The Dark Mod Forums

The Param >= 15 Crap

Dram

I guess I should post this here.

ATM, most Darkmod textures don't have the if param >= 15 crap (the frob). This does'nt make sense - the door textures don't even have it. IMO all textures should have it because someone may want to make a hidden entrance and have to make a new material just because there was no frob on the default one. Unless it has an impact of framerate, i think we should put that crap in along with the material definitions (the wood rock etc crap). I've done it for all my textures.

I'm just posting a reminder basically :)

Nope, anything you want to hilight would need to be set as 'frobbable' in the entity inspector. Dram is just saying the material defs for the textures should have it the code written in, just in case.

Exactly :)

Aslo, Tim, are you adding material types (wood etc) to model materials too? (such as a wooden bench has a wood material) or just for brush textures? IMO we should do it for all textures. If it's too much work for you I can do half of it :)

I'm planning on going through and adding frob highlight code and surfacetypes when I start on the reorg, so doing it now might be a duplication of work.

As for which things get frob highlights... I was originally planning on only doing doors (and maybe windows?) and models. Secret passages in Thief are usually opened by rotating torches or books, which would already have frobable textures, and adding frob code for every single texture could easily double the sizes of the material files. I figured if a map needs specific TDM textures to be frobable for special circumstances, it probably wouldn't be too much to expect them to write a small material file for their map that would have those textures.

However, for all I know adding frob code to every texture might not impact performance (I'm not really sure), and I admit it could be useful for times like when you want to use a trim texture as the edge of a door.

To be honest, I'd prefer not to add frob code to everything, but if most people seem to want me to, I will.

The problem with letting the mapper do a frob texture for their stuff is that they first have to find the material file, then the material, create their own etc. Unnecessary hassle. The material files only bloat by a few Kb more anyway. Obviously we don't need to add the frob crap to light textures and things like that, but to anything that could remotely be used as a door or frobabble entity we should add it.

Plus once we do it we won't have to have a billion custom amterial files as all the code would already be in.

Like I said before to NH, if it's too much work in your opinion, I can do it :)

But we should definately make those textures frobabble - rember that secret passage ways are very common in thief.