I used a mixture of both methods.

I think this is great that so many people want a go at making new tatoos.

Oh yes, everyone's queuing up to paint teh nudie girl for some reason...

I noticed this mesh has mitten hands. The Elite guard I'm working on doesn't. oDDity are you going to re-model him to have mitten hands also? I think I remember you saying something about that.

If so, then I better put off re-posing the fingers till you do, since the rig will be too different.

Yes, it has mitten hands, but with normal maps in-game you'd swear they were fully modeled. It's a total saving of 800 polygons, so it would be wise to make all the models like that.

post-51-1144419050_thumb.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh yes, everyone's queuing up to paint teh nudie girl for some reason...

ROFL! Just cuts right to the point, doesn't it.

If I play AO again anytime soon, I'll try to take some screenshots of a Shade if I see one. They don't use equipment and instead run around nekkid and get bonuses from tattoos. It's hard to believe that I cannot find one good image of a Shade on teh intarnet.

http://ao.gamigo.de/images/sl/030530_08.jpg

Everyone. Yes, the guy who's been doing dozens of skins for other models and one other person. How will we keep up with the demand? ;)

I've had a naked female model for a year now, so this is hardly anything extra exciting all the sudden. I see it as something easy that I can finally try out, and is something that would be hard to screw up the design of. It doesn't get much easier than slapping ornate designs on someone's skin. I've not worked with textures before and want to try and figure it out.

Everyone. Yes, the guy who's been doing dozens of skins for other models and one other person. How will we keep up with the demand?

Well, plus me. So, yayy!! Two concept artists volunteer and we're all the sudden horny, pimpled teenagers about to blow a gasket.

It doesn't hurt that it's a naked woman, though.

Yes, it has mitten hands, but with normal maps in-game you'd swear they were fully modeled. It's a total saving of 800 polygons, so it would be wise to make all the models like that.
That's seriously awesome news. Okay I will not bother with the hands of the Elite guard till you update his mesh. I assume there will be a way to carry over the animation I've done already even though the mesh is different? I didn't rig it, but I suppose once it's been re-rigged the anim should work fine?

Everyone. Yes, the guy who's been doing dozens of skins for other models and one other person. How will we keep up with the demand? ;)

Yeah exactly... :rolleyes: Reminds me recently of how my younger brother met a young girl and every one kept asking him "ooooh do you lliiiike herr..." and his response to all this was a sarcastic "Oh yeah - cause like, I'm a guy, and she's a chick - so OF COURSE we're attracted to each other <_<"

And this is just tattoo designs everyone wants to try, which is not much more than lines - anyone can have a go.

The real test will be to see how many people step up to texture the male.
Geez - I will do one for him, just to spite you. Judging from the reaction above, I completely expect people to think I might gay as a direct result... <_<

And this is just tattoo designs everyone wants to try, which is not much more than lines - anyone can have a go.

Ah, but it's WHERE the lines are going, what matters. :)

You could say just as well "Sex is all about moving back and forward, which is not much more than making excersises in the gym - anyone can have a go." :)

Gerhard

THis is a city version.

Yes, I know some of you are going to start crying because it isn't outlandish and blatant enough, you want them ruuning around in loincloths and animal skins, waving animal bones, but this is a city remember, that sort of thing is not going to be tolerated.

These are people living in a city, and if they don't want to be killed or kicked out, they are going to dress in a somewhat normal and unprovocative way, maybe even pretend to worship certain appropriate religions to avoid the attentions of the Builders.

In order to differentiate them from other city dwellers, there's no need to make them look like apache indians or tarzan and jane, it can be more subtle, like the long blonde/braided hair and their style of dress and jewelry.

Other things we haven't worked out is exactly how intregrated these city pagans are.

- how do they get money, what to they eat?

- do they have jobs?

- what is their relationship with other city dwellers and other factions?

- are they dispersed throughout the city or do they live in an enclave?

- is this pagan area a no-go zone for other city folk, or is it patrolled by the city watch like other areas?

- what is their standard of living. I know they appeared more or less like dumbass moron-speaking cavemen in previous Thief games, but I'd imagine, if we're basing them on celts, they could make good money as craftsmen, making and selling weapons, jewlery, tapestries, wickerwork etc

post-51-1144491489_thumb.jpg

- Emil Zola

character models site

You're completely free to create a gypsy faction any old time you like. Why not start today?

That's seriously awesome news. Okay I will not bother with the hands of the Elite guard till you update his mesh. I assume there will be a way to carry over the animation I've done already even though the mesh is different? I didn't rig it, but I suppose once it's been re-rigged the anim should work fine?

YOu can animate the hands already, and the animaiton will be taken over by the new mesh. THe thumb and forefinger bones will remain the way they are, and I will use the existing ring finger bones to bind and weight the mitten part of the new hand to, so it should all work out the same.

- Emil Zola

character models site