The Dark Mod Forums

Modeler, Skinner, Andtexture Artist

Tealsh

Hi,

A friend of mine told me to check out the site, and I must say I'm very impressed. I noticed from this and you're moddb.com page that you could use some 3D help, and I finally have some spare time on my hands so I thought I would offer to help. I have a good deal of experience in 3D, mainly with modeling, but still a good bit with skinning and texturing. The one thing that I must admit is that I do not have much experience modeling to the level of the Doom 3 engine. The thing that I'm most concerned about is normal mapping. I use it all the time for my own work, but I have never used it under a game engine perspective. It is something I would love to learn and think I could learn quickly.

My current portfolio of work is here, Im still uploading daily, so if you have any requests for work. I was also thinking just as a quick test if you have any pieces you still need worked on, I would be happy to work on it and show what I come up with.

Anyways thanks for you're time.

Hah, Im afraid I'm not from Poland, if you mean my portfolio site is in Polish then something foul is afoot.

I'm happy to answer any questions or discuss what ever is needed. I'm getting quite excited to do some work for this project.

I like the battlemech. I played it with friends on the tabletop and read a lot of the books. But I forgot the names of the mech, though I definitely know this one. Ahh! The memories ... :)

One thing though. If you model for the mod, we expect to not only get the models themself, but also the files that are needed to change them if need be. In which app are you modelling?

Gerhard

One thing though. If you model for the mod, we expect to not only get the models themself, but also the files that are needed to change them if need be. In which app are you modelling?

Right, shoulda mentioned that, sorry. I really prefer using Maya, I just feel much more at home in it and hence work alot faster. I also REALLY like Modo, but I wouldnt do game work in it. I can work (give me a week and I'd be right up to speed) in 3DS Max and Lightwave. I've expiremented in XSI so I could use that.

From much of my prior MOD experience I know exactly how to transfer work between nearly every app from Maya's perspective. I know what can be exported from maya and what cant. Any work that I would do in Maya would be a .obj that should work with every other app. If you really would rather I work in something else I would be happy to do so, I could use the experience.

I have no problem with Maya (I like it a lot) and we have one modeler who also works with Maya now, so that is no problem. :) I just want to make sure that we can process the models if we need to in case you choose not to work with us any longer. After all you never know what happens, and we already had the situation that we had a modeler who also wanted to leave and we had nothing but pretty pictures and some finished models, we could not convert anymore. So we want to make sure about this.

You might want to check out LIghtwave as well, though, as this is natively supported by Doom as well and we have a lot of models for Lightwave already. Depends if you have to work with some of these models or not. Which version of Maya do you use?

Also note that this does not mean that you give up your rights on your models, only that you give us (the mod) the right to use the models as well. We are working on a licence that is basically a kind of GPL kind of licence for all stuff that is submitted to the mod, but limited to the context of the mod. So that others can also use all assets within their maps, as along as they are using it in the context of the mod. So if some mapper wants to use your model in his map to create a Thief style map you can not deny it to him, but if he wants to use your model for his own mod, then he would have to ask permission of you.

Gerhard

I like the licence idea lot, that makes alot of sense.

I currently use Maya 7.0 on my desktop, which is where I do most of my work. I run Maya 4.5 on my laptop.

Its a little bit of a tangeant, but one of my little projects a few months ago was to build a rendering cluster. I'm much like any other techie in that I just sort of tend to collect computers and computer parts. So I put them all together under a Linux clustering software and ran em all through an old version of Gelato. At the moment I currently have 13Ghz or rendering power in the cluster.

I like the licence idea lot, that makes alot of sense.

Good! :) I talked to people who thought that each mapper would have to ask individually for permission, which begs the question of a toolset. :) So I wanted to gett his out of the way.

I currently use Maya 7.0 on my desktop, which is where I do most of my work. I run Maya 4.5 on my laptop.

Blackthief also uses M7, so you might benefit from each other.

Its a little bit of a tangeant, but one of my little projects a few months ago was to build a rendering cluster. I'm much like any other techie in that I just sort of tend to collect computers and computer parts. So I put them all together under a Linux clustering software and ran em all through an old version of Gelato. At the moment I currently have 13Ghz or rendering power in the cluster.

Cool! :) When I was alone I also couldn't get seperated from my older machines, but now my wife doesn't like it, so I can keep one or two at most. :)

Gerhard

Haha, the first time I put it to work rendering something big (my first attempt at putting Alias After Effects into a friends movie), the power bill that month made my roomate very unhappy. I think I worked it out that it takes about $10 and hour to run...

I would like to give you a small modelling/texturing task and then I think Springheel and I can decide. There's no doubt you can model, but your portfolio isn't really showing off your texturing skills, so here're some props we still need - you can decide which one you take:

1. a wine cask reference: http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/57/a1/e2_1_b.JPG

(of course a dirtier, more medieval version)

2. a street lantern reference: http://www.suntrend.com/suntrend/images/lantern22.jpg

(minus the electric bulb)

3. a fireplace reference: http://www.stonecarver.com/fp/Potter-Fireplace.jpg

choose one of these and post your model + texture when you're done, so that we can decide on your application.

• 4 weeks later...