The Dark Mod Forums

Changing The Weapon View

drumple

i ajusted the model for the shortbow view and added some effects plus different heads just to see what it

looks like in game, the arrow head models are quick mockups with placeholder textures, and the particles

need some ajustment, but it looks not to bad in game, im going to try and improve it some more and add

the noismaker and rope arrow heads later on.

fire16xv.jpg

gas12qo.jpg

the particle effects are to much, they should be more subtle, but it needs more tweaking obviously.

Nice! The important thing is we know how to do it now and the final models can be done later. The gas one looks pretty awesome, I think that gas particle effect would be fine with a more finalized head.

I forget where we eventually left off with the epic "invention vs. elemental crystals" arrow heads debate. I think we decided to put in both, but I'm not sure. The technological version of the fire arrow was more like a black powder explosive, and the gas arrow was a metal cyllinder with holes leaking out some gas (I think that one almost everyone liked).

yeah, i liked those concepts.. however i think it would be nice regardless of what model arrowhead is used

for the fire arrow, is that when you use it, a light is bound to it so it lights you/your area up slightly...

just a nice redish/yellowish light effect... not bright but noticiable that affects the light gem also.

i was hoping the arrow heads would have shown up better, but i used a quick uv on them so all the facets

are not showing up.

in the meantime im going to add the temporary rope arrowhead which looks like this, just a grapple head

but no rope on the arrow itself.

ropeconcept13po.jpg

We have the arrow models in Odd's pack, so perhaps someone should give them to drumple to use (or do we still need the low-res versions made?)? If we're going to be putting arrows into the game they might as well be the right ones. Here's the high-render shots (I think the gas arrow had been replaced with a cylindrical canister instead):

arrows2.jpg

Drumple, since you're playing around with the bow, any chance you could look into modifying the position of the hand/bow so that it doesn't block the spot you're aiming at?

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3611

edit: Ah, here's the updated gas arrow and noise arrow:

post-9-1148301007_thumb.jpg

I think the maya files for the bow animations are in odd's pack, so someone who knows what they're doing would have to open that particular animation up and change it there, then export it back to md5, unless you could open up the md5 in a text editor and figure out where to alter the angle of the bow there.

i think i can change the angle from the original md5, could always just rotate it slightly like it is in t3, so it's

not blocking the center area so much... i'll try a test and see.

Yup, that's all we were looking for. :) We just need the angle to be such that you can see what you're doing. I referred Dom to the Prey trailer to see how they did it. Their bow and arrow just uses the arrow tip for aiming like ours.

Also, I think the only arrows we agreed would remain crystal were water, fire, moss and vines? Leaving noise, gas, rope and broadheads as the mechanical ones.

Drumple, do you have odds files? If not, I can package up the arrows for you.

I think the only arrows we agreed would remain crystal were water, fire, moss and vines

I think it was only moss and vines, actually. They would clearly be a magic arrow. The others would be Odd's mechanical designs by default, though we would inlcude crystal arrows for FM authors that wanted them.

I think it was only moss and vines, actually. They would clearly be a magic arrow. The others would be Odd's mechanical designs by default, though we would inlcude crystal arrows for FM authors that wanted them.

Ahh, ok. I'm cool with either setup, they all do the same thing anyway. :)

I was just playing around with the bow, and it should be pointed out that it's not so much that it's in your view when aiming - that's actually helpful. It just stays in the view too low after the arrow is shot. So you're trying to see where it went, but you can't because your hand stays in the way.

i have been playing with the noisemaker arrow, and for some reason i cannot add any particle trails to it,

it is an idprojectile so they should work, but what happens is the particle effect stays at the point where i

shot the arrow and does not spawn from the flying projectile at all... i have tried all kinds of ways to make

it work in the def file, infact even copying over most of the plasma projectile def and still no go...

or maybe it's just doing an initial spawn, then stops... its most peculiar.

I hate to say this, since you've already put work into it, but I'm not sure we wanted those crazy black sound diamonds coming off of the noisemaker like in Thief. :) I'm sure someone will want to use it, just not sure if we wanted the "official" one to have it.

But the sound started after it hit, which makes sense strategically. In flight it had the trippy diamonds and the weird in flight sound, but the AI didn't react to the in flight sound and it also didn't make sense strategically that the weapon would start a sound right when you fire it. Never quite made sense to me.

Oh yeah I know, that's what I was talking about when I said we don't need that special effect.

Those circles and the sound that happened when you fired were just for show, it's just the game saying "wooo this is a noise arrow, it's not like the others". That's the part I said we don't need.

The clicking noise on the ground was the realistic part.

ok ok.. i see i see.. eye sea eye sea... <0> c <0> c...

but let me attempt it anyways to see how thiefy i can get it 1st, doesnt mean we will use it. personally i would.

but thats me.. :P

there was actually 2 sounds ( well more ) for the noisemaker in thief, one was the flight sound which carried

on after the arrow hit, the other(s) were when it hit. the crackling, clicking and the 'faWeeeeeeeeeeee....."

sounds.

then there were the sparks that the arrow emitted after it hit.

im making the arrowhead for the noisemaker like the concept one, going to try to make those little gears spin

while it's active.

im making the arrowhead for the noisemaker like the concept one, going to try to make those little gears spin

while it's active.

Love the enthusiasm, but wouldn't it be more useful to work with the model that is already made? It might have to be made low-poly, I'm not sure, but why waste time reinventing the wheel?

If you don't want to download the whole Odd model pack, I'm sure someone could email you the arrow models (I'm at work right now or I'd do it myself).

Love the enthusiasm, but wouldn't it be more useful to work with the model that is already made? It might have to be made low-poly, I'm not sure, but why waste time reinventing the wheel?

If you don't want to download the whole Odd model pack, I'm sure someone could email you the arrow models (I'm at work right now or I'd do it myself).

it is the low poly one im working on.