The Dark Mod Forums

Models in the editor

SneaksieDave

When something is "on" CVS, it only means it's there for download, not that it's rigged for in-editor use, right? Is that within the scope of the organization effort? I don't know for sure, but it seems like there are many things missing from the RMB->darkmod->*models list. It looks like the list has recently grown though, so maybe it does mean they're hooked up (I think Dram's new loot stuff is there now). I'll have to resync as soon as Verizon defuxx0rs my DSL.

It's definitely going to be necessary to categorize submenus for RMB->darkmod soon, as it already scrolls of the page at 1024. For instance, RMB->darkmod->AI, RMB->darkmod->lights, etc.

is "on" CVS, it only means it's there for download, not that it's rigged for in-editor use, right?

When I say "on CVS" in relation to models I mean it's ready to be put into a map and used.

seems like there are many things missing from the RMB->darkmod->*models list.

Not quite sure what you're refering to here. If you're talking about the pop-up window that comes up when you right-click grid in the editor, then no, most props aren't on it. Should they be? I thought the way you put static meshes in a map was with the entity window.

@Sparhawk: Don't worry too much about the category names for the def files. I'm going to change them before the milestone to what we discussed in the Level Editing forum, ie: tdmAI_* tdmfunc_*, etc. This way they'll be nicely sorted into the different groups, but tdm stuff will also be grouped together in the editor.

Yep, I mean the RMB menu. Tons of stuff doesn't show up there. I assume that's in a material file?

Should they be? I thought the way you put static meshes in a map was with the entity window.

Oh please yes. :) Many times I went to build and had to close my map, open five or so other maps where I thought I might have seen that light or table, then copy the info, close the map, reopen my map, and continue. Memorizing asset paths and names is teh suck.

As for the in-editor structure, it's probably best darkmod stuff stay with darkmod (oh shit I just realized it's not thedarkmod), do we all agree? If so, it'll need sub folders.

thedarkmod->AI

thedarkmod->architecture

thedarkmod->books

etc. But I guess we'll still have to work those details out. Crap, while we're discussing, it's probably a good time to note that some stuff might still be in wrong data folders too (before it gets harder to fix later) - in the darkmod models folder, there is

darkmod (good, supposedly going to hold everything after the reorg was done?)

chars to be kept separate? any reason?

md5 ditto?

props there's already a props folder in /darkmod, so is this leftover garbage from the reorg?

weapons why would that be separate?

Many times I went to build and had to close my map, open five or so other maps where I thought I might have seen that light or table, then copy the info, close the map, reopen my map, and continue. Memorizing asset paths and names is teh suck.

Huh? Why do you have to do this? I never have to do that when I'm adding props to a map. You just make a brush, go to models in the entity window, and choose from the list. Am I missing something?

Are they all covered there? I wasn't sure and thought some (many) were missing. If they're all there, great!

Edit: and if so, then it does beg the question - what do we need/want in RMB menu support? Is that just for objects with behavior? Whereas the entity/models browser is for static meshes? I wish there was more info for this stuff, other than exhaustive searches of d3world.org. :\

Edit2: Wow, there IS a lot of stuff in there now. Sorry for the confusion. Things were broken (black, missing) for so long, I stopped checking. Looks freaking great now. :wub:

Is that just for objects with behavior? Whereas the entity/models browser is for static meshes?

That's how I understood it.

Wow, there IS a lot of stuff in there now.

Yep, we're up to about 80 models now. :)

in the darkmod models folder, there is

darkmod (good, supposedly going to hold everything after the reorg was done?)

chars to be kept separate? any reason?

md5 ditto?

props there's already a props folder in /darkmod, so is this leftover garbage from the reorg?

weapons why would that be separate?

chars and md5 are separate because moving them would mess up all the animations and .def files for the AI. Moving the weapons did the same for the broadhead. I forget what's in props, but there was either something significant, or something I wasn't sure whether it was significant.

@Sparhawk: Don't worry too much about the category names for the def files. I'm going to change them before the milestone to what we discussed in the Level Editing forum, ie: tdmAI_* tdmfunc_*, etc. This way they'll be nicely sorted into the different groups, but tdm stuff will also be grouped together in the editor.

Milestone is set for 31st of May, so if you plan to do it, you should get started soon. ;)

Gerhard

I seem to be missing a lot of threads, I think my cookies are messed up. :\

Anyway, if you're referring to the darkmod->thedarkmod or tdm shift, I'd agree with bust it all now - much better than later. It looks like there's still a lot needing changing. I can think of /darkmod in the entity list, /darkmod in the RMB entity picker thingy, /darkmod as the model folder name... hrm. That one, the folder name, maybe we shouldn't touch those. They're just folders on the hard drive, and the textures use /darkmod too, so it would cause a whole reorg nightmare. ARGH, why! *cries*

Will look for more.

Ah, that's why I left it...the lightgem models are in a subfolder of this. Spar, are these "lightgem" models being referenced by anything currently? If so, how much of a hassle would it be to move them to a different folder so we could get rid of that one?

Of course they are referenced. :) The lightgem is just another model, after all. If you move them I have no problem, only the actual lightgem model, I have to know the path if you move it. This is coded in the SDK, so I would have to change it, if you move it somewhere else.

Gerhard

So do you mind if I move it from models/props/misc to models/darkmod/props/misc?

Also, there is a rope texture in that folder as well. Ish, any chance we can move it to models/darkmod/props/textures without messing things up too badly?

It's not terribly important that it be moved, but it's just messy right now, having two prop/misc folders like that.

Anyone know how to change a md5 file? Dom?

• 2 weeks later...
you can just open the mesh files (md5mesh) with any text editor (Notepad, Wordpad)

but to really change, for example a model, you'll have to own the original files (probably maya/lightwave)

Well I don't know how many programs can convert a md5 back to lwo or whatever, but Milkshape has an importer for it, alas no exporter however.