The Dark Mod Forums

Startup/loading

pakmannen

What's the status on this drumple? Managed to get a version ingame yet?

Also, did you get the PM from Gildoran about the scaling method? It sounded like a good idea to me, since we could store the images looking the same way as the originals.

There is also an issue with the concept looking kinda washed out on a few screens. Namely the trees on the left and the ring around the clock. The trees look almost transparent. Anyone experience this? I'm trying to get an idea of how common this problem is. I am planning on fixing it, once I know more about the problem.

no in-game version yet, i have a lot of the text overlays and some of the main paper layouts done, its the

meat of the menu system that has to be made ( the template ) or a working menu system before that stuff

can be added, maybe napalm can help speed those things up, since he had a more together working menu

already.

oh that, yeah.. i can slap that together quickly.. about 10 minutes. but when i was checking the guis out earlier

i noticed that the very 1st loading screen, it looks like it cannot be changed to a vid.. i hope im wrong on this

but im still checking through the guis for it.

that very 1st screen might be actually setup to load the image from the sdk and not the guis... even though

i could not find the references to it in the sdk... worst case is that its done from the doom3.exe

the loading image can be changed though.. from a test i did, it worked.. but it looked real blurry.

im still checking into it, i hope im wrong though... let me check where that image is loaded, that can be

changed.. but then there is the text also which might be a problem...

i'll post back quick when i find it.

ok, its the splash screen, which i cannot find any reference to in the guis.

if you want to change it though, you just change the image in guis/assets/splash/launch.tga

you can make a quick test by taking a darkmod concept image, make shure its 1024x1024 or at least

512x512 and rename it to launch.tga and put it in that folder ( in the darkmod directory, not the doom3 one )

and it will load it at startup for the darkmod.. now getting that to play a video is what im trying to figure out, if

it can be done. i used a hexreader to check the doom3.exe file, but again i found no reference to it.

but im not giving up on it yet.. even though it only gets shown for a few seconds.. still would be nice to see

the video there.

I got it to show up. It is rather blurry though. I also noticed that it automatically defaulted to that screen during the mission loading.

edit: LOL, I was running the game at 640x480 without realizing it. The Loading screen looks great now at 1158x768 (or whatever that res is), no blurring at all.

yeah.. you noticed the text was blue on the 1st load screen?

i tried to get a vid to play, but it wont..

might be able to trick the proper text in by changing the fonts/bank in the darkmod folder.. we dont have it

there, but if we put the carleton there and rename it so it reads as bank..

as for the color.. =/

and as for the loading screen for the maps.. you just need to make your own gui for it.. which we will

do later on.

i would hate not using that video at the startup.. but if its not possible.. we will have to figure some

workaround.

EDIT: the reason mine was super blurry was the original image i used was 640x480.. i didnt realize til a few

minutes ago.. after getting a proper power of 2 image in there, it looks good.

yeah.. you noticed the text was blue on the 1st load screen?

Yeah, that's the original text. We'll want to use our own. I'm sure there must be a way to do it.

You said you got the animation working when you replaced the ID intro movie, right? So worst case, we could have a static image for the game-loading screen and then start the animation where the movie would normally play. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

We already talked about having the startup animation thing starting with the clock, then revealing the title, then our team name. I talked to drewb50 about that (he's doing the promo-vid) and he's game.

So having the initial start screen be a still image wouldn't really be a problem.

What about the default loadingscreen? Would it be possible to have that one with the animated clock?

yeah we could, i mean it would be nice to have it somewhere... i still have odd's old loader screen for the

games ( the gears one ) which looks good for that purpose.

i mentioned in another thread about having some kind of logo for the team.. it could be used for that also.

for instance.. the splash screen could start, then that clock vid with new text that say's

"broken glass studios" and at the bottom "presents..."

let it play for some time.. maybe 8 seconds.. have it fade out.. then play the darkmod intro movie.. or

something.

its still a good video, might as well use it somewhere.

i have a recropped avi that i made out of odd's last one, its at 512x512 which shows the clock more close..

but its 85 meg's in size..

if you want odd's old one, i can up that to the ftp for you pak..

EDIT:

actually.. another good place for that vid would be in the credits screen.. like have it play and then overlay

the credits on it.. scrolling.. or fading in and out at different places...

so many places we could use it.

Do you have Odd's newest clock in its original, small filesize? (What's the difference between his old and his new one btw?) Oh, and what resolution is the ID intro video?

i have odd's newest one, in the small size, nice clear and crisp.. about 531k.. but it's at an odd resolution,

he made it at 1024x756 for some reason when he should have made it at 1024x768..

the id intro is at 512x512.. as well as a few other full screen roq's they use.

so converting odd's video to 512x512 makes it skewed instead of even.. at 768 it would have worked out

proper.

thats why i cropped it to make it all even.. but thats a huge file meant for making into a roq which would be a

small file size in the end.

i can upload odd's one to the ftp.

here's an image from the cropped one i made, so the clock appears more full screen and it's in proper

proportions to be made into a roq vid at 512x512.

clock1047qg.jpg

I'm only going to need it for the intro video, which will be done in AfterEffects or similar (by drewb50). So 1024x756 will work fine (you do the "circular" cropping inside AE). So just upload that one, and I'll pass it along to drewb50.

Edit - Oh, for the loading screen, do you need a cropped clock in a smaller file size? I could ask drewb50 to make one for you if you want. (Or can you shrink the filesize yourself when you convert to ROQ?)

i still have odd's old loader screen for the

games ( the gears one ) which looks good for that purpose.

We can't use those as is. They were lifted directly from someone's site. I posted the URL in the original thread.

There is also an issue with the concept looking kinda washed out on a few screens. Namely the trees on the left and the ring around the clock. The trees look almost transparent. Anyone experience this? I'm trying to get an idea of how common this problem is. I am planning on fixing it, once I know more about the problem.

Okey, I now have two versions. The dark one looks better on the monitor where I am now, but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it on my regular one, where the light one looks ok. So, could you guys take a look at these two and compare? Which one looks best on your monitor?

- Dark version

- Lighter version (the current one)

Edit - While I was at it, I made a different version of the forest

(Again, compare to see the difference)

Edit - Oh, for the loading screen, do you need a cropped clock in a smaller file size? I could ask drewb50 to make one for you if you want. (Or can you shrink the filesize yourself when you convert to ROQ?)

i can recrop the video myself, the file size will shrink to a workable size for the game.

Ok, I checked it at home. There's absolutely no change on the buildings. The clock looks better in the light version, but the trees look better in the dark version (could be just that you added more trees).

We already talked about having the startup animation thing starting with the clock, then revealing the title, then our team name. I talked to drewb50 about that (he's doing the promo-vid) and he's game.

Ok, so we would start with a static clock, which then starts ticking when our title is revealed? That's ok if we can't figure out how to start with an animation I guess, but it's too bad the clock can't be ticking from the beginning.

Are we planning to try and get that title/team name animation bit done by May 31st as well, or just the actual loading screen?

The team name animation is totally separate from everything else though. We don't even have a concept for what it should look like. I don't think it's realistic to get that done in a month along with everything else.