The Dark Mod Forums

Legionary Character

BlackThief

well I started this one as a portfolio project, but after completing the highpoly model I thought he'd probably also fit into the darkmod world. Of course this wouldn't be a generic guard, but rather some kind of personal bodyguard for aristocrats or something like that - some kind of status symbol for the extra rich, because he's from the southern countries and trained very well.

legionary1.jpg

just tell me what you think. I'll finish him either way though, since he'll be for my portfolio.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice model BT :)

I think if people don't know he's a Roman Legionary they'll think he fits fine, but for those that do it may be out of place. The problem is that the armour does'nt really fit well into the medieval age, as they mostly use plate or chainmail etc.

I think the head and body are of excellent proportion - the face especially looks very realistic.

I would'nt mind seeing him ingame mind you. I think every model extra helps :)

I think if people don't know he's a Roman Legionary they'll think he fits fine, but for those that do it may be out of place. The problem is that the armour does'nt really fit well into the medieval age, as they mostly use plate or chainmail etc.

that's what I thought as well. for the darkmod version I'll probably remove the middle part of the body armour and give him chainmail + tunic with an insignia.

All Hail BT, our new character modeller! ;)

Seriously, it looks great. Very roman, true, though it could still be used in its current form as a ceremonial guard or something. A more medieval version would also be great.

There is no problem with the legs that I can see. The arms look a -little- on the short side, but I'm guessing that's just perspective--most character shots look off when you see a static shot of them.

There is no problem with the legs that I can see. The arms look a -little- on the short side, but I'm guessing that's just perspective--most character shots look off when you see a static shot of them.

Also not everybody is built to perfect proportions anyway, and he doesn't look THAT off to me. And he is certainly not hired for his beautifull legs. :)

Gerhard

well it's ok. I asked for crits and I appreciate any comments. I think I know what makes the character look a bit strange proportionwise - it's his belt.

Today especially men wear their trousers rather low (no I don't mean hiphoppers) - just take a look at yourself and pull your jeans up to your hip. looks quite funny, right? The belt of the legionary is placed about in the high of his hip and that's probably the reason why it looks uncommon for us.

2nd edit: btw here's one of my references: http://www.xlegio.ru/incoming/legionary_connoly_26_27_s.jpg

just put da vinci's proportions study in front of the wire - I really take your crits seriously as I want to add this to my portfolio later ;)

post-6-1145374287_thumb.jpg

That image basically backs up what I said--the legs are perfect, and the arms are just a touch too short (probably about 2-3cm). Nothing normal human variation can't explain, but if you're using it for a portfolio you might want to extend them slightly.

Today especially men wear their trousers rather low (no I don't mean hiphoppers) - just take a look at yourself and pull your jeans up to your hip. looks quite funny, right?

When I do that, my wife always complains. :)

The belt of the legionary is placed about in the high of his hip and that's probably the reason why it looks uncommon for us.

I don't know. To me he looks quite ok. It would be good to se him animated to judge it better, because his feet really look a bit short (or his torso a bit long, but this may as well be because of the camera position. Overall, I don't think that he is unproprotional though.

just put da vinci's proportions study in front of the wire - I really take your crits seriously as I want to add this to my portfolio later ;)

Maybe the Da Vinci image is out of proportion. :)

Just kidding.

Gerhard

Well, our city is part of a declining empire, so that could always be the historical armour the empire's armies used to wear, still used for ceremonial purposes or something.