The Dark Mod Forums

The Dream

Ombrenuit

Bizarre it was to find myself in the vivid dream I had this morning. I had been sick with a fever the night before and woke up still feeling tired 10 hours later, and with all this sleep, you might wonder why I was still tired? Was I still sick? Well I would say my throat was still sore, but I wasn't necessarily still sick, I could have gone to school, but I took the opportunity to go back to bed and sleep into the mid-morning sunshine.

You begin to get that light sleep, waking and back to your dreams again, every so often, hearing someone walking on the stairs and acknowledging it while slipping into the deeper caves of your sub-conscious. They were all mixed and matched into one composite, but what I remember distinctly is it being late at night, at this point, and returning home from my enjoyable time at work (yes, only in a dream), and somehow logging onto The Dark Mod, or it's future incarnation years from now, and of course, it was an online world of sorts, but as a real world, not a game persay.

I happened to be, I remember subtly the feeling that I was Zia (I wonder if that is how it's supposed to be spelled? I assume not) in the "House of ill repute", but the mission felt so real, the layout was different. I remember grabbing the bags of gold off the shelves and having to tie the sacks they were in because it kept spilling out, but it was very curious to have to worry where I was going to carry this theft as I grabbed it. However, I remember: the hallway distinctly, the three doors in the dining hall covered in sheets, the door that led to a metal stairwell up into an enourmous sky window, the guard patrols and placement, the look of the mood lighting on the stone, the outside.

In short, it just felt so real; I was actually there, a thief, and I don't suppose I can share that exact feeling. For the first time, I just felt compelled to write something down after a dream. I drew a short map of where I explored in the building. I wonder if this should be the first mission I attempt to make? Hmm.

Have any of you had any vivid Thief inspired dreams to share?

That was a very interesting dream there! I got something like that once, but I didn't remember it... Well, I rarely remember my dreams...

Who is Zia?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Well, since we're writing down dreams, I've had the urge to share this one from earlier this week because it was so awesome:

I was in some sort of occult police force, making sure the mythical creatures that people don't believe in don't violate any mythical laws, sounds like the plot of dozens of bad anime series, etc. I went thru the whole rookie training thing which was pretty boring so I'll skip the details. Anyway, one of the assignments was patrolling some sort of interdimensional United Nations meeting place where even warring factions of mythical beings can come and meet in peace. This place had huge stone hallways with high ceilings and dim lighting, and also some narrower tunnels.

So I'm walking along with my squad in one of the tunnels that opens up onto a big hallway, marveling at the diplomatic envoys from tribes of alien creatures, and I see some weird mirage-like shimmering way down the hallway at an intersection with another hallway. I keep looking at it, and realise it is some kind of illusion. Somehow, I will the illusion away and for a moment the true scene resolves: Way down at that hallway intersection, there's a tank (like I said, big hallways), machine-gunning crowds of people who are running and panicking. There is however, no sound.

At this point the realization dawned that the place was under attack, and whoever it was was using sight and sound illusions to mask it so that they could continually take people by surprise. First I stopped walking and tried to shout to my squad, but realised there was no sound here either, and they just kept walking ahead of me, oblivious. Then I spun around and saw, running at me from a side-tunnel, some kind of rat/human/mummy swinging a scythe at my head.

Que bullet time. I leapt to the side, simultaneously drawing dual pistols and started unloading in midair on the ratmanmummy (no doubt firing special interdimensional 9mm's that hurt special inerdimensional beings). It was hurt, but wasn't going down yet. Instead of coming after me when I landed on the ground, it ran past, toward the unprotected backs of my squad mates who still had no idea what was going on.

I kicked off the side of the wall (still in slomo) and continued firing while flying sideways, parallel to the ratmanmummy's course. It still wasn't going down, and had the scythe drawn back, approaching the the back of a squad mate. Worried about firing towards my friends, I kicked off the bottom of tunnel, jumping up to the top, then kicked off of the ceiling, adopting a trajectory that took me right over the head of the beast, firing down into its mummified head and shoulders the whole time. I passed over it and rotated so that I was still firing, now upside-down and in front of it.

It finally collapsed at about the time I heard *click* *click* from the guns. Que end of bullet-time. I somehow landed on my feet and pressed the magazine release with my thumbs, flinging the empty mags out to either side hitman-2 style. As I was reloading and all set to go kick some more interdimensional undead furry ass, my alarm clock went off and woke me up. All I could think for the first few seconds of waking was, "wow, that was awesome."

My dream right now, which I had moment before, was so out of order... It was a combination of Final Destination in a school, a bit of LEXX a bit of rats and clowns...

So, I'm in this school which is the school I always dream but I never had a school like that... And I remember something about bying chocolate donuts or something, and Mark, my classmate, was there buying donats and talking about how fat he is... And 3 crazy things happen in order... First, there is a runoff of water in the bathroom with something electrical in it... Then, someone smokes a cigarrete and makes the library on fire. And third, it's like a gas tank surroinded by a fence, and something (something bizzare) goes through the fence, breaking, and some idiot, who seems to posses pyromancy, starts to fire at the thing, in the end he gets the gas pipe and burns down in blue fire, so does the teacher, he was standing shouting at people... All this happening was surrounding one spot where I moved, quite calmly, until the gas tank broke, but there was nowhere to run, so, I just burned down or something, didn't bother me much.

But let me add there... That thing that broke through the fence... It was about collecting... stuff...Oh, something there started with IRC messaging. I messaged the guy who was crazy a bit, and he sent me hentai again, and then I was thinking about how Sinful Discharge (which is a fan mod for Heretic) contains a special snake ingredient for alchemy in Oblivion, so I went there. And it was anythinh but SC. And there was my dad doing something there... Something attacking, but we dealt with it. And speaking of that thing. It moved along the pipe, had to do with "not enough resource". So while it moved, when the pipe ended it was still flying, and broke through the fence. Twice, in fact, the first time the idiot didn't ignite the gas pipe.

After that I see a bearded man with his hands spread out and looking funny, and a message "God wishes you luck in the game!" And that figure gets a lightsaber in his right hand...

Then I see four pictures. First two I don't remember, but the others looked like a clown and a rat, and I chose the clown, as though I knew something about him. Then I get this neat tiny-font message like the one you see in mission briefings in games. And it says some crazy stuff. "The clown will help you, but you have to please His Shadow by doing more than you can." And His Shadow is some Darth Wader type of insect from LEXX. Below I see modified LEXX storyline or something "Assistant deputy backup courier Stanley Tweedle, a cluster lizard Zev, and Kai have destroyed thr Divine Order and the Gigashadow. They are deadly heretics and have to be eliminated. Your task is to steal some Moths and fly away in them. But it is better to steal the LEXX. And even better to eliminate the Last of the Brunnen-G. May His Merciful Shadow fall upon you. " I click OK, and that is where I wake up...

Edited by Forsaken

OMGLOL....Well I did'nt really have a super-uber dream that I can remember, but I remember something hilarious:

I was playing comp in the morning and my bro was still asleep, so I go in there and I go "Tom, get up!" and he mutters "even the yoghurt's against me" I then say (in a half-laughing voice) "what ?" and he says again "even the yoghurt's against me". I then walk out of his room laughing my head off. The funniest thing is, that when he finally did get up, he could not recall anything like that lol.

I have a dream story thats pretty weird. Its actually a series of dreams, or rather a recurring character in different dreams. It started about twenty years ago. I had dream that I was being pursued by some horrid demon thingy. I could not see it but I knew it was pursuing me. It never caught me but I was terrified by the chase.

About two years later, I had another dream in which a gigantic robot was coming to get me. I could see this thing and I somehow knew that it was the same thing from the first dream. In the dream, I assumed the form of a robot and battled it out with the monster/robot/demon thingy (picture Voltron versus Voltron). The battle was inconclusive and I woke up.

A few years later, I had another dream and guess who showed up, my demon buddy. It was a different thing every time but I always recognized it instantly. This time I was watching the dream from a gods eye view, I was looking down on this crazy nightmare town where a werewolf thingy was chasing me. The thing was my old buddy again, it looked completely different but I knew it. In this dream I managed to hide in a backyard until I woke up.

Now about nine years ago I had another dream, this time I was standing in an empty house. I was not alone though and I recognized the presence of my old enemy. This recognition allowed me a moment of lucidity and I called out to it "Show yourself." It did. The walls, the house melted into a creature of flesh, imagine an M.C. Escher work done in bone and meat and gut. Its head was like a deer skull with eyes and its body was resembled an ArchVile from Doom. We looked at each other for a short time and then I woke up. I felt as if I had resolved some big problem, I remember laughing while lieing in the bed. I have never seen the thing again but I would know it in a second if it returns.

I wonder why half the dreams are about danger? And I had some dreams that were repeats, after about 5 years, of my former dreams... Dreams are strange, and half the time they don't make sense.

I have spent a week in bed with really bad tonsillitis. I haven't eaten anything since April, and because of some bad swallowing problems can't get enough water going in compared to the amount coming out, so I'm extremely dehydrated. I'm starting to recover now but at one point around wednesday I was extremely delusional. I had a blanket with blue and white stripes on it and at one point I became convinced that my blanket was somehow representitive of the holy mountain in Isreal where Jesus Christ would return at the end of the world.

Don't ask me why! :blink:

I'm dreaming very vividly, or, used to. Work has me so exhausted lately, I only rarely remember any dreams (you know the feeling, being too tired to dream?).

I have one very special dream. Or series. It's complicated.

At some point in my life, I dreamed of a city - apart from slightly strange architecure and layout, nothing unusual. Still, it stuck in my mind because of several reasons:

First, it was lucid. Not only was I aware that I was dreaming, I also could decide on my actions in complete freedom and it lacked that "dreamfeel" when you witness yourself doing something and later, when awake, ask yourself "why would I do something like that anyways?".

Second, it felt very real. Colors, smells, sounds... no haze that clouded it.

Third, I remembered a lot of detail after I woke up. Not all, unfortunately.

But what happened there? Well, nothing unusal. I was strolling the streets, doing a bit sight-seeing, like a tourist. Nothing spectacular, really. I went into some shop, checked out the goods (I distinctively remember an art store). Laughed at a few girls. Went to eat something.

Doesn't sound very exciting, eh?

Well, the real kicker set in when I dreamed of it again. Because, I remembered all from last time - I knew exactly, aha, that store is around that corner, that slope goes up to the castle, etc. So I set off and looked up some places I haven't been before. Went there, did my stuff. And the next time I visited there, those parts were there, too.

This never happend to me with any other dream I ever had. I mean, I have had re-occurring dreams, that would run exactly like watching some familiar movie. But this was different. While the city remained the same, my actions did not, nor did those of it's inhabitants. And everytime I was in full control of my actions.

It was like being teleported into some place, and getting familiar with it.

Over the years, I've been to the city's castle, library, main market and museum. I've chilled at a waterfountain, or in the public bath there. I've met people, and yes, once or twice I was trespassing and checking out a especially neat house's garden. And everytime I had a "city dream", I realised it instantly and smiled.

Writing about it makes me a little sad, in fact. I haven't been there in years, haven't written down anything about it and the memory begins to fade (although I doubt I'll ever forget some of the major events). And, having spent a lot of time thinking about it and discussing it with friends, I noticed a very curios detail about it: I can't put my finger on where, or exactly what, this place is.

Although I remember talking to people, I don't really remember the topics. Or the language, even. I spent money there, but don't know what currency I used. I was in the city library (incredible place) and read books, but don't remember exactly what they were about or what language they were written in. No way to pinpoint it. Oh, and I didn't mention yet, although the architecture is very 17th-18th century with some outlandish bits and a general, odd twist, there are modern cars and stuff. Cloth looks modern, too. So, no reincarnation ramblings please. :)

Damn. Those are some crazy dreams. Hey Schat, you could try and draw the layout of the city from what you remember, perhaps even make a city mission from it, that way you won't miss it again ;)

Damn. Those are some crazy dreams. Hey Schat, you could try and draw the layout of the city from what you remember, perhaps even make a city mission from it, that way you won't miss it again ;)

That is a beautiful idea.

I've tried to draw some scenes from one dream I had about three years ago. The dream was like being inside a cartoon style video game map, a series of paths and bridges through a forest. There were streams under the bridges and laughing silvery carp the size of sofa cushions. One of the paths ended at a little hut, another ended and sitting there was a black spiky creature with a horn shaped snout, kind of like the Phillies Phanatic mascot but more insect like. This thing wasnt all bad but wasnt to be trusted, I somehow knew.

There was a man walking on the path, with a heavy overcoat and a large brimmed hat. I could only see the lower portion of his face but he was smiling the smile of someone who knows an important secret. He was pointing towards something as well. I felt that he was a wizard of some kind, definitely powerful.

The dream felt dangerous but really exhilarating as well. In some ways it left me with a feeling like when the Smith character wanders in Faerie in Tolkien's "Smith of Wooten Major", one of the eeriest scenes I've ever read in a fantasy story.

Unfortunately I don't dream as I used to either, at least I dont remember them. I think I need a long vacation.

Edited by Maximius

I had a real doozy of a dream a few years back. It was insanely epic, so I'll try to keep to a brief summary...

In the not too-distant future, a largish planetoid (maybe 1/4 the size of the moon) floats into a near-earth orbit. International investigations (mostly NASA, Russian, & Chinese space programs at first) determine that beneath its mineral "rind" there is a big, squishy layer of biomechanical flesh like material-- and then it's hollow in the middle. You can enter thru a (manmade) tunnel and walk around on the inside surface, albeit a little awkwardly. The flesh-like layer is very malleable & easily manipulated-- it's like genetic engineering made simple. A weird artificial sun in the middle of the hollow spot provides abundant energy for construction & experimentation.

Flash forward a decade or two into the future... Millions upon millions of people have *emigrated* into the sphere, and they're changing themselves. I'm with 'em. Some remain relatively humanoid, others are like human brains in giant wormy bodies that swim *through* the fleshy layer, others are "flyers" that swoop around in the hollow space-- and that's just for starters. It's really beautiful, though. Despite the fact that many of these modified bodies would evoke screams of terror if seen planetside in RL, the society in the sphere is very pleasant, cordial, enjoyable... everybody is having a good time, it seems. But trouble is ahead.

Several more spheres (and scary-looking triangular craft) start floating in, gradually but surely, from the edge of the solar system. The sphere residents are aware of this before anybody else, and there's PANIC. It seems that this sphere wasn't ours to play with, and it's wanted back. Now that we're dependant on it for, well, living, this is a big problem. A phrase keeps circulating throught the "modified" populace: "The landlords are returning. The landlords are returning." Not willing to go peacefully, most decide that, right or wrong, we've got to fight.

Going forward a couple of months: "They" have a arrived, and they're HORRIBLE. We've got to fight them while blind in order to even keep composure. I have modified my body into a sort of hook-beast that can rocket along the interior of the flesh layer at terrific speeds... the sense of movement is exhilirating, the fight desparate, spectacular... I'm weaving and dodging, fighting thru my sense of touch, eyes on the "ground", upset by the additional "coring" that the returning "landlords" have made. Right in the middle of a great jump, spinning and dodging, I woke up.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Whoa, that's one crazy dream too....Hell you could make a game out of that scenario.

The triangular craft, did they look something like this?

Thats from X2 & 3 but just thought that maybe that's what you imagined?