The Dark Mod Forums

Alwas More Stupid Questions... God..

Slash

Hey what up. been a while since ive been able to get on. was hopeing to see a update with my favorit mod. but sadly there isnt. :wacko:

as alwas i have stupid questions.

1. of corse hows the work going. since i see no update and lttle posting my only thought is your hard at work trying to get it done. i would very much like to see some of the work you have been hard to work at.

2. did you ever think about calling the mod thieve? i dont think thats illegal. means just about the same thing and sounds good. might want to think about calling your SP game thieve, something or other. sounds authentic to me :).

3. wall climbing gloves. lol. are you planing to add tho's to your game. they where a ok! feature in T3. i didnt hate them but i dont love them. but what i do love is the oil in the jars. lol did you ever make some guy slip down the stairs. funny as hell.

4. lock picks. what direction are you taking with this. the lock picking was diffrent in thief 1 n 2 from thief 3. i personaly like the simplisity of the original style. swithching between picks. you could add maybe 2 more picks so we have 4. easy doors could use the first 2. them hard doors might use all 4. in random. so you never no which one you need. would make for a easy fun but yet hard at the same time.

5. will arrows stick in to walls made of would. or a door made of wood. or if you shoot it in to the ground. can you pick it back up.

will there be gas arrows as well? also gas mines, gas bombs, gas bubblegum.

6. water arrow idea. i had a idea a while back. a water arrow is simply a glass crystal shape at the end of the arrow. in the games when you shoot it you see a little splash of water. but in reality the water should drip down the tourch and drip on the floor. if a gard saw this he would find it suspicius. and there should be peaches of glass that fall on the ground. maybe a little hard to do tho. and the sound a arrow makes shoud alert the gaurds. glass breaking isnt quiet. if a guard is near it should alert him.

7. from a scale of 0 - 100. what % are we looking at.

1. of corse hows the work going. since i see no update and lttle posting my only thought is your hard at work trying to get it done. i would very much like to see some of the work you have been hard to work at.

Going very well. We've had our noses to the grind lately. :)

2. did you ever think about calling the mod thieve? i dont think thats illegal. means just about the same thing and sounds good. might want to think about calling your SP game thieve, something or other. sounds authentic to me :).

Nope, wouldn't make sense to change the name after well over two years. :)

3. wall climbing gloves. lol. are you planing to add tho's to your game. they where a ok! feature in T3. i didnt hate them but i dont love them. but what i do love is the oil in the jars. lol did you ever make some guy slip down the stairs. funny as hell.

No wall climbing gloves. We addressed that issue a long time ago, I think we've already mentioned publicly that we plan on implimenting our vine arrows differently than T2. The vines will spread up and accross the wall, and then you climb them.

4. lock picks. what direction are you taking with this. the lock picking was diffrent in thief 1 / 2 from thief 3. i personaly like the simplisity of the original style. swithching between picks. you could add maybe 2 more picks so we have 4. easy doors could use the first 2. them hard doors might use all 4. in random. so you never no which one you need. would make for a easy fun but yet hard at the same time.

We won't go into much detail. It's still to early to say yet. We have discussed allowing the player to choose an advanced or Classic T1/ 2 lockpicking system. At this stage, it's all planning, it could all change when we get into coding it.

5. will arrows stick in to walls made of would. or a door made of wood. or if you shoot it in to the ground. can you pick it back up.

Certainly. :) What kind of mod would this be if we didn't at least do that? Like any engine of this type, you're able to assign material types.

will there be gas arrows as well? also gas mines, gas bombs, gas bubblegum.

Gar arrows are already working ingame.

6. water arrow idea. i had a idea a while back. a water arrow is simply a glass crystal shape at the end of the arrow. in the games when you shoot it you see a little splash of water. but in reality the water should drip down the tourch and drip on the floor. if a gard saw this he would find it suspicius. and there should be peaches of glass that fall on the ground. maybe a little hard to do tho. and the sound a arrow makes shoud alert the gaurds. glass breaking isnt quiet. if a guard is near it should alert him.

The water arrow will likely leave a bit of a wet spot or something, I'm not sure yet...but I doubt it will run down the wall or anything like that. It might look nice, but it's just eye candy. The gameplay systems are higher on the priority list. Your suggestion of glass breaking kind of works against the gameplay mechanic of the water arrow. The idea of the water arrow is to encourage stealth over conflict. If firing a water arrows not only makes the guard suspicious of the torch that just went out, but also gives them an audio alert, it's just going to encourage more killing and that is something we are not in support of.

7. from a scale of 0 - 100. what % are we looking at.

Sorry, not even going to take a guess at this point. :) When our next milestone rolls around shortly, we'll likely post an estimate on the website.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm guessing they may announce ~50% complete, but it will be more likely 25-30% complete. I'd recommend not giving an estimate at all ;)

Actually imo its more like we say ~25 but it's around 35. It's best to be safe ;)

But really, we don't know ourselves how much it's done, that's the problem. The biggest problem being that there are peaks and dips in production, which means its completely unguessable. However, when I look at how the mod is progressing my guess would be around:

Models: 60%

Textures: 30%

Code (other then AI): 60%

Code (AI): 30%

Maps: 0% (None are completed to playability, nor can they be. None are for campaign btw)

Sounds: 70%

That's about all of it methinks. Note that this is what I think, so it might not necessarily reflect exactly what the project is at, it's just my guess. Also note this is purely content based figures, so we could end up being stuck at 99% for a long time if RL goes crazy for us all.

Crack pipe or not, it's interesting to hear his p.o.v.

No wonder I hear you guys complaining so much about wanting texture artists and AI coders.

It's not intuitive that you aren't getting textures faster, though. A lot of people around TTLG seem to love making new textures... And while it's not trivial to make good textures, it's not so difficult (comparitively speaking) for someone with a digital camera, time, and knows their way around photoshop or paintshop. I'd have thought this would be the relatively easier area to find support. Or is it just the sheer number of textures you need?

Geez, I really hope you guys can get people to take care of the AI, though ... That's where this brand of gameplay really shines IMO. I actually took AI logic as an elective in college, but too bad my programming isn't up to par with my theoretical studies.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It's not intuitive that you aren't getting textures faster, though. A lot of people around TTLG seem to love making new textures

Bingo. Doesn't quite make sense, does it? Thanks for putting that into words, it is appreciated.

Textures as a whole is quite lacking. Poor BT is shouldering most of the work, and despite numerous leads (free sources, photo jaunts, MORE free sources, discs full of 'em) it's something we lack the most.

This is me speaking, and not on behalf of TDM, so flame me for it; but I can't help but wonder where is all the talent, all the community spirit to assist in this project? Do people think TDM is a joke? I can assure anyone reading it is not. Will these same people enjoy the benefits once it's out, a new thief-inspired game to enjoy hopefully for years, yet won't lift a finger to help when it's needed? This is not a professional company with employees with paychecks being sent home, placed here to make a game with only wishlists and whining as the input from the rest of the community; they are gamers donating their own time and effort. And repeated pleads for help go largely ignored. Some community.

As for the AI, that's one area I'm not too worried about. These guys are all over it, and every post sounds better and better. They're designing stuff that sounds cooler than I'd even hoped.

Texture artists (modern-technology-level-ready) have been, and continue to be, needed.

Just a quick note, what you two say about the AI gives me a warm fuzzy feeling ... that's great to hear.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Adding to my fury over the lack of assistance, are upstarts like Thief Transgressions who march into the forum bragging about making a single player Thief Mod in the Source Engine...while we've been slugging it out over here for over two years. Nice of them to cut an even larger swath out of the already limited number of texture artists/ modelers/ mappers out there. Then, rather than put their pride aside and actually DO something...they strut off in a huff because nobody jumped for joy and kissed their fingers in appreciation.

Textures as a whole is quite lacking. Poor BT is shouldering most of the work, and despite numerous leads (free sources, photo jaunts, MORE free sources, discs full of 'em) it's something we lack the most.

I think you are overestimating the amount of skill that is out there. I would glady make textures if I had the time (hell I even applied at one point), but unfortunately I am just not that good at making textures. OK, but not that good.

The problem is that once you learn a couple of simple techniques in modelling, texturing or whatever, you are immediately seized by the notion that you absolutely rock at modelling or texturing, just because you can produce stuff that you wouldn't have thought possible before you started (I've been there myself). Unfortunately, this applies to everybody else as well, which means that your own work is in fact pretty average.

The result of this is that there is a big discrepancy between the number of "modellers" and "texture artists" who drop into the forums, and the number of actual talented individuals who can make a real contribution.

Yeah, but then again there are some people that have released new texture packs at TTLG for T2 and TDS that are pretty good IMO and I wonder if they even know about the need here (not that I trust my opinion of what's really "good", just that some look better than others).

Adding to my fury over the lack of assistance, are upstarts like Thief Transgressions

Yeah ... I don't know what they were expecting. That kind of attitude makes more sense for some of the other modding communities, like BF-1942 or Source (maybe Unreal), where there's just gobs of people and project ideas, and everyone's kind of doing their own thing, they post their ideas and scout for any random person interested, and there doesn't seem to be much deeper connection between them (and I don't feel like I'm exaggerating that too much).

And isn't that the most awful name. I mean, come on, what worse way to taunt for a C&D than calling yourself "Thief Transgressions". :D

Edited by demagogue

Adding to my fury over the lack of assistance, are upstarts like Thief Transgressions who march into the forum bragging about making a single player Thief Mod in the Source Engine...while we've been slugging it out over here for over two years.

Don't know why you are upset. Bragging is easy. I can creat hundreds of projects in a few days, all with the best features whatsoever. Making it is what counts, and having a cewl website doesn't count for making. You should be aware of thyt by now. :)

Nice of them to cut an even larger swath out of the already limited number of texture artists/ modelers/ mappers out there.

If they are not doing anything, then nothing is cut out anyway.

Then, rather than put their pride aside and actually DO something...they strut off in a huff because nobody jumped for joy and kissed their fingers in appreciation.

No surprise there. Kingers resurrected? :laugh:

Gerhard

The problem is that once you learn a couple of simple techniques in modelling, texturing or whatever, you are immediately seized by the notion that you absolutely rock at modelling or texturing, just because you can produce stuff that you wouldn't have thought possible before you started (I've been there myself).

I know what you mean. :) We experienced this similarily here. When we first had the frob implemented it was an absolutely cool experience, but of course, for everybody else, it was not much of a progress.

Similarily, when I first saw what I can do with a 3D app, I was also excited. Of course, because it extended my possibillities in way I wouldn't have thought possible. But for a knowledgable observer, my attempts are still pitifull. :)

The result of this is that there is a big discrepancy between the number of "modellers" and "texture artists" who drop into the forums, and the number of actual talented individuals who can make a real contribution.

Not only that, but not everybody has the stamina to keep on working for an extended period of time. it is one thing to create a few, very good assets, and quite another to create good assets on a regular basis for said period of time.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of TDM release...

TDP release date is November 30, 1998. It is quite possible that TDM team will work on this project for two more years (at least)... Wouldn't it be great if TDM is released on the 10th anniversary of TDP release? :D

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!