The Dark Mod Forums

3rd Person

Arumakani

BTW, I also enjoyed The Cradle. (Or perhaps I should say: I was really frightened by this place?) It was one of my best gaming experiences... when I played TDS for the first time. My second attempt was no so enjoyable. Etc. Perhaps it's the case of all horror-like levels... Perhaps I played TDS too much (Polish publisher found out that I am a Thief fan and litarature teacher at the same time, so I was contacted and hired to prepare official Polish translation and beta test it)... but some levels from T1/2 (Constantine's mansion!) left stronger (and more thrilling) memory imprint in my mind...

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the level design was far more open, and a lot larger in the other Thief games Bukary? Were there many different ways to complete a mission then? I remeber I briefly played a Thief 1 level years ago, but at the time I liked MGS. Much to my regret now.

Just in case you missed the other reply Bukary mate.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Just in case you missed the other reply Bukary mate.

We probably shouldn't start TDS versus T1/2 discussion here, but yes, you hit the nail on the head: the level design in TDP and TMA was far more open, a lot larger, and there were more different ways to complete a mission. Some people also despite TDS artistic direction ("cartoonish" gadgets, persons, animations and textures, dull colour palette etc.), yet I found it quite interesting...

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I'm really going to have to get these then. The problem is playing older games now. I can't play XBox games anymore since getting the 360 and HDTV. But you guys have got me intrigued...

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/857266/Thi...ck/Product.html

Doesn't seem to be Thief Gold though.

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Pity you obviously can't accept other people's opinions just like ZylonBane. Good thing Domarius and some of the others can.

Re-read the thread. Where exactly was I not accepting an opinion? My response had nothing to do with your opinions on gaming. Since I made my point in the other post, I won't bother repeating it. If you have a problem with a person, you should take it up with the person - not a country.

It's also a tad hypocritical to whine at someone for 'not accepting' your opinion because they disagree with it. Might need to think about that one a little deeper.

I saw nothing flawed about his reply. It was coherent, grammatically and syntactically correct, logically supported previous assertions, and contained reasonable suggestions.

As I remarked earlier in this thread, and you have just verified, such consideration is obviously wasted on you.

So New Horizon, it's obvious Bane is trying to bait me. Anyway the Cathedral level is it similar to the Cradle? In the sense is it sort of like a horror level.

For god's sake, go to ebay or google Thief Dark Project or Gold and get the game and play it. Then you won't have to keep wondering why everyone around here keeps referring back to it as the better paradigm for gameplay.

Yes the Haunted Cathedral is f'ing awesome (edit: and Return to the Cathedral, I was thinking of both). It is horror, but in a different way than the Cradle, not so much in the atmosphere (although that's there too), but more built into the gameplay, and the way you have to sneak around, which is why NH could say it has such great replay value.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It is horror, but in a different way than the Cradle, not so much in the atmosphere (although that's there too), but more built into the gameplay, and the way you have to sneak around, which is why NH could say it has such great replay value.

Just the whole lead in to the haunted cathedral sets it up perfectly. :) TDS just didn't have the same luxury since the levels were so small. In the originals, you would often have to travel quite a distance just to reach the main areas of the map...in TDS, you're pretty much just dropped outside the target area after the level load. I don't count the city sections since they're separate maps.

The problem with Haunted Cathedral and Return to the Haunted Cathedral is that they rely heavily on the player being relatively new to Thief, and hence not so good at combat. All those critters aren't nearly as scary when you know exactly how to chop them down.

But the first two or three times through... woah.

Obviously they're there for atmosphere and mood, but certianly something is a lot more scary when you have no idea how to kill it, or what its abilities are, plus the fact they are totally unnatural to begin with, so there's no way to work out even roughly what they will be capable of, unlike the first time you see a human guard, where you can at least guess at his abilites and weaknesses.

I think the phrase we're looking for here is 'familiarity breeds contempt'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Cheers guys, just ordered the buggers !!!

P.S. demagogue me olde mucker as Del Boy would say, I've ordered the double pack that I already linked to earlier from Play.com :P:D