The Dark Mod Forums

Mod Idea - Patriot Wars

Macsen

This has nothing to do with the Dark Mod, it's just a standard deathmatch shoot 'em up really, but I'd like your views on it.

The idea is this: A standard Quake 3 style deathmatch, CTF, and so on, setup, but that every player model and mission represents a different country around the globe.

So for instance, for England: There would be a player model which represents England, in a cool red/white cyber suit, but there would also be an 'England' deathmatch level. The deathmatch levels would be based on the culture of that country, so maybe there would be a stonehenge bit for dodging other players' fire, a street with tudor architecture, a Globe style theatre, and so on... The Japan deathmatch level woul have cool Japanese temples and streets lined with neon signs. Loading screens would give you something about the history and culture of the country.

Perhaps for America there would be missions for different states rather than the whole country, or there would be too many people using the same model. ;)

The plan wouldn't be to do all 200+ countries and models, but to do a few of the most popular and idiosyncratic (Egypt, France, China, Australia, Russia, India, and so forth), and then let the mod community develop and all the patriots out there to create maps and models based on their own countries.

Every player AI would speak the language of that country when shooting/laughing/so on. :)

This mod isn't that ambitious because the coding work and so on would probably be in place. Any game engine that supports this kind of deathmatch play would also do.

From the description given, it sounds like a very ambitions project to me. It may not need that much coding, but getting the voice acting, all that languages, and maps, reflecting the respective countries, doesn't sound like a trivial task to me.

Gerhard

From the description given, it sounds like a very ambitions project to me. It may not need that much coding, but getting the voice acting, all that languages, and maps, reflecting the respective countries, doesn't sound like a trivial task to me.

I don't think it would be. Voice acting would be limited to a few stock phrases - there's no need for the kind of complexity seen in the Dark Mod. 10 or so lines per country should cover it. As for maps, multiplayer maps are usually much smaller and less complicated than maps in single player games. Having them reflect the cultures of different countries, that's what I'm really interested in, so it would be a joy for me to work on.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a lot of hard work, but it isn't as ambitious as most other mods. :)

Anyway, the work seems pretty "routine" in the positive sense that you could use models from real life and it's just a matter of taking the time to put it together without having to worry about complicated coding that might bog you down thinking about.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here are the world arenas planned so far:

TINY (2 players)

Vatican City

Canada

Thailand

Botswana

Scotland

SMALL (4 players)

Iran

Cuba

Mexico

The Republic of Ireland

Germany

MEDIUM (8 players)

Israel

Greece

India

Jamaica

Spain

LARGE (16 players)

Argentina

Wales

Japan

France

Brazil

GIANT (any number of players)

England

Australia

Egypt

USA

China

I take it as an personal affront that you put Germany into "small" with Iran, Cuba and Mexico. :angry:

you goddamn welsh nationalist ;)

It's the map size that's small. I'm not belittling Germany. :D

I wanted to split the mainland European countries up into different size categories. I might bump it up if there's enough call for it. I might also bust USA down to small just to burst their bubble a little bit, because I'm evil like that. ;)

Btw, yes I am a Welsh nationalist. Bwaha!

I don't like Canada's Tiny either. I live in a province of the country that's larger than your entire kingdom :P

They're ordered by the average national penis size I'm afraid, nothing I can do about it.

OK I may bump Canada up a few notches. But remember that if you're in the tiny group your 'arena' is probably going to be played more often than the huge ones that require 16+ players.

They're ordered by the average national penis size I'm afraid, nothing I can do about it.

Yes, I'm glad to see you correctly assessed Australia for the Giant map size in that regard... :D

I have a new idea for the mod (feature creep alert) .... SHIELDS!

Players will be able to use the right mouse button to raise a shield that stops bullets, bounces back plasma fire, and can be used to propel a player into the air when hit by a explosion (like a rocket jump).

I'm suprised deathmatch games have not used this so far actually.

I’ve revamped the mission order somewhat, based on imagined penis size this time:

TINY (2 players)

Vatican City

Argentina

Thailand

Botswana

Scotland

SMALL (4 players)

Iran

Cuba

Mexico

The Republic of Ireland

France

MEDIUM (8 players)

Israel

Greece

India

Jamaica

Spain

LARGE (16 players)

Canada

Wales

Japan

Germany

Brazil

GIANT (any number of players)

England

Australia

Egypt

USA

China

Will the penis sizes have an effect on gameplay?

For example, a generously-endowed Englishman (such as myself) should be able to wreak havoc on opposing forces by ripping of his cybersuit and lashing the aggressors around the head with his voluminous manhood. Obviously this option should not be available for the diminutive Scot.

As long as Austria is not included I'm not interested in this mod.

I thought you lived in Germany! You can't claim to be a patriot after turning your back on sweet Austria.

Tell me one interesting thing about Austria and maybe I'll include it. Until then, sie geht überall nicht nahe meinem reizenden Spiel.

Will the penis sizes have an effect on gameplay?

Yes and no. It's a complex system of checks and balances.

I thought you lived in Germany! You can't claim to be a patriot after turning your back on sweet Austria.

Jut because I live somewhere else, doesn't mean that I'm not a patriot. :)

Tell me one interesting thing about Austria and maybe I'll include it.

That depends on your definition of 'intersting'. I don't know what you use for your maps to make them uniquely identify the country. I guess for France you will use the Eiffeltower, so for Austria you can use the Riesenrad, which is well known throghout the world.

Gerhard

you don't know the Prater in Vienna? riesenrad.jpg

correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think even Mr. Bond, James Bond was once riding the Prater - or at least it appeared in one of the movies.

I just looked it up - it was The Living Daylights - and now please don't say you don't know the movie -_-

bond6.jpg