The Dark Mod Forums

3rd Person

Arumakani

But no one's telling you what to do. We were just trying to explain how the game becomes easier, that is all.

Blooming hell mate. I never said that it was or wasn't, I'm just unsure from my gaming experiences. You realise that ZylonBane has set everyone, myself mainly down this path, has extracted himself from this thread covertly and is laughing to himself and the product of his prattishness?

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blooming hell mate. I never said that it was or wasn't, I'm just unsure from my gaming experiences. You realise that ZylonBane has set everyone, myself mainly down this path, has extracted himself from this thread covertly and is laughing to himself and the product of his prattishness?

Don't inflate his already unessecarily huge ego. He could be on ignore for all I care.

I made that post because when you said "Gaming is personal choice with regards to what you play," I thought you were replying to the one directly before it - me clarifying I was talking about Thief games. Maybe you were replying to demagogue. If you quoted him it would have made it clearer.

Well if you are still unsure, try playing the same T3 level, with and without third person.

You should find that demagogues little algorithm "Information is proportionate to perspective" is quite true.

To take it to the extreme, imagine you had a birds eye view of the level, like an RTS game. Heaps of info there, you can see pretty much every single guard.

Well having the camera float behind you like that is a step towards that extreme.

Thank you my friend Domarius. I will. I still think the Cradle is one of the best levels ever in a video game. It's even more cool then Silent Hill. I think I'll leave this thread to be. The others can hurl abuse at me if they want. Sound like a proper martyr don't I :D

I ordered brand new factory sealed Thief 3, for £6.89 incl p&p. Will play through it agian in both perspectives, and with John P's texture pack. Can you point me to any reccomended fan missions? I found this: http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/fmarchive.htm any of them reccomended?

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

I can tell you a lot of good T2 fan missions, but from lack of time, I haven't touched a single T3 fan mission, so I'm not the person to ask.

Regarding the texture pack, it's great and all, but I'm not sure the loading times are worth it. I've managed to work out how to keep 2 seperate folders -one copy of T3 with the texture pack, one without. I keep switching between them (well when I had time, and I was playing it). I like the fast loading, I'm still trying to decide wether I like the higher res textures enough to warrant the longer load times.

I have Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz, 512 MBram, and ATI graphics card. I also use the tweak guides:

http://www.tweakguides.com/TDS_1.html

SHould this be enough for running textures etc at best resolution. My graphics card is the one for the laptop stuff.

As I said I took ZylonBane's one personally, not anyone elses, and I was making a comparison, not a

First rule of Thief related forums: Don't take ZylonBanes comments to heart. :) He is always like that. Most of the time I like his comments though, because they go usually straight to the core.

Gerhard

:D Got to mate. Name calling has to be replied with name calling, so does stupidity.

Strange comment IMO. So if somebody guives a stupid comment, you think the issue will be easier resolved by replying with an equally stupid comment?

Gerhard

I have Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz, 512 MBram, and ATI graphics card. I also use the tweak guides:

http://www.tweakguides.com/TDS_1.html

SHould this be enough for running textures etc at best resolution. My graphics card is the one for the laptop stuff.

You should say exactly what ATi card.

But in terms of the texture pack, as longas you have more than 64mb of video ram, you won't see a difference, according to John P.

I have 256mb of video ram, and I performed the exact same test with and without the texture pack, by rotationg on the spot in a certain complex room in T3, and looking at the fraps frame rate counter.

Without a doubt, the texture pack made no difference whatsoever to my frame rate. The ONLY thing it affected was the loading time, and it did so fairly significantly, enough to make me re-consider using it.

Strange comment IMO. So if somebody guives a stupid comment, you think the issue will be easier resolved by replying with an equally stupid comment?

:D I was being silly. To tell you the truth I am unsure about the vibe of the forums, whether they are light hearted or serious. It is childish that comment I made. And I apologise. Sometimes I feel like my back is up against the wall here and I resort to what the great Japanese sword saint Miyamoto Musashi says with regards to dealing with multiple oponents.

You should say exactly what ATi card.

But in terms of the texture pack, as longas you have more than 64mb of video ram, you won't see a difference, according to John P.

I have to check the graphics card at home. So loading is the only issue? Surely the more powerful the system, then shouldn't be affected by the loading times so much?

:D I was being silly. To tell you the truth I am unsure about the vibe of the forums, whether they are light hearted or serious. It is childish that comment I made. And I apologise. Sometimes I feel like my back is up against the wall here and I resort to what the great Japanese sword saint Miyamoto Musashi says with regards to dealing with multiple oponents.

I wouldn't take it to seriously. :) Since most of us dislike 3rd person view, you have a hard stand definding it, though. :)

Gerhard

I found this: http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/fmarchive.htm any of them reccomended?

Definitely try Rantako's All the World's a Stage and Norbik's The Crypt.

These are the best TDS FMs so far.

As for JohnP's textures... most of them are really great (especially smesh and AI textures), but there are few quite common textures that look much worse (in spite of their hi-res). I don't like this for example:

http://www.john-p.com/textures/Thief-DS/Co...on.html#Auldale

And yes, installing JohnP's texture pack makes loading time much longer.

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Excellent Bukary. Will download them for sure then.

Mind that these are very good FMs, but, unfortunately, they certainly are not as good as some of the best T1/2 FMs.

But does loading time depend on the power of the actual machine?

Yes.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I have a fairly powerful machine so hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. That pic you linked to does look very sterile and angular. Will have to see it in actual play. The missions for Thief DS are a lot more linear then 1&2 aren't they?

What else is? As said earlier I consider personally, The Cradle from Thief 3 to be one of the best levels in a game ever. Not mainly for the design, but the atmosphere. Truely special. It beats SIlent Hill 3&4 hands down, and that's just one level.

You realise that ZylonBane has set everyone, myself mainly down this path, has extracted himself from this thread covertly and is laughing to himself and the product of his prattishness?

What, you'd prefer that I stick around and continue abusing you? Make up your mind, kid.

Nice image sig, BTW. I know people will disagree with me on this, but I really enjoy seeing the exact same image five or six times per page. Do you think maybe you could upgrade it to an animated GIF? That would be just perfect.

What else is?

Well, these FMs are like, say, infants so far... in comparision with adult T1/2 FMs. ;) I don't know exactly why. And it's not because of their small size.

Strange. Some early T1/2 FMs (Bloodstone Prison, anyone?) were already masterpieces...

Will do New Horizon.

So the level design was far more open, and a lot larger in the other Thief games Bukary? Were there many different ways to complete a mission then? I remeber I briefly played a Thief 1 level years ago, but at the time I liked MGS. Much to my regret now.